First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Well there is a lot of controversy about th Jeep JL steering. Sorry for repeating myself, I’m 55 and have been a Jeep owner since I had my farm permit to drive. I’ve had lots of other rides throughout the years but always a Jeep in my collection of misfits. Stock, big block, blown small block, mud bigger (New Egypt) every version of Wrangler made from 1975 and even a few XJ`S, Scramblers, and Grand Cherokee’s currently wife’s ride. My small block CJ-7 with 40” Super swampers could hold a straight line, but you had to drive it not just get in and go.
My last was a JK, AEV 3.5 Lift, 35 BFG`S, 3:73 gears and a Ripp Supercharger, all work done by myself. Drove straight as a arrow no matter what tire pressure.After wrenching on these for so long you get to know their inherited issues, and thankfully because of the net you can pretty much get a instantaneous answer to them
No vehicle is perfect, I had BMW buy back my M3. But at a certain point the manufacturers have to close their mouths and open their ears. Sorry it’s not a JEEP thing to have white knuckle steering issues, yes it’s a Jeep and not a car but am I supposed to accept that as a answer for the steering issues?
So if I buy a JL Sport for $30k should it drive any different then my over $50k Rubicon ? Slightly with subtle differences due to configuration, tires, etc. but not to the point it’s scary. Safety is Safety no matter how much you spend.
My Rubicon is all over the road to the point of taking off the new 35” General X3`s and replacing them with BFG KM3`S, the ride was better but still wandering all over the road.
Due to some serious health issues my schedule revolves around doctors, surgeries and various other treatments, that being said my Rubicon has only 1400 highway miles on it so no steering damage done from hammering it off road. The one thing I do have is time, so I read up on all the possible reasons from most of the forums, and I have decided to investigate on my own, granted I can’t flash the computer but I figured I would check to make sure ALL of the steering components were torqued to spec. I started and ended in the same spot, the drivers side lower ball joint. I was in the process of removing the cotterpin from the castle nut when I noticed that the castle nut was moving freely as I removed the cotterpin. Not only was the nut finger tight but the castle nut was not even making contact, I was able to slide a .010 feeler gauge between them.
So will adjustment in tire pressure correct my steering issues? Will the TSB 08-092-18 correct the issue? Maybe adjusting the steering box will do it? Maybe a new steering box?
Maybe Jeep should address this a a real safety issue instead of leaving it up to the owners to try to correct the issue, sometimes being left up to the owner due to dealer lack of knowledge or just being plain frustrated from getting the run around. It’s a shame that many Jeep owners will travel out of their community just to get to a dealer who knows what they are doing. (Myself) I hope that it does not take one bad apple (accident) to spoil the whole bunch.
Yes I did check the other 3 ball joints without removing the cotterpins, total of 3 that are loose and yes the do have the blue paint dab on them. Dana`s issue since they deliver the axle assemblies completely assembled ? Or a Jeep issue or lack of QC?
I went no further with the inspection of my Jeep, it’s not my job, it’s Jeeps job to get it right.
I spoke with Jeep cares and created a incident report, they will be calling the dealer the day before I drop it off and also the dealer is supposed to contact them when they find / correct the issue. Sorry for the long rant but there is just to much bs floating around and Jeep needs to take ownership of the problems and be responsible
http://thechive.com/2018/09/11/pilot-youre-clear-for-anxiety-attack-video/ similar issues keeping her straight,just for laughs!
Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I hope Jeep gets you fixed; you don’t need this hassle. Keep us posted.

My first Jeep was a beat up 1965 Cherokee Chief. Waited till now to get another Jeep.

The new design seems to have multiple factors messing up the steering in one way or another: dead spots, wandering, or frozen steering. Poor manufacturing processes are obviously the main problem since lots of JLs steer ok. improper torque on ball joints, steering box not built within design specs requiring replacement to fix or adjustment to compensate, excessive tire pressures, and on and on. And of course the wrong TSB at least until May. It sure seems that poor quality control could have led to the vast majority of steering issues.

