Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
My question would be, does a steering stabilizer help it drive better, windy or not? Took a 2 hour trip south and it was a chore to drive for sure w/ the wind. Looking at the Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Fast Adjust Steering Stabilizer.
Yes absolutely...high setting on nexus
Sponsored

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Stock 2015 JKU Sahara to a stock 2018 JLU Sahara - yes, it is worse in the wind and worse in general at speeds above 60 MPH then my JKU was. You will be attacked for saying it. Maybe it is just some of them. All I know is what my experience is and that is the case. When I 1st got it lowering PSI to what door said helped, flash of PCM or whatever they did helped, new steering stabilizer after I started getting shimmy with road perfection helped. But in the end it is worse in the wind and worse in general at speeds above 60 MPH then my JKU was.

I love my 2018 JLU in every aspect except I wish I had my 2015 JKU Sahara Steering and Handling back but I will keep the heated steering wheel :)

xtraham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Aprez27 is not crazy. I have a JL, and previously a JK. The JL get's knocked around much more by the wind. Why? I have no clue. But it dances much harder in the wind for sure.

AbeWay

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Anybody notice that the JL's seem to be affected more by the wind? I definitely feel mine blows around a lot more that my old JKU used to. Is the JL a lot lighter than the JK's used to be?
Can legitimately say I feel the wind more in my Jeep than in my semi. First I thought it was misfiring until I finally got out to stretch and felt the wind .

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JLR and a JKUS and neither really experience wind problems. I'm in the middle of a 4,000 mile trip and drove through Wyoming, Montana, Utah and Idaho with some high winds (40 to 50) and all was fine.

Sponsored

Benny

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Ocean Blue, 2012 Dodge Challenger
I have had a YJ, 2- TJ's, and now a JL. They all get pushed around in wind gusts; it's a box on wheels. It's just part of the Jeep experience; if it was perfect you would be bored.

Mgirmonde

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB
I have had other Wranglers and none of them were as bad as this JL. I feel like I am fighting to keep it straight on the road. It is not just being hit by the wind, it actually moves me all over the road. I really think it is the lousy steering. I've never owned a vehicle that had such sloppy steering. Nothing fun about driving on windy days. I keep reading about all these "mods" to fix it but none are a 100% fix. Those of you that say it is just "a Jeep" aren't having the same experience some of us are. It is actually very hard to control the Jeep on a really windy day. Sloppy on a calm day but very bad on a windy one.

Wish someone would tell me how to fix it!

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
I agree. It is probably the steering response that makes it feel like wind moves it around more than the JK. As we all know, some JLs have tight steering and some wander, so some feel it is great in the wind,some not. Of course, wranglers are shaped like a brick so they do get affected more by crosswinds

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
And I don't think JL is much lighter than JK. My 2 Dr Rubicon has a GVWR of 5250 lb and total load rating(all occupants plus cargo) of 700 lbs. If I interpret these right, the curb weight is 4550 lbs or so. That is heavy for a 2 Door vehicle, in the range of some midsize trucks.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Aprez27 is not crazy. I have a JL, and previously a JK. The JL get's knocked around much more by the wind. Why? I have no clue. But it dances much harder in the wind for sure.
It 100% does get knocked around, even in light-moderate wind. The "aerodynamic improvements" Jeep makes claims on are there in the sense of improved fuel economy however strong frontal or crosswinds is like an onslaught. I'm in a stock JLUR am by no means complaining...I've just come to terms with it lol.

For the design and what the Wrangler stands for, it's the nature of the beast.

Sponsored

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have had other Wranglers and none of them were as bad as this JL. I feel like I am fighting to keep it straight on the road. It is not just being hit by the wind, it actually moves me all over the road. I really think it is the lousy steering. I've never owned a vehicle that had such sloppy steering. Nothing fun about driving on windy days. I keep reading about all these "mods" to fix it but none are a 100% fix. Those of you that say it is just "a Jeep" aren't having the same experience some of us are. It is actually very hard to control the Jeep on a really windy day. Sloppy on a calm day but very bad on a windy one.

Sell or trade your JL and your problem is solved. That's the sure fix.

Mgirmonde

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB

Read several post about a PCM flash fixing the wandering. After trying everything and anything and a lot of arguing I got the dealership to flash the PCM today. It's not an update. It reinstalls the software. And it worked. Now it handles like a Jeep is supposed to. Unbelievable difference!