Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I had thought about potting the sensor on my new Mopar UD44 4.88 prior to installation (waiting on Reid knuckles to get back from the powder coat shop-making them black) but since the axle was built in 2019 and had been sitting in a warehouse, I think I should make sure everything works and then pot during first fluid change at 1000 miles. Not a chance in hell this sensor is a revision...

As for the rear axle, I will pot as soon as I install the Dana Spicer 4.88 gears...However I am still waiting on a backordered Dana chromoly drivers side axle!
Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
This thread is providing advice for DIY methods. As the Customer Care Team, we do not provide feedback on DIY methods, and we always recommend working with a certified Jeep dealer to resolve vehicle concerns. If you are in need of assistance while in service, please send our team a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
I'm sorry but this is hilarious. I have had 3 new rear axles put in my Jeep because of this issue. It's ridiculous when I have to go to the dealership to get a rear axle more often than I change the oil. And the last time I was at the dealership they broke more than they fixed. I reached out to Jeep Cares about it and never heard back. Still dealing with it more than 3 months later and several visits to the dealership between.

jhmartin

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Clubs

I'm guessing that potting the sensor voids the warranty on some combination of the lockers / diff / axle?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing that potting the sensor voids the warranty on some combination of the lockers / diff / axle?
I doubt they'd ever notice that.

Sponsored

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I'm not sure you'll be able to tell if the issue has been fixed or not. I know supposedly there is a new version of the sensor, but not sure if it is any different cosmetically.
I have a 2021 that I took delivery of in September. Changed my fluid out at 4600 miles to clean out any metal shavings and there were quite a few. The sensors looked the same as all the others poster here so I dont think mine has a later revision. That said, I didn't have any oil in mine so it's possible it's been resolved or I have a good pair.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have a 2021 that I took delivery of in September. Changed my fluid out at 4600 miles to clean out any metal shavings and there were quite a few. The sensors looked the same as all the others poster here so I dont think mine has a later revision. That said, I didn't have any oil in mine so it's possible it's been resolved or I have a good pair.
So far.....

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Doubt it has been resolved. There are a few posts in the FB groups of low mileage 2021 Rubicons with flashing service axle lights.

I would check to see if yours are actually potted and pot them if they are not.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I would say yes. I potted 2 vehicles I own.

Wife has a 2021 that was same sensor as OP.

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Great info in this thread.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I've finally psyched myself up to tackle this... I read all 15 pages and ordered the potting material. 🤓

Some of the replies say the bearing cap bolts need not be removed, but if they are to torque to 70 ft/lbs. The link I quoted, however, does not say 70. (It actually has different specs for front and rear.)

To what specs did you torque bearing cap bolts, sensor bolt, and diff cover bolts?

Edit: This was asked and answered in post #16. Here's the answer:

Bearing Cap Bolt................................... 66.5 – 73.5 ft-lbs
Diff Cover Bolt...........................................25 – 30 ft-lbs
EDL Connector Screw .............................. 7 – 8.5 ft-lbs

Also, for the red loctite on the sensor bolt... how much are we talking? Just a drop?

Yeah, I'm overthinking this, I know.

Thanks for the awesome write up!

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I've finally psyched myself up to tackle this... I read all 15 pages and ordered the potting material. 🤓

Some of the replies say the bearing cap bolts need not be removed, but if they are to torque to 70 ft/lbs. The link I quoted, however, does not say 70. (It actually has different specs for front and rear.)

To what specs did you torque bearing cap bolts, sensor bolt, and diff cover bolts?

Edit: This was asked and answered in post #16. Here's the answer:

Bearing Cap Bolt................................... 66.5 – 73.5 ft-lbs
Diff Cover Bolt...........................................25 – 30 ft-lbs
EDL Connector Screw .............................. 7 – 8.5 ft-lbs

Also, for the red loctite on the sensor bolt... how much are we talking? Just a drop?

Yeah, I'm overthinking this, I know.

Thanks for the awesome write up!
Yeah, just a drop will do it. Nothing crazy.

No worries at all. Once you knock it out, you'll feel so much better.

Jasper519

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yeah, just a drop will do it. Nothing crazy.

No worries at all. Once you knock it out, you'll feel so much better.
I'll be tackling this in the near future, if all goes as planned. I wanna ask about the red lock tight. Thats supposed to be permanent unless heated correct? Would it not be better to use blue fo future maintenance purposes?

Another over thinker...

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I'll be tackling this in the near future, if all goes as planned. I wanna ask about the red lock tight. Thats supposed to be permanent unless heated correct? Would it not be better to use blue fo future maintenance purposes?

Another over thinker...
Yes, stop over-thinking. Use a drop of red loctite. You’ll be ok.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
... and it is always reversible so you can remove the screw again ;)
Sponsored