Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
OB-ONE
How much does that part cost new at the dealership? Maybe just buy a new one to be safe.
Sponsored

HoboJeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
I broke the hook anchor tab (right side sensor)....will I have issues?

image.jpg
@ob-one Same thing happened to me ( that little tab broke off). I put red loctite on the bolt like @chevymitchell said. Everything fit back together fine and worked.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
How did that happen? If I do go about doing it, it's something I would like to try to avoid.

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito

image.jpg
I think not. My rear one is broken off and haven’t had any problems so far. That was 8k miles ago when it was re-geared and 3k miles since potting it.

HoboJeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
How did that happen? If I do go about doing it, it's something I would like to try to avoid.
I'm not sure how it happened. I didn't notice it until I was drilling the holes. I later found the little piece of plastic laying on the garage floor under the Jeep, so it happened as I was pulling the sensor out. I think it is more of a "guide" to help you position the sensor back into the right spot and then put the bolt back in. It certainly isn't strong or large enough to be a tab that is necessary to hold the sensor in place. The bolt is definitely what holds it.

Just take it easy sliding the sensor out. If I remember correctly, you kind of slide the sensor up out of the slot it is sitting in. I may have tried to pull sideways on it. I didn't have a problem with the front one after seeing how the rear one came out.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I think you will be fine if you accidentally damage the sensor hook.

Few things I will add here to maybe be more specific.

1)There is a red latch on that must be pushed back on the male attachment before pushing a scribe or driver to detach it. This is how that tab prob got broke.

That red tab can be covered with grease and shavings and oil and can be hard to spot.

2)I would not personally take an air compressor to the sensor to remove oil, or attempt to dry it out (maybe if it has failed and will not lock), otherwise just use your spray electronics cleaner. That stuff will dry pretty quickly. It's cheap, have a few bottles on hand if you think you need to flush a few times.

3) When injecting potting, inject exactly like in @chevymitchell 's video on the 1st pages....potting material must and should run out the low air hole. One could under inject and create a bubble. However if you do this exactly as OP did, and let sensors film properly while taped for at least 12-16 hours you will be fine.

One tube of material will do 4 sensors with leftovers, and I was a sloppy pig and overflowed each of them and tossed the tips.

Sponsored

RubiHOG

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2017 Harley Road Glide
Has anyone heard if the stock sensors have been updated in any way? I was just hit with this issue on a road trip yesterday. 75 MPH down the highway (in 2wd obviously) and my dash says my rear locker is engaged. 6,000 miles on the Jeep. I hit the unlock button and the light flashed for the next 4 hours as it tried to unlock. I don’t particularly want a new axle with the same faulty sensor installed just to have the same issue appear down the line.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I did my potting Wednesday evening. I added extra material to the bottom cavity and left it sitting on the table. One of the sensors turned out perfect, but the other must have had an air pocket, because the bottom hole was exposed a bit. It appeared as though the epoxy settled around the interior more and left a trace of the drilled hole.

I was pretty sure it was still sealed, but didn't like the look. I found my tube that I discarded in the trash with the syringe still attached.

The syringe was a click to lock tube that mixed the epoxy along the shaft. It was hardened and not usable, as expected.

I removed the syringe and squirted the epoxy components onto a flat surface and then mixed the two parts with a wooden pick. I used that mixture to fill in the cavity to seal it better. I'll know in a few hours how well this worked.

My plan is after 24 hours to use a metal pick and tweezer to see if that resin will come out or if it bonded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I did my potting Wednesday evening. I added extra material to the bottom cavity and left it sitting on the table. One of the sensors turned out perfect, but the other must have had an air pocket, because the bottom hole was exposed a bit. It appeared as though the epoxy settled around the interior more and left a trace of the drilled hole.

I was pretty sure it was still sealed, but didn't like the look. I found my tube that I discarded in the trash with the syringe still attached.

The syringe was a click to lock tube that mixed the epoxy along the shaft. It was hardened and not usable, as expected.

I removed the syringe and squirted the epoxy components onto a flat surface and then mixed the two parts with a wooden pick. I used that mixture to fill in the cavity to seal it better. I'll know in a few hours how well this worked.

My plan is after 24 hours to use a metal pick and tweezer to see if that resin will come out or if it bonded.
Oh yeah, you'll be good to go. No worries at all.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Oh yeah, you'll be good to go. No worries at all.
Thanks--first time using this stuff.

Both of my sensors where full . I used a lot of the QD electronic cleaner and was able to verify clear cleaning fluid coming out of all the holes.

FIngers crossed that the sensors work!

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Thanks--first time using this stuff.

Both of my sensors where full . I used a lot of the QD electronic cleaner and was able to verify clear cleaning fluid coming out of all the holes.

FIngers crossed that the sensors work!
how many miles on your rig?

FWIW, I had an air bubble like you describe and went over it again later. No worries.
Sponsored