TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
If you're looking to do more, a Taser will set your alarm to go off if the hood is opened.
I planned to get hood locks but the tazer hood alarm fits my needs.
Sponsored

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Your alarm is only useful if there is anyone around who will actually do anything. A Bolt key lock makes it much more difficult to get the hood open in the first place.
What exactly do you mean by “actually doing anything”?

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
What exactly do you mean by “actually doing anything”?
The alarm only makes noise, it doesn't lock anything down. If there is no one nearby, or anyone nearby just doesn't care to deter a thief when the alarm sounds, then the alarm is useless.

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
I disagree and think that the alarm sounding is the deterrent whether anyone is visibly around or not. If the thief is continuing to work through an actively audible alarm, not like you are going to stop that kind of determination.

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I disagree and think that the alarm sounding is the deterrent whether anyone is visibly around or not. If the thief is continuing to work through an actively audible alarm, not like you are going to stop that kind of determination.
Exactly.

Doesn’t matter if he’s the only one within 100 miles. The thief only needs to think that someone might hear the alarm.

There's really nothing worth stealing under the hood anyway.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I hear car alarms pretty regularly...I don't think anyone here even looks around when one goes off. I usually just hope the thief can get it over with quickly so I can stop hearing it.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Bolt hood lock. Comes with new middle panel inserts as well. Installation took about 45 minutes. Fairly sturdy and keys to your vehicle by inserting and turning 3 times.

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I recommend them. I have had them since I picked up my Jeep 3 years ago. They have survived routine service shops, and NYC winters. There is the bolt hood lock as well. Do a forum search, lots of good info on that one. Depends on what you want/need I guess.

Good luck!
I can vouch for these as well, only had for 6 months though. They are heavy duty, seem well built and were easy to install. Two things you need to know if living in dusty or salty areas. First, be prepared to put in graphite regularly and to use the locks so they don't seize up. Second, I put a bit of black electrical tape over the key hole to even further prevent issues (plus looks cleaner than seeing the bright silver round key hole). You can't even tell it is there and easy to remove and put back when opening the hood.

Sponsored

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Exactly.

Doesn’t matter if he’s the only one within 100 miles. The thief only needs to think that someone might hear the alarm.

There's really nothing worth stealing under the hood anyway.
Anything is better than nothing as far as locks. For around a $100 a Bolt hood lock or something like it is cheap insurance. A alarm is worthless in most places. The thief will be gone before you know it. A unscrupulous thief can take a battery or complete grill in about 2 minutes. The expensive LED head lights are probably pretty tempting also.

rubiria

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I found this on a google search today but I don’t know if it’s any good. It’s suppose to lock/unlock the hood with your key fob and it’s compatible with the front trail cam.

https://www.lasfit.com/products/las...k-for-18-22-jeep-wrangler-jl-and-gladiator-jt
I’m curious if anyone has this installed on their Jeep. I like to see experiences on this one, even though the Bolt Key Lock is what I initially prefer (despite requiring drilling/riveting etc).

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I’m curious if anyone has this installed on their Jeep. I like to see experiences on this one, even though the Bolt Key Lock is what I initially prefer (despite requiring drilling/riveting etc).
That electric hood lock looks pretty cool if it is reliable and durable. It would be a great option for vehicles with front mounted cameras.

The Bolt hood lock is super simple to install. Takes about 45 minutes start to finish if it's your first time. Less then 30 Minutes if you have done one before. The auto keying feature is cool and I think it is a durable product.
Sponsored