Avi Engineer

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I designed a working circuit back when this first started and before I made the potting video. I've been debating on whether or not to start some DO-160 testing on it in a 3D printed housing just to see if I can mass produce new sensors in the aftermarket. Lots to invest to do that and by the time I had one designed and tested, FCA would release one that's covered under a 2 year parts warranty... The thought has crossed my mind.
Someplace on here was a post stating that a dealership told an owner that the Hall sensor was calibrated at the factory. That sounded unnecessary to me, but I did find this Melexis Hall sensor that does have eprom for mfg line calibration. We’re you able to determine if a standard gauss range sensor would suffice, or if calibration is actually required?

Here’s a link to the programmable version:
https://www.melexis.com/-/media/files/documents/datasheets/mlx92242-datasheet-melexis.pdf

The off state and ON state supply currents on this one (and other on-programmable versions from a few other mfgs) match well with what someone measured a while ago, on their Jeep.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The “plug-and-play“ above seems like a much safer way to go. Why isn't the above an excellent suggestion?

Also, 15 pages here and NO post from JeepCares?
This thread is providing advice for DIY methods. As the Customer Care Team, we do not provide feedback on DIY methods, and we always recommend working with a certified Jeep dealer to resolve vehicle concerns. If you are in need of assistance while in service, please send our team a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
This thread is providing advice for DIY methods. As the Customer Care Team, we do not provide feedback on DIY methods, and we always recommend working with a certified Jeep dealer to resolve vehicle concerns. If you are in need of assistance while in service, please send our team a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
No offense, but have you tried "working with a certified Jeep dealer to resolve vehicle concerns" lately? DIY is pretty much the only option your service departments are leaving us with.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
The “plug-and-play“ above seems like a much safer way to go. Why isn't the above an excellent suggestion?

Also, 15 pages here and NO post from JeepCares?
It's $180 per axle. For only $2,820 more per axle, you could upgrade to 1-tons.

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ‘18 JLUR
No offense, but have you tried "working with a certified Jeep dealer to resolve vehicle concerns" lately? DIY is pretty much the only option your service departments are leaving us with.
Fortunately, this has not been my experience. When my transmission went out, my dealer (Larry Miller located in Draper, Utah) promptly diagnosed and repaired the problem. Again, when my steering gear was replaced, they did it promptly (with some help from @JeepCares to expedite parts delivery) and professionally. I am also satisfied with routine maintenance and programing updates they have performed. I don’t doubt that many of you have had problems obtaining the service you deserve from your dealership. I’m just saying that they are not all bad, and in my case, they have put forth the extra effort to ensure that my Jeep is well cared for and that I am satisfied.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Fortunately, this has not been my experience. When my transmission went out, my dealer (Larry Miller located in Draper, Utah) promptly diagnosed and repaired the problem. Again, when my steering gear was replaced, they did it promptly (with some help from @JeepCares to expedite parts delivery) and professionally. I am also satisfied with routine maintenance and programing updates they have performed. I don’t doubt that many of you have had problems obtaining the service you deserve from your dealership. I’m just saying that they are not all bad, and in my case, they have put forth the extra effort to ensure that my Jeep is well cared for and that I am satisfied.
Your experience should be the "norm", but it is not. It's backwards from what it should be.

There are other threads for dealer experiences. Please keep this one straight for the locker position sensor potting.

Appreciate it guys.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your experience should be the "norm", but it is not. It's backwards from what it should be.

There are other threads for dealer experiences. Please keep this one straight for the locker position sensor potting.

Appreciate it guys.
My assumption is that Dana is not eating the recall costs. Jeep probably had design responsibility and/or specified the sensor for Dana to use. Suppliers love that crap! We have no control over the component supplier at that point. That said, that's why the push-back from dealerships to fix this problem. I'm guessing there's a system notice to all dealerships to resist the axle replacement.

Sponsored

ob-one

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 WJ, 18 Challenger, 02&04 WRX, 73 FJ40
I am in the process of potting the sensor. Front is dry but rear was have full of oil. I have drilled the 3 holes and letting the oil drip out. I also used CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. After allowing it to dry for 3 hours, used electronic duster spray and oil came out.

My questions are
1) can I use brake cleaner spray to get rid of oil ( safe on electronics)?
2) can I spray brake cleaner onto the gear to clean it?

Thanks

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am in the process of potting the sensor. Front is dry but rear was have full of oil. I have drilled the 3 holes and letting the oil drip out. I also used CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. After allowing it to dry for 3 hours, used electronic duster spray and oil came out.

My questions are

Thanks
No. Brake cleaner is no good on plastic and rubber. Never put anything other than gear oil in your differentials. Use fresh gear oil to clean your gears.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link

My questions are

Thanks
Use the Electronic cleaner to get the oil out.

Leave the brake cleaner for brakes.

ob-one

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for quick response...good thing I waited before using brake cleaner spray....using a lot of the electronic cleaning spray

Getting frustrated cause it is getting late Saturday night and can't turn on compressor to dry out the sensor.

How soon can I install sensor? ... Not planning on driving jeep till Monday

Thanks again!!!!

ob-one

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I broke the hook anchor tab (right side sensor)....will I have issues?

image.jpg
Sponsored