Jeep ignoring steering issues

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Mine and the wife steering is loose I have to take it to the Dealer to see what they say.

Here is a video I did from the other day on the highway doing 70. If i would of did this in my stock 2016 JKU i would of been in the ditch.

Curious as to what the dealer said if you’ve been able to take it in.

Took my Jeep out today on the highway after not driving it for a week. I tried the same thing as in the video and was able to recreate it, but my Jeep did react ever so slightly to the left and the right...not enough to have a cop think I’m DUI, but enough to move the Jeep.

So instead what I did was to see how much I could move the steering wheel before I felt any sort of resistance which to me meant the wheels were getting input. In this case I was only able to move the steering wheel 1/4-1/2 inch in either direction giving me a range of 1/2-1” of play/dead zone.

My question to you would be can you do the same thing and report back the same. I can see you can move the wheel 2” in each direction, but that doesn’t mean the wheels aren’t reacting, they just tend to not react as quick or sharp enough as say an SUV would.

Thx
Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Here’s a link to me driving my Jeep and moving the wheel back and forth. At the 30 sec mark is when I start to move it back and forth deliberately.

Dgalleon

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I dropped my JL at the dealer this morning for this issue, the just called me and said that they definitely see that there is an issue and isn’t normal but said that since I have a non Mopar 2 inch spacer lift that they won’t touch my steering setup... smh

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I dropped my JL at the dealer this morning for this issue, the just called me and said that they definitely see that there is an issue and isn’t normal but said that since I have a non Mopar 2 inch spacer lift that they won’t touch my steering setup... smh
Who is that, Airport CDJ?

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a link to me driving my Jeep and moving the wheel back and forth. At the 30 sec mark is when I start to move it back and forth deliberately.

I'd say this is "normal" movement for me in my Jeep (prior to 30 sec mark). I drove over a lot of bumpy back roads down richmond and westheimer today and my wheel was moving a lot bc of the bumps. I had to adjust quite a bit, but I feel this is normal, as any vehicle's steering would have movement over bumps. But ye...I'd say the movement of your steering wheel prior to the 30secs on the vid, is identical to mine on a straight away.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Oh snap... so what else did they say? Did they offer any other adjustments or are they now acting like your warranty is voided and you have to pay out of pocket for any additional work?

Dgalleon

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Oh snap... so what else did they say? Did they offer any other adjustments or are they now acting like your warranty is voided and you have to pay out of pocket for any additional work?
They said that what they “CAN” do is sell me a Dual steering Stablizer and “help out” with the labor costs. Said that “should” alleviate the issue

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
They said that what they “CAN” do is sell me a Dual steering Stablizer and “help out” with the labor costs. Said that “should” alleviate the issue
hmm...okay. So basically they sayin...you voided your warranty? Because if they didn't think you did, you shouldn't have to pay any costs...

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I'd say this is "normal" movement for me in my Jeep (prior to 30 sec mark). I drove over a lot of bumpy back roads down richmond and westheimer today and my wheel was moving a lot bc of the bumps. I had to adjust quite a bit, but I feel this is normal, as any vehicle's steering would have movement over bumps. But ye...I'd say the movement of your steering wheel prior to the 30secs on the vid, is identical to mine on a straight away.
Here are two more vids showing normal driving. One with my son who is new to driving and one with me. We are both driving the same road, so you can tell that my son is moving the wheel a bit more to keep the Jeep centered in the lane. I let the Jeep drift a bit more before correcting and I move the wheel a lot less to correct. When I say drift I mean drift in the sense of the larger wheels causing the drift and not any dead zone in the steering.

Video with driver having both hands on the wheel is my son.

And the road is not perfectly straight. It consists of some straight sections along with sweeping right and left curves. There are bumps as well. Speed was about 45mph at its highest.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Here are two more vids showing normal driving. One with my son who is new to driving and one with me. We are both driving the same road, so you can tell that my son is moving the wheel a bit more to keep the Jeep centered in the lane. I let the Jeep drift a bit more before correcting and I move the wheel a lot less to correct. When I say drift I mean drift in the sense of the larger wheels causing the drift and not any dead zone in the steering.

Video with driver having both hands on the wheel is my son.

Wow, okay naww I don't have to move mine like that (your son's vid). Thanks for the clarification.
Sponsored