Kill Switch Saved Me

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I've been doing some work on my F-350, putting it back together from having it stolen a few years back and trashed. Came home today, and truck was gone from my driveway. Found it a block down the road, steering column bezel and ignition switch destroyed. The well hidden key operated kill switch I installed a while back saved me. My Jeep is in the garage, but will be installing a kill on it very soon.

Just an FYI, if you've been thinking about - do it now.
Sponsored

24fpsecond

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Sting-Gray 4xe
I've been doing some work on my F-350, putting it back together from having it stolen a few years back and trashed. Came home today, and truck was gone from my driveway. Found it a block down the road, steering column bezel and ignition switch destroyed. The well hidden key operated kill switch I installed a while back saved me. My Jeep is in the garage, but will be installing a kill on it very soon.

Just an FYI, if you've been thinking about - do it now.
I’ve been wanting to do this as well.

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Wow, smart, and good advice. What kind of key operated kill switch are you going to install on your Jeep?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
How’d they get a block away with a kill switch installed? They shouldn’t have been able to get out of the driveway.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
What is a key operated kill switch? Like a Ravelco where you need a "key" to turn off the kill switch?

Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Key switch probably kills fuel pump and the little bit if gas in the lines made it that far. Just guessing.

Did you have a tazer or something similar that bypasses the security gateway. Not blaming as i have one too, and kill switch sounds interesting.

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
My coworker installed a throttle controller (not pedal commander) and we were talking about just this tonight. The controller has a lock code on it so that the jeep wont drive if the code is not entered by blocking the signal from the peal.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My coworker installed a throttle controller (not pedal commander) and we were talking about just this tonight. The controller has a lock code on it so that the jeep wont drive if the code is not entered by blocking the signal from the peal.
They just need to unplug it and it is defeated. Same as Tazer Pin Lock.

I installed a kill switch on my push button start. They'll have to work to find out how to defeat that.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Key switch probably kills fuel pump and the little bit if gas in the lines made it that far. Just guessing.
That was my guess, too. Similar to when I turn off the petcock on my motorcycle when I turn into the neighborhood. That leaves just enough fuel in the bowl to get me to my driveway before the engine shuts down a few seconds later.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Has he tried it ??? To my dismay, my Hikeit X9 allows the vehicle to be driven at city speeds. won't accelerate to higway speeds, but it still can get away. And as already mentionned by
@Dyolfknip74 , all they have to do is dive in the footwell, disconnect the controller and reconnect the throttle cable to the gas peddle and it's defeated.

OP
OP
58Willys

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
The kill switch I installed is a simple key cylinder, wired so it interrupts the ignition wire to the starter solenoid. The street slopes downhill somewhat, so they were able push it out the driveway and down the hill.

ClubKenny

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2 Door
How’d they get a block away with a kill switch installed? They shouldn’t have been able to get out of the driveway.
From what I have seen on security camera footage, they get the vehicle in neutral, push it into the road, and use the vehicle that they arrived in (Usually stolen as well) to push the newly stolen vehicle a little ways away before attempting to start it.
Sponsored