Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My appointment is coming up in early August and will see what they say, I have contacted @JeepCares and they are supposed to assign a case to me, I have about 3”-4” play in the wheel as in 2” approx in each direction and unless I hold the wheel canted to the left it drifts to the right while going in a straight line at highway speeds and to me this is a huge safety concern, the wheel does not pull to the right it just drifts unless I hold the wheel to the left, I still have some small issues that have been discussed in other posts and I can tolerate those as they are just a nuisance but the steering has to be addressed.
Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My appointment is coming up in early August and will see what they say, I have contacted @JeepCares and they are supposed to assign a case to me, I have about 3”-4” play in the wheel as in 2” approx in each direction and unless I hold the wheel canted to the left it drifts to the right while going in a straight line at highway speeds and to me this is a huge safety concern, the wheel does not pull to the right it just drifts unless I hold the wheel to the left, I still have some small issues that have been discussed in other posts and I can tolerate those as they are just a nuisance but the steering has to be addressed.
Agreed! Let us know...i dont think mine is as serious as yours but imma keep a close watch on it

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm...yeee mine doesn't go straight like that unless i'm driving 60+. I'll have to try it tomorrow when Im out and purposely remove my hand from the wheel at different speeds. I just wish there was something CONCRETE about the steering...what is normal and what is not, coming from FCA. Inquiring minds wanna know! :movember:
Okay I did A LOT of driving today. I took my hands off the wheel and Lil' Hulk did not drift...it didnt veer! I couldn't believe it. Only when i rested my left hand on it, did it seem "loose". Lol! I think my steering issue isnt an issue at all. It rode smooth and straight at around 70mph w/hands off. :)

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The OP needs to give it time. These JLs seem to get better after the steering box wears in for a few thousand miles. Also, while you're racking up miles allowing it to wear in, have your dealership update your PCM software to the latest revision. That way you'll have the newest software for the electric motor control on the steering box.

I was amazed at how much better mine got after these two items. Before this, mine was literally exhausting to drive on the highway.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
....Also, while you're racking up miles allowing it to wear in, have your dealership update your PCM software to the latest revision. That way you'll have the newest software for the electric motor control on the steering box.

I was amazed at how much better mine got after these two items. Before this, mine was literally exhausting to drive on the highway.
Yesss! Thanks for the software update advice! I'll definitely inquire about it if the steering returns to how it initially was. You are definitely right, mine was exhausting to drive when i picked it up from the lot, and i was in stop and go traffic and felt like i had to fight to keep it straight. It's definitely not doing that now. I have to make slight adjustments but very slight. The maneuverability on this thing is amazing. That TIGHT TURNING RADIUS tho!!! :involve:

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
The OP needs to give it time. These JLs seem to get better after the steering box wears in for a few thousand miles. Also, while you're racking up miles allowing it to wear in, have your dealership update your PCM software to the latest revision. That way you'll have the newest software for the electric motor control on the steering box.

This is a shitty steering setup from the factory and it won't - and hasn't - got better with mileage.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
This is a shitty steering setup from the factory and it won't - and hasn't - got better with mileage.
Have you tried getting your PCM software updated as suggested? Might be a good idea.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

I have 3500 miles on my Sahara and the wheel is not centered and if I center it going straight down the road it drifts right and does it every time on every straight road, the loose or what I call sloppy steering I can deal with as it’s bad but not terrible but the drifting has to be fixed, I am thinking it may fall into the intermediate steering shaft recall even though it’s not listed as it seemed to be fine when I first got it but now drifts so I am thinking it’s indexing wrong and this is a serious issue in my opinion.

@JeepCares can you please make the dealer aware that when I bring my Jeep in the first week of August that they look at this intermediate shaft and replace if necessary and if it’s welded correctly it needs to be adjusted along with the steering box to get rid of the slop.

I really like the Wrangler but so far I am having a 2 for 2 with FCA products and there will not be a third time as if it can’t be addressed I will look to another maker but I am hoping they correct it

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Have you tried getting your PCM software updated as suggested? Might be a good idea.
There is no update, TSB, or recall for my vehicle or for the many others with the same problem. There is almost a 50 page thread about this issue. This isn't a tire pressure issue, telescoping wheel, break-in period, ect. This is a shitty design by Jeep and the ONLY fix we'll get is by putting pressure on Jeep to fix it, PERIOD.

cableline01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Mine and the wife steering is loose I have to take it to the Dealer to see what they say.

Here is a video I did from the other day on the highway doing 70. If i would of did this in my stock 2016 JKU i would of been in the ditch.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
There is no update, TSB, or recall for my vehicle or for the many others with the same problem. There is almost a 50 page thread about this issue. This isn't a tire pressure issue, telescoping wheel, break-in period, ect. This is a shitty design by Jeep and the ONLY fix we'll get is by putting pressure on Jeep to fix it, PERIOD.
Alrighty, hope it gets resolved for you.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Mine and the wife steering is loose I have to take it to the Dealer to see what they say.

Here is a video I did from the other day on the highway doing 70. If i would of did this in my stock 2016 JKU i would of been in the ditch.

Yeee...that's freakin scary. I wouldn't even drive it if mine was doing that...please be safe, but i would have that suckah towed to the dealership. There's no way they can say that is normal.

ledzeppelin1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited V6
Is there a way we can quantify this? Saying it seems sloppy may be true but is subjective. If we can report it that our steering has say for example 5-10 degrees more play than a comparison brand, I wonder if that concrete number would hold FCA/JeepCares more accountable for this issue?

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a way we can quantify this? Saying it seems sloppy may be true but is subjective. If we can report it that our steering has say for example 5-10 degrees more play than a comparison brand, I wonder if that concrete number would hold FCA/JeepCares more accountable for this issue?
I think this may be a bit more beneficial...they probably want to see some raw data before "justifying" a recall. Maybe a survery would be helpful?

If you had to create a survey, what questions would you insert?
Sponsored