Sponsored

Is Bronco worth the wait?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Hey, I like the look, of the new Bronco. I saw one driving around my neighborhood, the other day.
Sponsored

TGB

First Name
TGB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
In its latest video, TFL says Bronco is great but not worth the wait and the hassle with Ford dealers. Lease a Wrangler 4Xe or get a used FJ Cruiser instead.

Ford’s production issues are a big deal and seem to be getting worse. I am glad to see TFL say it as it is, albeit in a respectful manner. Too many youtubers seem scared to call out Ford and trigger its wrath.

Personally, I don’t think getting an FJ Cruiser is realistic for most Bronco reservation holders. The type of buyer Ford has targeted is not interested in a discontinued Toyota. And I doubt a Wrangler 4Xe is realistic, either; Ford has spent too much energy defining Bronco as the anti-Jeep for those buyers to switch over at this point. Perhaps a Land Rover Defender would be more realistic.

Nevertheless, it is a good watch.

I know squat about the new bronco however I saw one live and in color on the road just the other day and I can tell you this....IMO its freakin' UGLY.
Looks like a Kia and a Hyundai had child out of wedlock.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure I heard anywhere in the video or saw anything that equaled "Toyota Crawl Control electronic aids are clearly superior to Bronco's"....? This particular video has been my favorite comparison where its just 2 guys enjoying the vehicles for what they are without needlessly bashing either. I thought it mainly showed that they are both capable in their own right and again...you can not take the top/doors off the 4Runner while the Bronco seems to be just as good both on AND off road. I'd still have a 4Runner if a convertible option was available as it may be dated in most ways (engine/transmission/interior/styling) but is IMO the most proven reliable machine out of the three as a daily driver.
I say this as someone who went from a 4Runner Trail to a Rubicon and also have a Bronco reservation in place.
You must have closed your eyes during the part of the video where the Bronco digs itself into a hole using only the electronics. Meanwhile, 4Runner gets through on the first try and with little drama.

The argument that you can’t take the top off a 4Runner holds little water if every Bronco will need lockers just to get through a trail.

In any event, the plain truth is you can’t remove the top off the Bronco either...as long as they keep piling up on an empty lot.

PS - On another video, a freaking Subaru Outback gets through that very same spot the Bronco struggled...

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
You must have closed your eyes during the part of the video where the Bronco digs itself into a hole using only the electronics. Meanwhile, 4Runner gets through on the first try and with little drama.

The argument that you can’t take the top off a 4Runner holds little water if every Bronco will need lockers just to get through a trail.

In any event, the plain truth is you can’t remove the top off the Bronco either...as long as they keep piling up on an empty lot.

PS - On another video, a freaking Subaru Outback gets through that very same spot the Bronco struggled...
To be fair, I wouldn't judge an entire vehicle based on one driver driving through one obstacle in one video.

I've seen lots of different Jeeps stuck on lots of different obstacles. Even when they had lockers front and rear. Some of it was driver error. Some of it was wheelbase related. Tires can let you down a lot of times too. Some of it was just bad luck.

I'm not trying to say the electronic systems are great on a Ford. I have no idea. I just know I wouldn't judge them on one isolated stuck.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
I don't believe "wedlock" affects the appearance of an offspring.

For what it's worth, I don't see design cues or body lines similar to the Bronco in either the Hyundai or Kia lineup. Are you sure you were not looking at the Bronco Sport crossover?

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair, I wouldn't judge an entire vehicle based on one driver driving through one obstacle in one video.

I've seen lots of different Jeeps stuck on lots of different obstacles. Even when they had lockers front and rear. Some of it was driver error. Some of it was wheelbase related. Tires can let you down a lot of times too. Some of it was just bad luck.

I'm not trying to say the electronic systems are great on a Ford. I have no idea. I just know I wouldn't judge them on one isolated stuck.
That’s fair. On the same token, it is fair to show a Ford Bronco stuck. Something Ford wouldn’t freely allow anyone to show or say for 18 months...

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I agree. That hardtop appears too complicated and to lack structural integrity. It will become the source of endless headaches for Ford, dealers and Bronco owners.
A quick solution to a hard top support is $2.97 Tension shower rod. Adjusts 28-48" so it can be stored with ease.

Screenshot_20210817-114259.jpg

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A quick solution to a hard top support is $2.97 Tension shower rod. Adjusts 28-48" so it can be stored with ease.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is Bronco worth the wait? Screenshot_20210817-114259
Can you imagine $70,000 Broncos driving around with a shower curtain rod...? 😫

• Haha
Reactions: VNT

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I read somewhere that the reason Ford chose GoodYear Territory ATs for Bronco is because... GoodYear Duratracs have “WRANGLER” plastered on the sidewalls!
Jeep Wrangler JL Is Bronco worth the wait? 1629218290658

If Ford made business decisions based on such pettiness, no wonder Bronco is having so many issues.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
I know squat about the new bronco however I saw one live and in color on the road just the other day and I can tell you this....IMO its freakin' UGLY.
Are you sure you didn't see the Ford Bronco Sport? There is a BIG difference and there aren't that many actual Broncos on the road currently. The actual Ford Bronco (non sport model) is being universally praised for its styling but almost everyone except for the "its not a Jeep so its ugly" crowd.

I didn't judge the entire performance of the Bronco in every off road situation based on 1 part, 1 driving mode and 1 driver as no one should. Do you really think that the 4Runner outperforms the Bronco in every off road situation? Let's circle back when there's videos of Bronco's performing better than a 4Runner every time there's a single occurrence. If you really think that the Outback is a better off roader than the Bronco then that really shows your bias and lack of rationalizing the vehicle.

Last edited:

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Is Bronco worth the wait?

I put down $100 in January to reserve a place in line. Went to the Ford dealer with my Black Diamond all speced out and ready to order. The salesman was a clueless kid who couldn't find his butt with both hands. Got disgusted and left. Sales Mgr calls me at home, says, "Let's do this!" I ask him what the lead time was. uhhh... crickets.

Cancelled my res, got the 100 bucks back. Went to the Jeep dealer, ordered a 2dr 80th Edition optioned the way I want it and I've been driving it for 5 months now.

Bronco worth the wait?

Not for me, anyway.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure you didn't see the Ford Bronco Sport? There is a BIG difference and there aren't that many actual Broncos on the road currently. The actual Ford Bronco sport is being universally praised for its styling but almost everyone except for the "its not a Jeep so its ugly" crowd.

I didn't judge the entire performance of the Bronco in every off road situation based on 1 part, 1 driving mode and 1 driver as no one should. Do you really think that the 4Runner outperforms the Bronco in every off road situation? Let's circle back when there's videos of Bronco's performing better than a 4Runner every time there's a single occurrence. If you really think that the Outback is a better off roader than the Bronco then that really shows your bias and lack of rationalizing the vehicle.
What it really shows is your willingness to swallow the hype of the past 2 years.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
What it really shows is your willingness to swallow the hype of the past 2 years.
There's videos of the Bronco being plenty capable so not sure where you are headed with this. I get it, you are a Jeep fanboy surrounded by other Jeep fanboys on this forum. It's fine. I love Jeeps as well and have had many through my life but don't close my eyes to other brands because of the name. Nor am I going to judge the entire Bronco on 1 part in an off roading video (when it did just as well as the 4Runner in the rest of the video) or judge the entire vehicle on problems with the hardtop/delivery issues.
Sponsored