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
Well there is a lot of controversy about th Jeep JL steering. Sorry for repeating myself, I’m 55 and have been a Jeep owner since I had my farm permit to drive. I’ve had lots of other rides throughout the years but always a Jeep in my collection of misfits. Stock, big block, blown small block, mud bigger (New Egypt) every version of Wrangler made from 1975 and even a few XJ`S, Scramblers, and Grand Cherokee’s currently wife’s ride. My small block CJ-7 with 40” Super swampers could hold a straight line, but you had to drive it not just get in and go.
My last was a JK, AEV 3.5 Lift, 35 BFG`S, 3:73 gears and a Ripp Supercharger, all work done by myself. Drove straight as a arrow no matter what tire pressure.After wrenching on these for so long you get to know their inherited issues, and thankfully because of the net you can pretty much get a instantaneous answer to them
No vehicle is perfect, I had BMW buy back my M3. But at a certain point the manufacturers have to close their mouths and open their ears. Sorry it’s not a JEEP thing to have white knuckle steering issues, yes it’s a Jeep and not a car but am I supposed to accept that as a answer for the steering issues?
So if I buy a JL Sport for $30k should it drive any different then my over $50k Rubicon ? Slightly with subtle differences due to configuration, tires, etc. but not to the point it’s scary. Safety is Safety no matter how much you spend.
My Rubicon is all over the road to the point of taking off the new 35” General X3`s and replacing them with BFG KM3`S, the ride was better but still wandering all over the road.
Due to some serious health issues my schedule revolves around doctors, surgeries and various other treatments, that being said my Rubicon has only 1400 highway miles on it so no steering damage done from hammering it off road. The one thing I do have is time, so I read up on all the possible reasons from most of the forums, and I have decided to investigate on my own, granted I can’t flash the computer but I figured I would check to make sure ALL of the steering components were torqued to spec. I started and ended in the same spot, the drivers side lower ball joint. I was in the process of removing the cotterpin from the castle nut when I noticed that the castle nut was moving freely as I removed the cotterpin. Not only was the nut finger tight but the castle nut was not even making contact, I was able to slide a .010 feeler gauge between them.
I agree with you 100% I'm about 70 now and a mechanic by trade but I do not want to turn a wrench on this Jeep, I want to go, Play and have a couple beers!!
So will adjustment in tire pressure correct my steering issues? Will the TSB 08-092-18 correct the issue? Maybe adjusting the steering box will do it? Maybe a new steering box?
Maybe Jeep should address this a a real safety issue instead of leaving it up to the owners to try to correct the issue, sometimes being left up to the owner due to dealer lack of knowledge or just being plain frustrated from getting the run around. It’s a shame that many Jeep owners will travel out of their community just to get to a dealer who knows what they are doing. (Myself) I hope that it does not take one bad apple (accident) to spoil the whole bunch.
Yes I did check the other 3 ball joints without removing the cotterpins, total of 3 that are loose and yes the do have the blue paint dab on them. Dana`s issue since they deliver the axle assemblies completely assembled ? Or a Jeep issue or lack of QC?
I went no further with the inspection of my Jeep, it’s not my job, it’s Jeeps job to get it right.
I spoke with Jeep cares and created a incident report, they will be calling the dealer the day before I drop it off and also the dealer is supposed to contact them when they find / correct the issue. Sorry for the long rant but there is just to much bs floating around and Jeep needs to take ownership of the problems and be responsible
http://thechive.com/2018/09/11/pilot-youre-clear-for-anxiety-attack-video/ similar issues keeping her straight,just for laughs!

Schipperke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback ; Ford F150
OP, nothing to worry about..

Posted 9/15/18 NHTSA

AS I WAS DRIVING ON THE INTERSTATE IN MIAMI FLORIDA MY STEERING WHEEL TURNED TO THE RIGHT BUT MY VEHICLE KEPT GOING STRAIGHT AND I HEARD A LOUD CLUNK FROM THE FRONT LEFT OF THE VEHICLE. I WAS ABLE GUIDE THE VEHICLE OFF OF THE INTERSTATE WITH GREAT DIFFICULTY AND TOOK IT TO THE CLOSEST DEALERSHIP. THERE I WAS ABLE TO TAKE A PICTURE OF WHAT LOOKS LIKE A FAILED WELD ON WHAT YOU COULD CALL A TRACK BAR OR STEERING BRACKET.
Humans no longer do the welding, robots do. If there is anything robots excel at, it is precise repetition.. (good or bad)

Last edited:

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Rubicon loose steering.
This is directly from the Edmunds website,

Cons

• Mild towing capability for an otherwise highly capable rig
  • Less cargo space than some conventional crossovers
  • Poor ride comfort and handling abilities
  • Steering is slow and feels loose, especially on the Rubicon trim

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I respectfully disagree. Tire pressure will not cure a wandering all over the road problem. In my decades of experience, I actually find it to be funny when somebody says they dropped their tire pressure and it cured their steering.
I feel you on this statement...but mine did wander and after dropping the psi, it no longer wanders.

