LED Backup Lights?

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I agree. The back up lights are terrible. The back up camera is basically useless without street lights or some other kind of illumination.

I pulled my tail lights out but there about 14 wires in there and I wasn’t going to start splicing them all to figure out which one powers the back up lights. Anyone with some insight? I do like the idea of the tow hitch wiring if someone has some instructions for that as well.

Thanks in advance!
my thought is to get a pair of high/low red LED's, and have the low wire tied to the running lights, and the high wire tied to the backup lights. yeah, they'd be red, but they'd be really bright for backing up.

my work thursday is going to take me from san bernadino to del mar, and that goes right by baja designs factory. i'm gonna see if i can set up an appointment to drop by, and find out what would make a nice build out on a JL. i'm thinking a pair of LP9's on the front bumper, a couple lights up on the side of the top for side illumination, and the red back up lights in back.

i'll report back what looks like a good solution.

now, the problem is, if i get the lights thursday, could i hook them up thursday night? friday morning, i have work near pismo beach, and instead of coming home...... i could go jeeping friday and saturday in pismo..... lights would be nice....

i'll have to make an appointment......
Sponsored

Firecracker Rubi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The Rigid Ignite is still on back-order or something. Hopefully it will ship soon, I only ordered one so I can see how it goes and to check the brightness.

rizzosmith

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
The Rigid Ignite is still on back-order or something. Hopefully it will ship soon, I only ordered one so I can see how it goes and to check the brightness.
I have the opposite problem....

I have a pair of ignite lights, the 3 way switch (off, on, on in reverse only), and all the wiring. But no JL Wrangler to put them in. Are you going to install them in the spot where the reflectors are? I think that's my plan.

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
1,000 lumens. a generic car headlight is 700 or so. so 2,000 lumens for a pair.

i went with this, which is a bunch more money, but 4,900 lumens for a pair.
the carriage bolt on the top corner of the steel bumper is where they will live.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/s2-pro-pair-spot-led.asp

Sponsored

Firecracker Rubi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm going to try to get them in that reflector location. I'm fortunate to have the ability to machine parts so if I can get it to fit in there somehow I can send the model to the machine shop to have them make something nice. I want OEM fit and finish or I'll just skip then

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
While at Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, I found out that Denali Lighting has developed some products for Jeeps. While normally they produce lighting products for the motorcycle community they are starting to produce a small line of products for Jeeps. Of particular interest to me was their flush mount back up lights. I ordered a set when I got home. The lights are six one watt led flush mount strip which only requires three holes per light two holes for mounting (four inches apart) and one hole to run the wiring through.

They are not on their website quite yet, but if you call customer service http://www.twistedthrottle.com

Flush Mount DRL (Back-up Lights) SKU: DNL.DRL.10200.W

Apparently I will have the first set on the street whenever they get here.

MORE TO FOLLOW:

Firecracker Rubi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So far it looks like this idea will work. I removed the Rigid bezel from the light which should be fine if I machine a groove into the reflector replacement and use it as the new bezel. I'll start messing with it this weekend, I may drive up to to the 3D guys and get them to digitize the OEM reflector for me.
IMG_20180604_191437.jpg
IMG_20180604_191908.jpg

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So far it looks like this idea will work. I removed the Rigid bezel from the light which should be fine if I machine a groove into the reflector replacement and use it as the new bezel. I'll start messing with it this weekend, I may drive up to to the 3D guys and get them to digitize the OEM reflector for me.
IMG_20180604_191437.jpg
IMG_20180604_191908.jpg
Looking forward to seeing this write-up. :like:

Wildmank99

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 xj and 18 JL rubicon
Occupation
Military
Saw these today at auto zone and was thinking that you could maybe do the same thing and I think it was $49 for both of them. I’m with everyone else there needs to be something

41076946-7AE8-49CD-991B-F79BB40C48BC.png

Sponsored

rizzosmith

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Looking forward to seeing this write-up. :like:
Me too! I bought those exact Rigid lights and plan on doing the same thing. Even better, my Jeep just showed up at the dealership. So, in about 10 days I will have a vehicle to try this on!

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
IMG_20180604_191437.jpg
IMG_20180604_191908.jpg
I like where this is going !

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_20180604_191437.jpg
IMG_20180604_191908.jpg
@Firecracker Rubi Bump.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I was disappointed in finding out that Diode Dynamics does not have a high lumen output LED backup light replacement bulb. They have a bright LED bulb to replace the OEM incandescent bulb but not to replace the OEM LED bulb.
Are the light sockets different for the OEM incandescents than for the OEM LEDs...or does it have something to do with the circuitry?

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Well, it took way longer than expected to install these two lights. I will have to test them out when it gets dark out.
Had to remove the rear bumper, which is relatively self explanatory, but its really tight in the area I mounted the lights, but I did discover that the reflectors appear to be removable from the inside of the bumper once it has been removed from the vehicle.

IMG_20180730_120700.jpg
Sponsored