Windshield noise (Wind and Rain)

Sarsippius

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon, 2018 JL Sport S
Picked up a new Sport S JL for my son. I noticed more wind noise than my Rubicon JK. I have read all of the posts in another thread about this and see where there may be an alignment issue. My real question is about the rain noise. It is VERY loud and sounds like a popping or static sound that is amplified. I mean crazy loud. Tonight he and I were adding some add on parts and I looked at the windshield. If you tap the top of the windshield frame with your fingernail and listen inside it sounds the same as the rain noise I am talking about.

I wanted to see if others are having this problem and, if so, what the solution is. I feel like it may be the two piece design for the fold down option. If there is supposed to be some molding that puts pressure on the window frame that would also dampen the sound, and ours is not touching the frame it could leave a gap so the sound resonates off the thin metal when rain hits it. Just a guess as to what may be going on here. I feel like others may have heard the same thing and already figured out the solution. Or we have an isolated incident that needs to be resolved by the dealership (don't really want to go that route due to past problems with service being clueless at times).

Other than that, we love the new design and the ride. Any ideas or solutions?
Sponsored

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I don't have mine yet so I cannot comment - but the Rubicon does have a noise dampening windshield. I think it may have been included with the Alpine system - but I am not entirely sure.

I don't think it is in all JL's. But it might make a difference.

Kevo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
I've noticed a crackling noise every time it rains. I have been wondering if it's from rain going into the hood vents by the windshield wipers. It's annoying.

JLBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory order JL once I finalize the configuration..
You guys are all seriously making me think hard about walking back my plans of buying a Jeep.

Sloxkhart98

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangjer JL Rubicon
Picked up a new Sport S JL for my son. I noticed more wind noise than my Rubicon JK. I have read all of the posts in another thread about this and see where there may be an alignment issue. My real question is about the rain noise. It is VERY loud and sounds like a popping or static sound that is amplified. I mean crazy loud. Tonight he and I were adding some add on parts and I looked at the windshield. If you tap the top of the windshield frame with your fingernail and listen inside it sounds the same as the rain noise I am talking about.

I wanted to see if others are having this problem and, if so, what the solution is. I feel like it may be the two piece design for the fold down option. If there is supposed to be some molding that puts pressure on the window frame that would also dampen the sound, and ours is not touching the frame it could leave a gap so the sound resonates off the thin metal when rain hits it. Just a guess as to what may be going on here. I feel like others may have heard the same thing and already figured out the solution. Or we have an isolated incident that needs to be resolved by the dealership (don't really want to go that route due to past problems with service being clueless at times).

Other than that, we love the new design and the ride. Any ideas or solutions?
Can you take a video and post it here so we can see/hear it?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sarsippius

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you take a video and post it here so we can see/hear it?
I’m not in it much (it is my son’s) but I will try to het him to record it. I was sitting in it the other day in a soft rain and did not notice the popping sound but just loud rooftop sound. Either it is only while driving or heavier rain. Supposed to have some bad weather the next few days. Will try to get out in it then and record the sounds. I really think this is isolated to just a few vehicles. That would be great since it would mean it is not a problem for everyone and it can be fixed.

OP
OP

Sarsippius

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drove my Sahara in the rain last night and didn't notice any out of the ordinary.
That actually gives me hope that this is isolated to our vehicle and can be fixed. It is just very hard to determine where the sound is actually coming from. Once we figure it out we will find a solution.

OP
OP

Sarsippius

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You guys are all seriously making me think hard about walking back my plans of buying a Jeep.
Please dont think that way. This Jeep is miles apart from my 2014 JKUR. The fit and finish in it is so much better. If it is actually louder than the older models, so what, it is a Wrangler after all. Yes it is 50k but your paying for capability not soundproofing. Also we have come to expect luxury in a vehicle that was never intended to be luxurious. If you are a Jeep person you will not be disappointed in the JL. I have a JLUR on order and cant wait for it to get here. Dont walk back your decision. Run forward to it!!!!! Most fun vehicle you will ever own.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
Mine has less wind noise than my Rubi JK.

You can hear rain drops hit them both.

It’s still a freaking jeep.

Sponsored

Fib3r0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
what if you took a hose and had someone spray it while your in it? Aim the water high in the air and have it fall in different spots. good luck.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Its a jeep, with the aerodynamics of a brick.

That said, a lot of the exterior sheet metal on the JL is aluminum, which sounds very different than steel in rain. It sounds more like crackling.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
The sound deadening windshield does make a difference. My Mustang has it and it is quieter than my friend's that doesn't have it.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
It will be my first jeep, but considering the way it’s built, I kinda am expecting this rain noise...
Sponsored