I didn't have any programming done to my pcm or any of the other fixes being mentioned on this forum. However, I believe that my steering issue actually wasn't a legit steering issue. The air pressure affected the way my Jeep handled on the road. But this isn't uncommon. Take any vehicle and drastically deflate the tires or over inflate them, and that vehicle will not behave appropriately while driving. I think this is what the other poster was trying to explain.

This is not directed at you, but I did want to bring this out in reply to your post. And yes, this is a mini rant, so please forgive me if I get "saucy": I've noticed that a lot of posters that have real steering problems, will oftentimes try to diminish other posters' fixes of their "steering issues"; like they are lying about it lol. I don't know of any one that would purposely get on the forums and lie about whether or not their steering issue was fixed by a certain thing, if it actually wasn't?

Also, if I say that lowering my tire pressure has cured the "wandering" that I experienced, then how can anyone tell me that I'm incorrect? I'm the one driving my Jeep everyday...I have the experience with my Jeep, no one else does. Also, I'm not diminishing other people's real steering issues by saying the issue I experienced was fixed by lowering my tire pressure lol. IDK I'm surprised at the things I read on this forum...just because someone fixed their issue with a way that doesn't "seem" logical, doesn't mean the issue wasn't corrected in the way that was stated.

Also, no one is saying one fix, will "fix" all. There needs to be a distinction made on the forums about these issues that I think people are overlooking... Rant over. :facepalm:

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
If it were 55 percent I definitely would cancel.
Lol. I am just curious but the numbers will not be made public.
I am not green to manufacturing issues. Surely their team is doing an assessment. It’s just frustrating to read these issues and think that one day I’ll turn on the news and there will be a story about someone killed because steering defects.
Totally understand you on this. I will say that I have had no issues with my Jeep except for the ones that I "caused" with a mod (installed a Rubicon bumper w/rubicon LED fog lights and they were flickering) that the dealer fixed for me.

Other than that I've ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE, EVERY SECOND of my Jeep. I understand you are analyzing and trying to figure out if this purchase is for you. But TBH, I feel like you can't even be excited about getting it because of all of the concerns you have and all of the negative "what ifs" that may occur with it.

I don't feel that you are overreacting in the least. I understand your rationale. But I will tell you this...when I bought mine, I already knew of a friend that had a JK whose engine needed to be replaced (after 4 yrs of ownership), she had a fuel line leak and a whole bunch of other stuff wrong with it; and that was the JK. I knew what the possibilities were and I still wanted my Wrangler. Having it is very nostalgic for me and the CJ7 that my dad had when we were kids, was a huge part of my enjoyment as a child. I always wanted one, and I made the decision to get it. Even with everything I read now, I empathize with those going through it. However, it doesn't make me love my Jeep less and doesn't make me question my decision about my purchase; or make me feel anxiety about when the bottom will fall out. For added peace of mind, I purchased a extended lifetime warranty/unlimited miles. If anything goes wrong with it, FCA will be required to fix it.

Idk if my experience will help you relax a bit on the worrying. It may not; but I want you to know there are A LOT of us that own Jeeps that have little to NO problems. I can't quantify it, and you won't be able to either. So at this point, you gotta decide: do you make the purchase and be happy with that decision (knowing about the negative possibilities) or do you have your Jeep and be under constant worry and anxiety that it might wander off the road or blow up.

Only you can answer that and no amount of tallying of numbers can help you with that decision. *hugs*

TJ01

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler JLUR
I have a different issue. Seems small but drives me crazy. It really only happens on cold mornings or days. I’ll be driving down the interstate, then when a long curve to the left comes up, and i start to steer to the left it’s like the steering gets stuck then will finally break free and go. Doesn’t do it going right. Makes me feel like I’m hitting a slippery spot in the road and slide for a quick second, but i dont. Anyone have any idea? Is my steering stablizer shock freezing or maybe a boot? Really have no clue.

Sponsored

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
I have a different issue. Seems small but drives me crazy. It really only happens on cold mornings or days. I’ll be driving down the interstate, then when a long curve to the left comes up, and i start to steer to the left it’s like the steering gets stuck then will finally break free and go. Doesn’t do it going right. Makes me feel like I’m hitting a slippery spot in the road and slide for a quick second, but i dont. Anyone have any idea? Is my steering stablizer shock freezing or maybe a boot? Really have no clue.
There have been reports of temperature related steering problems in other threads, seems related to the aluminum steering box.

nh4x4jeep

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Go to NHTSA
https://tinyurl.com/jeepsteering
Scroll Down

419 out of 557 issues are for STEERING.
I'd say there's a legit Issue.
It's not your imagination. It's NOT a "Jeep Thing" to get used to!

If you are having ANY issues, have your dealer check it out! It's better to be safe than sorry!
Sponsored