Sponsored

is the death wobble still a thing in the JL or is it too soon to tell?

maitaimark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
What temperature was it outside when this happened? My theory is this is happening at colder temps. Mine comes and goes and i can only tie it to the temp.
I was just thinking that...about the temperature. The few episodes of slight wobbling happened in October, weather was up and down in 50s and 60s. When it happened the other day, it was a violent shaking and the temp was in the 30s. And now I'm wondering if tire pressure is having something to do with it because psi does go down in colder temps.

Just turned in my 2018 JLU (8800 miles) to the dealer because of instability at high speeds, I suppose it’s called the death wobble. Dealer wouldn’t let me drive the car (unsafe) and ordered a steering damper/stabilizer that was on backorder. Dealer mentioned that this may be a thing on the JLs. So now I’m waiting for the part to come in.
Sponsored

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray
Just turned in my 2018 JLU (8800 miles) to the dealer because of instability at high speeds, I suppose it’s called the death wobble. Dealer wouldn’t let me drive the car (unsafe) and ordered a steering damper/stabilizer that was on backorder. Dealer mentioned that this may be a thing on the JLs. So now I’m waiting for the part to come in.
Did they give you a loaner? Or did you have to walk home.

Man this sucks. So not looking to Wednesday’s appointment.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Just solved my Death Wobble problem with a new Stabilizer Shock that seemed take out all the road feel I had in steering wheel. Factory one gave out at 4K miles on a Sport with 35s.

Sponsored

whit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU
Just solved my Death Wobble problem with a new Stabilizer Shock that seemed take out all the road feel I had in steering wheel. Factory one gave out at 4K miles on a Sport with 35s.
I give up :facepalm:

Jl-Family

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Cnc machine programmer
Jeep informant just posted a video taking about death wobble on the jl’s Look it up on you tube . He talked about the loose steering issue also .

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Last edited:

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I give up :facepalm:
You can say that, but currently it's the FCA fix. So either they are just thrwowing parts at the issue to bide time, or it might be a legit fix for the new JL and how its designed. Just saying.

Sponsored

whit

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU
You can say that, but currently it's the FCA fix. So either they are just thrwowing parts at the issue to bide time, or it might be a legit fix for the new JL and how its designed. Just saying.
Replacing the stabilizer will almost certainly make the symptoms go away. That's why it's commonly misunderstood to be the solution. But it doesn't actually fix the underlying problem. It just masks it temporarily. Might come back in days. Might come back in years. But it'll definitely come back. See post #99. Doesn't surprise me the slightest, because that's the same story I've heard hundreds of times in the past on JKs, TJs, etc. There's just a growing number of new Jeep folks (which I openly welcome to the family) that still have much to learn.

As far as why dealers are just throwing new stabilizers on, I suspect the reason is twofold. First, I bet 9 out of 10 people who bring their Jeep to the dealer for DW don't actually have true DW but a much milder steering shake/shimmy/vibration. And the dealer really has no quick/easy way to figure it out for sure. In those milder cases, replacing the stabilizer could very well be the appropriate fix. It is never the appropriate fix for true DW though. Second, the level of thorough and systematic diagnosis it takes to pinpoint the underlying cause of true DW takes a long time. The dealers aren't willing to spend that much time (nor do they usually have the expertise) if it is a simple shimmy and not true DW. If they replace the stabilizer 2 or 3 times on the same Jeep and the customer keeps coming back, then they'll probably try to diagnose it for real. Actually, they'll probably just go the lemon law route at that point and give them a new Jeep.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I live in NJ. which shop do you recommend that is knowledgeable in DW

Bonzy

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered Jeep Jl
Title says it all. I'm wondering if this was fixed or is it possible that this still be an issue with a lift and larger tires? Anyone with the MOPAR lift has experienced this?
The wobble is still real. I have taken my JL in twice already to have it fixed. Very frustrating.

OP
OP
jhonn236_AZ

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
The wobble is still real. I have taken my JL in twice already to have it fixed. Very frustrating.
dang! what are you running? as in tires, lift, spacers, etc. Any answers from the dealer as to why?
Sponsored