First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Still safer and better to have than the POS halogens that Jeep will not move on from.
I guess it’s a matter of perspective. I can drive just fine with them. They’re not like my HID Challenger headlights but that can be partially remedied with a brighter bulb option with some heat generated to keep the headlight from icing over most times for us. It worked in the UP for us last winter. Could see well enough for the speeds we were driving too.
Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Still safer and better to have than the POS halogens that Jeep will not move on from.
I disagree with the claims about LED headlights being safer. If you are alone on the road and the only LEDs around are your own, then yes it could be safer. However on local streets or highways I find that LEDs from other vehicles have a blinding effect such that any area not illuminated by an LED headlight will be otherwise darker to human eyes. My claim is that the proliferation of LED headlights has made driving at night more hazardous for me because all the less illuminated regions in my field of view are now even more difficult to see than when everyone sported halogen bulbs..

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Wrangler headlights bad in wet snow... old news.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I had LED lights on all of my TJ/LJ's eventually. Hated them in snow. They are badass alone on a forest road at night, but in active snow they suck and I like the mountains. My JL was a base model rubicon intentionally so I could make it as light as possible and save money for mods. When I get around to it I'll be putting in the heated LED's from quadratec. They're made by JW Speaker and are very solid.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Most of this is the type of snow. Heck, I lived in buffalo for 8 years. Ice on headlights was normal.

That being said, a nice pair of those hella amber fogs (square) or the PIAA Ambers (round) would not hurt the situation a bit. I've been considering a pair, and will prob go with the PIAA.

I will not get rid of LEDs expecting the kids lunchbox forward design of the light to improve.

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had the JW Speaker heated lens 8700’s in my JK and never had issues with building up snow ever. Wet sloppy snow or dry light snow.

So for those who say it’s a design lapse with the inset headlight, JW Speakers work.

Now if they could just get the 9” headlight out that they have supposedly been working on forever since the JL came out that would be great.

I have mad respect for design and mechanical engineers but seriously you have the 7” out for the JK, stretch it a couple inches and you’re there. Why it is taking so long is well beyond my patience.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I had the JW Speaker heated lens 8700’s in my JK and never had issues with building up snow ever. Wet sloppy snow or dry light snow.

So for those who say it’s a design lapse with the inset headlight, JW Speakers work.

Now if they could just get the 9” headlight out that they have supposedly been working on forever since the JL came out that would be great.

I have mad respect for design and mechanical engineers but seriously you have the 7” out for the JK, stretch it a couple inches and you’re there. Why it is taking so long is well beyond my patience.
There are several 7-inch headlight adapters for JL out there: https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...CQSNu2L20hsZY1zs8XSTCy0U8ydsHxQhoClxYQAvD_BwE

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I occasionally question my decision to live in SC and then up pops a thread about snow on the headlights.
I hear you, I live down in FL but after this hurricane season snow is looking pretty good.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I disagree with the claims about LED headlights being safer. If you are alone on the road and the only LEDs around are your own, then yes it could be safer. However on local streets or highways I find that LEDs from other vehicles have a blinding effect such that any area not illuminated by an LED headlight will be otherwise darker to human eyes. My claim is that the proliferation of LED headlights has made driving at night more hazardous for me because all the less illuminated regions in my field of view are now even more difficult to see than when everyone sported halogen bulbs..
Absolutely. The LEDs are way too bright on JLs and many vehicles. They're completely unnecessary. It's an unpopular opinion with the chorus but they're dangerous when not on rural roads. Even on rural roads just use your high beams with Halogens, that's what they're for. The point of headlights is to see what's in front of you. Not absolutely everything and anything while also blinding oncoming traffic.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
LED's aren't the problem. The problem is the high number of people that cheap out and put led bulbs in reflector housings that were designed for halogen lighting. Add to that, the number of people who are too inconsiderate or don't care that their headlamps are aimed too high. My 19 JLUR came from the factory with the lights a bit high. On my second night of ownership, I fine tuned mine to a happy balance of being able to see as far down the road as needed, without blinding the sedans.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Add to that a growing number of drivers who are either too inconsiderate or lazy to lower their beams around town.

In their stupid heads: more light = more better.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Add to that a growing number of drivers who are either too inconsiderate or lazy to lower their beams around town.

I agree.

"More Better". Lol! My father in law used to say that all the time. I guess it stuck with me. So much so that when I got my JL MOAB, the plate was a no brainer....

20200719_224157.jpg

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
I had LED lights on all of my TJ/LJ's eventually. Hated them in snow. They are badass alone on a forest road at night, but in active snow they suck and I like the mountains. My JL was a base model rubicon intentionally so I could make it as light as possible and save money for mods. When I get around to it I'll be putting in the heated LED's from quadratec. They're made by JW Speaker and are very solid.
I had the quadratec jw speaker heated LEDs on my JK. They didnt work worth a shit for melting snow. So bad I thought they were defective. quadratec was very good about sending me a new set however the new one had the same result.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails

Too busy fiddle f#*king with my phone to worry about my lights blinding someone else, their problem for being on my road

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
I had the quadratec jw speaker heated LEDs on my JK. They didnt work worth a shit for melting snow. So bad I thought they were defective. quadratec was very good about sending me a new set however the new one had the same result.
Did you have the newer design with the heating element or the original design without it?
Sponsored