Larger radiator for 3.6?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
thats a good data point thanks. Where did you get the data?

in that case a 180 would probably be good to go and may not need a program adjust
Mitchell shop software, which is just imported data from the manufacturers. There’s a screenshot around here somewhere.
Sponsored

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
FYI: The 2.0 & JT "Max Tow" get a higher wattage cooling fan.

I believe I read that Mishimoto is developing a radiator.
I spoke with Mishimoto on 2 separate occasions, the last being 2 weeks back, unfortunately they have no plans for the JL.

I want to give the cold case a try but there is a lot of negative reviews on it. Seems they like to spring a leak within a few months....even with that said I still am temped to give it a try.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I spoke with Mishimoto on 2 separate occasions, the last being 2 weeks back, unfortunately they have no plans for the JL.

I want to give the cold case a try but there is a lot of negative reviews on it. Seems they like to spring a leak within a few months....even with that said I still am temped to give it a try.

I just received the Cold Case and it came well packaged, completely secured in a custom white foam enclosure inside a cardboard box. When I pulled the Cold Case out for inspection, everything looked to be well made with quality welds. I will be using new factory rubber mounting isolators and not reusing the ones on the OEM radiator and of course making sure everything fits properly without binding or forcing. Installation will be late July when I install the Edelbrock Supercharger...

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
I have been working on trying to get control of the temp on the 3.6 JL for the last week
Here is what I found
1. The thermostat starts to open at 190
The fan comes on at 1/4 speed at 221
The fan comes on full speed at 231
Ones the fan comes on in most cases it is sufficient to cool it down to about 215
I would like to have the fan come on at a lower temp and higher speed put have not found a way to do so

I installed a 10in. slim fan on the condenser to try to keep it cooler put air will not pass through the radiator
There are two reasons why air wont flow through the radiator
1. The condenser sets about 2in. away from the radiator leaving a large area for the air to escape instead of about 1/2in. like most cars
To solve this problem I installed sheet metal air dams on 75% around the condenser to stop the air from escaping and force it through the radiator. Put theirs another problem
The factor radiator is very tight or not open enough to allow free flowing air to pass through it. Both with a fan on the condenser or driving down the road . The air hits the radiator core and bounces off
I am still testing put with the air dams I have managed to get about 25% of the condenser mounted fan to pass through the radiator. I would like to get 75%
Also wondering if Mishimoto JL 3.6 radiators are more open to free flowing air and less restrictive
Thanks

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
not necessarily. You have to know what the threshold operating temp/time is for when the code will trigger thinking its stuck open, and if the t stat will ever try to close and not be able to. This is yet another internet promulgated myth that any t stat change throws a CEL, and that isnt always the case. With as hot as these things run and as quickly as they get to temp, it may (i think likely) be fine, but i dont know what that temp threshold is either, so Im guessing same as you.

still, adjusting the setting in the ecu is the least of the worries. No one makes one is the real problem. @Mishimoto is working on one, but my jeep with a blower and little 37’s wasnt blinged out enough for them to want to give me one to test. Hopefully others come to market in a bit.
Code throwing is unlikely as long as you don't go crazy into 160 or 170 temp thermostats.

That said, you are screwing your computers tune, it will always be trying to warm up.

Lastly, worse, your engine will suffer more wear as the cylinders do not reach design temperature, causing more piston/cylinder wear, read friction, read higher heat, opposite of what you want.

If your doing induction, you need the tuner to tell you what thermostat you need really. I would leave it factory thermostat until proven otherwise.

I bought a 2006 GMC duramax off a friend, he had a 170 thermostat when it called for a 180/190 (they have two). Drove fine, never had heat in winter though. I put in stock thermo, and mileage went up 1.5 mpg (big deal going from 14 to 15.5) and now has heat out of heater.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Same here, I am waiting on an Edelbrock Supercharger w/tune and it just shipped...My first thoughts on improving cooling capability was using the radiator from the 392 (would think it would have improved cooling over the radiator used in the 3.6) and still looking into it for fit and performance. The only aftermarket option I found in high performance radiators is from Cold Case, model MOJ996-which looks to be a solid option...Anyone know of other options?
I installed the Cold Case radiator on October 23, 2022. The installation was very straightforward and it all went back together just like using an OEM replacement. This was the weekend before pulling our trailer 600 miles each way to attend the Moab Jeep Jamboree. The radiator did its job and I saw an average of a 10˚ or more reduction in coolant temp. When running the AC and coming to a stop the coolant temp falls quickly to 185˚ or less until it settles at 194˚. I have the 6-speed manual and now have almost 20,000 miles using the Cold Case radiator and recommend it highly.

IMG_2463.jpeg

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
starting the prep work for the blower here soon and want to upgrade the cooling. Want to upgrade to a bigger radiator and lower temp T Stat.

options? Thnx.
Been there done that.

How much boost max?

When I got my puffer installed I found out I could NOT even drive up the on ramp and run with the traffic my pre-det was so bad. By the time summper go there I could barely drive any over 40 mph.

Mitigation:

Some research at FCA led me to a 7-blade fan from 5-blade...I think it was from a truck or something with my same engine. WOW, that helped BUT still not at highway speeds.

More Chrysler research led me to an old model of car that had a Supercharger and it had hood vents. Found a set on E bay and BINGO problem solved.

No need for a colder thermostat.

Take note of where I put the hood vents, forward just aft of the radiator and over the nose of the SC.

NOTE I experimented with vent placement by using wool knitting thread at various places on the hood and seeing how it reacted to speed. What was found was mounted forward, by just behind the radiator and over the hollow between the radiator and engine block and over the nose of the SC.

My temp never changed after that, it dead on and to show how well it performed. I was asked to test a Warn Winch, it was called the Power Plant, it combined a 12k winch and an OBA system, but it was BIG and sat in front of the radiator. Warn told they believed that had designed it to flow enough air fo the Jeep. Well, I lived in Scottsdale AZ, where street temps in Friday rush hour 5 pm traffic hit 130s+. So I drove into downtown Phonix and sat in traffic with the engine idling and AC full on...not a problem, the temp gage never changed and I 2 temp gages one OEM and the other was one I bought for the test.

COST:

7 blade OEM fan about $45 bucks or so

Chrysler OEM Hood vents about $40 bucks

Jeep Wrangler JL Larger radiator for 3.6? 04-10-05_1750

Jeep Wrangler JL Larger radiator for 3.6? 08-31-05_1105_1

30112006194.jpg

speedymart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl
Going to agree that hood vents are the #1 way to keep the jeep cool. My 16 had the factory hard rock hood vents and the engine bay was just cooler. Never even had to replace the filter housing gaskets on it. You should feel the massive amount of heat escaping from my alfa's vent once I turn it off. It's substantial.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I installed the Cold Case radiator on October 23, 2022. The installation was very straightforward and it all went back together just like using an OEM replacement. This was the weekend before pulling our trailer 600 miles each way to attend the Moab Jeep Jamboree. The radiator did its job and I saw an average of a 10˚ or more reduction in coolant temp. When running the AC and coming to a stop the coolant temp falls quickly to 185˚ or less until it settles at 194˚. I have the 6-speed manual and now have almost 20,000 miles using the Cold Case radiator and recommend it highly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Larger radiator for 3.6? 30112006194
Did you leave the OEM 195F thermostat in?

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Did you leave the OEM 195F thermostat in?

still running well with no leaks?

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon

Did you do the 2 row or the extruded version?
Sponsored