Sponsored

is the death wobble still a thing in the JL or is it too soon to tell?

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Title says it all. I'm wondering if this was fixed or is it possible that this still be an issue with a lift and larger tires? Anyone with the MOPAR lift has experienced this?
Sponsored

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This channel has some pretty good info on the JL and he posts regular content but he covered this pretty well IMO.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jhonn236_AZ

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok so based on that video - time will tell? (I posted my previous comment before finishing the vid, and so I deleted it)

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I pretty much am of the same thought. Time will tell.

From all of my reading when you add a lift you will be causing the steering components to wear faster. The rate depends on how much you are lifting it and how much is done to correct the changes the lift causes. People will say a small lift does not affect it. It does. Not a LOT but there is an effect. This just means that you would want to keep on top of maintenance and as this video shows, replace all components when they start to wear, not just the one worn component.

Same thing will happen to a stock Jeep eventually, just not as fast as a lifted jeep with big tires.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Any vehicle with a live axle 4 link suspension is susceptible to death wobble. My brother had it on his RAM.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I fought it really hard on a WJ once. It didn't go away until I replaced the steering box and control arm bushings upper and lower. So the problem lied in one of those two components. It had nothing to do with the track bar, drag link, tie rod, shocks, steering stabilizer, etc. I really believe the control arms were the issue.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Any vehicle with a live axle 4 link suspension is susceptible to death wobble. My brother had it on his RAM.
This is 100% valid, so yea, it’s something that can happen.

On a good note, had a JK that didn’t develop any sort of death wobble for 107K miles, then a nice 2.5 inch lift and bam, death wobble. Fixed it by repaceing upper and lower ball joints, and swapping out most steering components with beefy aftermarket goods. Drove like a champ after all that

Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Bone stock JK -> 1st death wobble was at 40,000 miles. Had it twice more. I believe the people who suspect steering stabilizer bar and it’s bolts loosening.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Worn bushings and other worn out steering components cause death wobble, it isn't something you will see driving a JL off the lot.

OP
OP
jhonn236_AZ

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so it's a jeep, dodge/ram, Chrysler thing? :cwl: jk... jk.

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I currently have death wobble. After 12 hours in a shop and testing every possible thing, the only way they could get it to stop was a caster angle of -3.5. 9k miles on odometer, mild offroading

Toreador

First Name
Ely
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
I currently have death wobble. After 12 hours in a shop and testing every possible thing, the only way they could get it to stop was a caster angle of -3.5. 9k miles on odometer, mild offroading
Do you have a lift?
Sponsored