Is hood flutter a thing?

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
The vents and redesigned hood latches were added on the JL to eliminate it and it works well. I've never had flutter even passing at 90 mph or passing a semi truck going the other direction in 40 mph winds. (the two times I always get flutter when driving my Mom's JK.) Stands to reason blocking the vents with the side marker lights would introduce the potential for flutter.
I watched the hood on my wife's JLU Rubicon more than once in strong winds, especially when passing a semi or one passed us. Driving 70 mph into winds of 15+ ,mph and hitting the wake of a semi - I was glad those two side latches were strong! I watched the center front lift a bit.
And yes, the latches pull down on the hood. But it's a big chunk of metal and air is being shoved into the engine bay under the hood resulting in an effect similar to the effect of driving a hatchback with the front windows down.
Sponsored

AussieJLOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Overland Unlimited
The side vents were specifically added to the JL by Jeep to minimise/eliminate the hood flutter of previous models. It is designed for purpose so blocking the vents will most likely negate their purpose & increase the likelihood of hood flutter &/or put undue pressure on the hood latches causing damage or failure. The vents are not just there for looks, they actually have a purpose!
I just happened upon someone commenting about hood flutter after altering the side vents. I was going to install the new Morimoto side lights where the vent are, but now I'm not so sure I should. No sense in creating a problem.

What say you?