First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
... If you had to create a survey, what questions would you insert?
Jumping in with my 2 cents ..... :)
  • Jeep veers a little in a straight line at speed, less than 1/2" play in wheel
  • Jeep veers a lot in a straight line at speed, more than 1" play in wheel
  • Jeep steering tightens up at speed. (There's a TSB on this one. See Technical forum.)
  • Jeep steers perfectly
Sponsored

ledzeppelin1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Unlimited V6
I think this may be a bit more beneficial...they probably want to see some raw data before "justifying" a recall. Maybe a survery would be helpful?

If you had to create a survey, what questions would you insert?

I agree with the last post, I like those categories. Really should have another vehicle comparison too to show Jeeps relative deficiency.

Also if anyone has actually gotten into an accident or have anecdotes of things that have happened secondary to the steering issue should free text that

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the last post, I like those categories. Really should have another vehicle comparison too to show Jeeps relative deficiency.

Also if anyone has actually gotten into an accident or have anecdotes of things that have happened secondary to the steering issue should free text that
Do you have any questions to add to @cabnfvr 's ?

ledzeppelin1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
May be worthwhile to make it as scientific as possible - list the amount of degrees off center the wheel goes before steering engages

Survey:
1-2 degrees
3-4 degrees
5-6 degrees
7-8 degrees
9-10 degrees

And we should really have it compared to other vehicles somehow

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Our's isn't bad, less than 1/2" play, but it could be better. I was going to adjust the steering box play but the set screw is too tight. I'll ask the dealer to do it soon. (It they break it....). I could live with ours but it could be better. I feel for those few with major steering play issues.

p.s.
I like degrees of play but can everyone provide accurate numbers for that?
Our 3 series BMW has zero play. Zero, none, nada, zip.

Sponsored

ledzeppelin1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our's isn't bad, less than 1/2" play, but it could be better. I was going to adjust the steering box play but the set screw is too tight. I'll ask the dealer to do it soon. (It they break it....). I could live with ours but it could be better. I feel for those few with major steering play issues.

p.s.
I like degrees of play but can everyone provide accurate numbers for that?
Our 3 series BMW has zero play. Zero, none, nada, zip.
We can go old school and get some protractors out lol. Might just be easier to take a tape measurer and measure in cm or in though

And exactly, imagine seeing a difference of 10-15 degrees versus zero? Jeep would have to do something at seeing that (I would hope)

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
We can go old school and get some protractors out lol. Might just be easier to take a tape measurer and measure in cm or in though

And exactly, imagine seeing a difference of 10-15 degrees versus zero? Jeep would have to do something at seeing that (I would hope)
Working on a survey now...

Mr Bill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
This is great! Has ANYONE on this forum with this issue had an accident because of it? I have owned 4 Wrangler over the last 20 plus years and this one just "feels" quite a bit different from the steering aspect. Not sure if I can pinpoint/explain it just feels like you are "fighting" it especially around curves and at highway speed. I am going to pay more attention to it as time goes have only had it a week! Thanks again for this I remember when I bought my 2007 JK (first model year also) experienced EVERTHING turning off for a split second when I hit a certain mileage. A bunch of people from this forum posted the issue on the national safety website and Jeep finally did a recall it was a PCM flash fixed the issue! Hopefully this will have the same effect and pressure them into it?

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Jungle31

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 and 2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
I have the same issue, I’m afraid. I should say up front that I have zero expectation of my Jeep to have steering like a 3-series BMW. However, my new JLU Rubi definitely has a bias off the road to the right. It is so subtle, that other conditions can overwhelm it (like a road section tilted to the left) but it is there 100% of the time. I typically drive on the left side of roads where applicable to counter the bias.
I must drive with my left hand resting on the left side of the wheel to keep going straight under most conditions. What’s slightly more alarming is that “Center” moves around a little as the road shape changes. In other words, if I’m just trying to drive in a straight line down the highway and I encounter minor rolls or depressions, the wheel ends up in a slightly different position at the completion of the undulations to continue going straight.

It is vague. It is spongey. It isn’t so awful that I’ve done anything but respond to this post so far, but I thought I should at least raise my hand and say you aren’t crazy.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Once we get the survey "perfected" I'll start a new thread with it. Yall let me know when you want this done.

msteiner77

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Submitted.
Issue is very annoying. Been to the dealership 3 times... they claim it's due to road crowning. Impossible in my opinion.

Need this fixed asap

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Submitted.
Issue is very annoying. Been to the dealership 3 times... they claim it's due to road crowning. Impossible in my opinion.

Need this fixed asap
I've received your submission! It looks like it's working. Thanks!

WutRoad

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite JLUSS
One suggestion. I bought mine off the lot so I don't have an order date. Might be better to ask build date. I'm gonna fill it out anyway!!

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
One suggestion. I bought mine off the lot so I don't have an order date. Might be better to ask build date. I'm gonna fill it out anyway!!
Done! Thanks for this
Sponsored