LED Headlight Fail - Winter Driving

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Fees like we need to reiterate this every time this is discussed. The icing over prevalent on JL's is not an issue of LED vs halogen. Halogens also don't get hot enough to melt ice. Want proof? Drive around in a vehicle with halogens for 3 hours, they'll be slightly warm but still cool enough for you to touch.

The JL's issue is that the headlights are inset. This creates a small air pocket where snow and ice can build up. Contrast this with most modern vehicles, where the headlights are part of the exterior styling, so snow/ice just blow off from air friction as the vehicle drives.
Sponsored

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I live in he northeast and didn’t get the factory LED option for this reason (cost also). Plan to install an aftermarket heated LED

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FCA could add headlamp squirters as part of the Cold Weather Group.

Heck, my $30,000 Fiat 124 Spider came with headlamp squirters and that thing doesn’t even go out in winter.

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Fees like we need to reiterate this every time this is discussed. The icing over prevalent on JL's is not an issue of LED vs halogen. Halogens also don't get hot enough to melt ice. Want proof? Drive around in a vehicle with halogens for 3 hours, they'll be slightly warm but still cool enough for you to touch.

The JL's issue is that the headlights are inset. This creates a small air pocket where snow and ice can build up. Contrast this with most modern vehicles, where the headlights are part of the exterior styling, so snow/ice just blow off from air friction as the vehicle drives.
Thank you for saving my breathe. I am tired of explaining this lol.

I have found that it really depends on the type of snow that is falling, and the temp. Super dry snow and cold weather its fine. Warmer, wetter snow, sticks like glue.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
My KC lights melted the plastic covers too.
Jeep Wrangler JL LED Headlight Fail - Winter Driving 4D6BF8E3-0446-440D-8797-0F3E296D631E

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
That’s so true. They are the worst. LEDs are so damn cheap right now they need to make them standard.

Well, I’ll be shopping around for driving lights that I can attach to the winch guard now that don’t freeze up. I’m sure the MOPAR version of their off-road lights which are LED are no better than the headlights.

if anyone has done this and has recommendations please let me know. Thx
I installed KC 5" round halogen fogs on the winch guard. I keep the covers on them until winter. They definitely put out enough heat to melt snow as you drive. I have had my LED headlights freeze over while traveling. Don't forget to check your LED taillights occasionally as you travel.
I really like my LED's though.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Thank you for saving my breathe. I am tired of explaining this lol.

I have found that it really depends on the type of snow that is falling, and the temp. Super dry snow and cold weather its fine. Warmer, wetter snow, sticks like glue.
Don't forget frozen fog. that will block em up too.

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
FCA could add headlamp squirters as part of the Cold Weather Group.

Heck, my $30,000 Fiat 124 Spider came with headlamp squirters and that thing doesn’t even go out in winter.
Interesting, my 2018 ND Miata did not have that feature. Interesting that they added it on the Fiat version

BCmOI1U.jpg

seTk0RF.png

Sponsored

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
I occasionally question my decision to live in SC and then up pops a thread about snow on the headlights.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
For the reasons stated you would think someone would design /make a lens that attaches to the outer ring to sit flush with grill, so it would be flat and the force of air would push the snow off ....heck add a heating element in that with a connector to the light! Like a light cover but clear so the benefit of light is still there unencumbered by the build up of snow.

KDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Was up in Denver yesterday and headed back home in the evening during the snow storm. Had white out conditions most of the way out of Denver heading south to the Springs.

Visibility was pretty crappy but made even worse by the headlights getting frozen over. Couldn’t stop to clean them either as there weren’t many safe places to stop. This is ridiculous.

Jeep Wrangler JL LED Headlight Fail - Winter Driving 1605054516751

How was the windshield. Did it ice up also?

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Lived up in Maine and had jeep halogens do the exact same thing on many occasions. Ended up putting halogens on the bull bar and because they were not recessed in the snow trap the headlights were in they did not freeze over as mush. Every now and then though even those would freeze over.
Sponsored