First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I have contacted TE twice and I only received crickets. @wibornz railed on Dana until they told him to go away. This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
I made a bid to TE to buy 100 of them. They said they could not sell them as they belonged to their automotive division and were not available to purchase.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I made a bid to TE to buy 100 of them. They said they could not sell them as they belonged to their automotive division and were not available to purchase.
It's a conspiracy...LOL

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
It seems that they could just sell them for 1000% markup and give em a part number and be done w it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have contacted TE twice and I only received crickets. @wibornz railed on Dana until they told him to go away. This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
Maybe we need to start a Rubi owner's petition or something to try and get FCA's attention. Hell, I might go for broke and send Mike Manley a paper letter.

If we did a petition, we could all share the link to it on Facebook, through Jeep clubs, and elsewhere. Then send it to Manley.

Just thinking out loud.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It seems that they could just sell them for 1000% markup and give em a part number and be done w it.
Even if they charged $100 they'd sell a bunch of them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Even if they charged $100 they'd sell a bunch of them.
I designed a working circuit back when this first started and before I made the potting video. I've been debating on whether or not to start some DO-160 testing on it in a 3D printed housing just to see if I can mass produce new sensors in the aftermarket. Lots to invest to do that and by the time I had one designed and tested, FCA would release one that's covered under a 2 year parts warranty... The thought has crossed my mind.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
So then Jeep is saying to run a thinner fluid, in contrast to Dana Spicer to pick up MPG's?!
since both front and rear start at 75 (the cold number) the fluid would be the same thickness. I would run the 75w-140 in both axles because the 140 means it can handle higher temperature.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I designed a working circuit back when this first started and before I made the potting video. I've been debating on whether or not to start some DO-160 testing on it in a 3D printed housing just to see if I can mass produce new sensors in the aftermarket. Lots to invest to do that and by the time I had one designed and tested, FCA would release one that's covered under a 2 year parts warranty... The thought has crossed my mind.
If you crowd funded it, I'd be one of the first in!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
NERD

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Small town, find a worker and set up an eBay shop, haha

I did my wife's rear (har) today, her jeeps rear.

I did not use loctite on the diff cover bolts, as there was some residue, I just snugged up to the washer without mashing the snot outta it. I did use blue on the sensor bolt.

FWIW, one should also pay attention when reconnecting the sensor, the harness has a lock that is red that snaps down after you sit it.

Also, one container of the potting material is enough for four sensors.
I might know a guy or two that works there .... maybe liberate a couple of samples for some prototype work?

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A few thoughts, sorry if I step on any toes:

1: I wonder if just drilling one drain hole in the sensor would alleviate the problem? Oil would NOT just sit in the housing all the time, but would drain back out. Of course, that might just delay the inevitable failure until after the warranty expires.

2: If I ever get my JL delivered, I plan to run at least 5k on it and drain the fluid to see if there's excessive metal chips, and if Jeep has fixed the sensor. When doing so, I'll probably just crack the cover to drain the punkin' juice like I do on my CJs and not fool with the drain plug. Without seeing one in person, can you clean the magnet in place or does the plug need to be pulled?

3: I can't remember who did it, but NEVER, NEVER put anything other than gear oil in the diff. Any kind of cleaner or solvent is asking for trouble. Would be difficult to get it all out without doing a good rinse with gear oil; in which case, why not just flush it with gear oil exclusively?

4: Since the Sahara and Sport don't present an error code with the Rubicon axles installed what indicates that the locker is engaged? Is there an add-on kit with a light? Could the Rubi software be modified to ignore the fault or is that looking for trouble?

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
A few thoughts, sorry if I step on any toes:

1: I wonder if just drilling one drain hole in the sensor would alleviate the problem? Oil would NOT just sit in the housing all the time, but would drain back out. Of course, that might just delay the inevitable failure until after the warranty expires.

2: If I ever get my JL delivered, I plan to run at least 5k on it and drain the fluid to see if there's excessive metal chips, and if Jeep has fixed the sensor. When doing so, I'll probably just crack the cover to drain the punkin' juice like I do on my CJs and not fool with the drain plug. Without seeing one in person, can you clean the magnet in place or does the plug need to be pulled?

3: I can't remember who did it, but NEVER, NEVER put anything other than gear oil in the diff. Any kind of cleaner or solvent is asking for trouble. Would be difficult to get it all out without doing a good rinse with gear oil; in which case, why not just flush it with gear oil exclusively?

4: Since the Sahara and Sport don't present an error code with the Rubicon axles installed what indicates that the locker is engaged? Is there an add-on kit with a light? Could the Rubi software be modified to ignore the fault or is that looking for trouble?
1. no-as soon as a shaving makes it's way into that hole it can fry board. Sensor has magnets....the probability is almost assured w a hole. Once you clean all the crap off the sensor you will understand.

2. Not in the two i've seen. Not my experience w others as well.

3. I don't think anyone has put anything other than gear oil in their diff.

4. No clue.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
1. no-as soon as a shaving makes it's way into that hole it can fry board. Sensor has magnets....the probability is almost assured w a hole. Once you clean all the crap off the sensor you will understand.

2. Not in the two i've seen. Not my experience w others as well.

3. I don't think anyone has put anything other than gear oil in their diff.

4. No clue.
@HungryHound:

Agree with Neil's thoughts and would add:

1. Some (and likely in my case) have not experienced failures because they have not used the lockers when the module was filled with oil. Additionally, these axles produce more iron than any I have ever seen.

2. Not sure what the trepidation is regarding the drain plug. By all means pull it, it will be absolutely covered in iron goop and pulling it is the only way to clean it. I would not go past 5K for the initial oil change and would be prepared to pot the sensors at the same time.

3. A simple wipe down with lint free towels is good enough, no need to spray solvent in it.

4. Since the Sahara and Sport do not have the wiring or systems to support the locker from the factory, not sure what they are using to engage the lockers other than a switch. Just pot the sensors early and be thankful that others like @chevymitchell have figured this out.
Sponsored