plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
fist pull out the white center plastic piece. You will have to slide the tabs on each side first and then pull it out from the center of the clip. Once the plastic piece is out, you will see a slot above each wire. Using a small flathead, insert the flathead above the wire in the slot and push. This pressure will release the tab that holds in the wire. You will have to pull the wire from the back while simultaneously pushing the release tab with the flathead from the front. Once released, do the other wire, and swap their location. Inserting them only requires pushing them in as they will snap in place. Replace the white plastic centerpiece and you're good to go.
This is very helpful, but I found instead of pulling the wire out, pushing the blade connector out is much easier.

20190913_194353.jpg

Jruedastinger

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl
I confirmed your findings on the curt 51458 as well and like you said it just needs the black and blue wires swapped. It definitely has a diode in the red wire. So it should work once the wires are swapped
Did you do this install, swap the wires and has it worked out for you. Thanks.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Did you do this install, swap the wires and has it worked out for you. Thanks.
yes and I’ve towed twice with it and everything works perfectly

edit- I emailed curt to let them know and they responded so who knows maybe they’ll correct things.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Wow this thread make it seem like a brake controller is difficult on a JL. I installed one in less than 10 minutes.

Buy this wiring harness. Yea, I know it said its not for the JL, but trust me it is plug and play. We are running this on Two different JLURs and they work great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRWR1YI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then buy this controller. plug into the JL conector, plug into the controller and mount it. Your done. Under ten minutes.
I have over 4,000 miles now towing a camper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M59QRWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and just under 60 dollars.

Pics for the heck of it.
qSigG8cx_tCa58YM0cvPt_QEWuLesplc_kLnp_L5D8AnFk26kaRaRzEfzrZ8S2EOGRdfnnF_vllu8nM7n8=w1010-h757-no.jpg

gTNCxxqaPrq4IDjYuvw1R_6r6FNCDLMLu8n3NZGC9Y_cvdXruFj4rspgjVocH5Ux3eQEs9A58L_lJmqQ3w=w1010-h757-no.jpg

Auburnsemper

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
THANKS!! Now if we could only figure out how to properly wire a controller for those of us without the factory town option.
Thanks this is great clarification of my current issue. My problem is though that I don’t have the factory tow package so Adapter plug under the dashboard. So I’m trying to figure out, now that I have the errors, which Diode I should purchase and where should I purchase it? Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated pointing me in the right direction. Thank you, Jeff

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Thank you JLURmojito and everyone who contributed to this thread! Your instructions were incredibly helpful, especially for knowing which brake wire to tap. It was a very uncomfortable job getting the brake installer plug installed, with my back being extremely bruised from trying to be upside down underneath there while resting on the seat bracket.

I used Curt 51500 electric trailer brake Controller wiring kit and Curt 51515 quick plug universal electric trailer brake controller wiring harness to get the plug setup. I wish I had know that I would need to run another set of wire to the battery, I would have done it at the same time as the mopar wiring harness.

I then installed CURT 51170 Spectrum Original Equipment Style Electric Trailer Brake Controller for the actual controller. I am very happy with how it turned out.

48919485301_e105b02850_b.jpg

48919485001_45e1fa157e_b.jpg

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
I went with that same brake controller however I had the integrated harness. Just had to flop a couple wires on their adaptor harness. Really liking the controller

Rubiron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited / Audi RS5
Occupation
Retired
I am curious what your thoughts are on the Curt wireless brake controller (https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Cont...OxYJ4WNFvE7ypCDOzDSVY32DWXhLYJrxoCAckQAvD_BwE).
Hello, I have and use the Curt Echo wireless brake controller, and I love it. Easy set up and works like a charm....my only concern is because it’s portable, me forgetting to disconnect it and having some low life walk off with it. It is password protected, they’d have a hard chance on using it but that has been my only concern. If it looses connection it continues to work on the last known program.

hope this helps those that may be in the fence.

Sponsored

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Hello, I have and use the Curt Echo wireless brake controller, and I love it. Easy set up and works like a charm....my only concern is because it’s portable, me forgetting to disconnect it and having some low life walk off with it. It is password protected, they’d have a hard chance on using it but that has been my only concern. If it looses connection it continues to work on the last known program.

hope this helps those that may be in the fence.
Same experience for me. It was less expensive than wiring in a controller that’s in your way in an already crowded space. Most negative reviews on Amazon are from those who don’t understand how to connect to Bluetooth. Mine had worked flawlessly for the last year.

Rubiron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited / Audi RS5
Occupation
Retired
Same experience for me. It was less expensive than wiring in a controller that’s in your way in an already crowded space. Most negative reviews on Amazon are from those who don’t understand how to connect to Bluetooth. Mine had worked flawlessly for the last year.
Totally agree, I just wish there was a way to lock it to the vehicle.....the average person probably won’t even notice it....

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I installed the Redarc unit in my JT, but the steps should be identical for JL I'm assuming.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Wow this thread make it seem like a brake controller is difficult on a JL. I installed one in less than 10 minutes.

Buy this wiring harness. Yea, I know it said its not for the JL, but trust me it is plug and play. We are running this on Two different JLURs and they work great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRWR1YI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then buy this controller. plug into the JL conector, plug into the controller and mount it. Your done. Under ten minutes.
I have over 4,000 miles now towing a camper.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M59QRWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and just under 60 dollars.

Pics for the heck of it.
qSigG8cx_tCa58YM0cvPt_QEWuLesplc_kLnp_L5D8AnFk26kaRaRzEfzrZ8S2EOGRdfnnF_vllu8nM7n8=w1010-h757-no.jpg

gTNCxxqaPrq4IDjYuvw1R_6r6FNCDLMLu8n3NZGC9Y_cvdXruFj4rspgjVocH5Ux3eQEs9A58L_lJmqQ3w=w1010-h757-no.jpg
I will confirm this. Plug and play harness.

Thanks for sharing!