First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
From JScan;

"Author, JScan,
Veepeak is perfect, and it works flawlessly with JK and most other cars. OBD Link MX+ is recommended for JL/JT platform.
"
Still doesn't answer the question of what it actually offers that the others don't. Throughput speeds are reported to be better but waiting 5minutes isn't worth $80 IMO.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Still doesn't answer the question of what it actually offers that the others don't. Throughput speeds are reported to be better but waiting 5minutes isn't worth $80 IMO.
If you're that curious maybe you should reach out to Jscan for clarification.

I gladly bought the MX+ knowing its the recommended module by the app developer for my rig.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just says what adapters jscan supports. Not that a $20 one has any less features than a $100 one.
The adapter doesn't matter, as long as JScan supports it. It was more to share which ones not to buy. Grab one of the supported ones and it will work fine. All of the features are in the app.

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
The adapter doesn't matter, as long as JScan supports it. It was more to share which ones not to buy. Grab one of the supported ones and it will work fine. All of the features are in the app.
Understood. I was more trying to see why people are saying the mx+ has more features. I compared what shows in my jscan app to what jscam has for the JL and I see everything.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Understood. I was more trying to see why people are saying the mx+ has more features. I compared what shows in my jscan app to what jscam has for the JL and I see everything.
Yeah, I'm with you. I don't get that. All they are are BT to OBD translators. As long as they have a reasonably up to date bluetooth implementation, the don't really have features. All the smarts are in the Jscan app.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
The only difference between supported OBD2 readers is read speed - delay in gauge display.
Some of the cheep once are slightly slower then expensive brand name.

If you are not looking to datalog, dont waist your money.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I think the main the reason MX one made it to the top of my list is it looks like it’s built solid which I guess is a visual thing for me and its advertised to support lots of other apps besides Jscan and I like data and for me having to much info is not a bad thing as it supports my OCD to over analyze but then I’m the same guy who ripped out the ESS battery and went to a dual Genesis system and my batteries never gave me any problems, I also don’t want to wait on data processing I want it waiting on me to input what I want and want to see results quickly

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Ok guys I know most would not spend the coin but as I get ready to get jscan up and running I am thinking about going the route of a Zautomotive SGW bypass module here https://www.zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/ so I don’t have to deal with plugging in a 12+8 cable and having it tucked under the dash, I think going this route even though its a lot more $$ will present a cleaner install and then with the bypass module plugged in I can just get this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGB4873/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_nAa9FbF48MKFA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 and either leave it plugged in all the time or just plug in when I need to make some changes so would this module work over the cable ?

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ok guys I know most would not spend the coin but as I get ready to get jscan up and running I am thinking about going the route of a Zautomotive SGW bypass module here https://www.zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/ so I don’t have to deal with plugging in a 12+8 cable and having it tucked under the dash, I think going this route even though its a lot more $$ will present a cleaner install and then with the bypass module plugged in I can just get this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGB4873/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_nAa9FbF48MKFA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 and either leave it plugged in all the time or just plug in when I need to make some changes so would this module work over the cable ?
I have the Zauto SGW bypass module and I leave It connected all the time. Then I just plug in my Bluetooth OBD module when I want to use it. I don’t leave my ODB module in at all times.

In other words, I’m doing exactly what you’re thinking of doing and it works fine.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Zauto SGW bypass module and I leave It connected all the time. Then I just plug in my Bluetooth OBD module when I want to use it. I don’t leave my ODB module in at all times.

In other words, I’m doing exactly what you’re thinking of doing and it works fine.
Mike,

What OBDII BT module are you using ?

Sponsored

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm very pro, Tazer JL and am very very familiar with it... Recently though, I have been working with some local guys and one gal that wanted to use JSCAN and were adamant that they would not pay the $ for a Tazer JL or that they could not afford one. ..... anyway, they wanted to buy and share the needed hardware, get multiple JSCAN registration pricing and basically have it all for about $40 a piece.. That got me involved as I was familiar with this stuff lets say. They did me some favors and I helped them out..

Anyway, been dabbling with JSCAN and the needed hardware over the last, say 3 months. Tried different Bluetooth scanners (4 different ones recommended by JSCAN) and returned all thanks to Amazon's for full refund. In the process, I'm pretty up to speed so to speak with JSCAN.

After testing and working with JSCAN and 5 JL's and 1 JT, I can tell you, you are far better off going with the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows .

You do way better with this particular scanner, mainly because it lets say talks to the JL/JT better and faster. Sometimes the other scanners are so slow they glitch or just do not allow you to get a change done, where as the pricier OBDLink MX+ Obd2, does..

No wonder, JSCAN says for JL/JT they recommend specifically with the OBDLink MX+ OBD2. They suggest use of other scanners but you can see at the JSCAN website they mention the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 in regard to the JL/JT.

Sure the $39, scanners will usually get it done, but to me it is well worth the extra $ for this pricier scanner... Sometimes cheap is not the way to go... OBDLink MX+ Obd2 has a better warranty also..

NO, I did not get a free OBDLink MX+ Obd2 and am talking about it for that reason.. Just trying to save those going to use JSCAN some angst. 8-)

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

Is my understanding correct that if I go with the SGW bypass module I don’t need to buy the FCA 12+8 adapter cable?
Sponsored