Sponsored

Bolt Hood Locks for the JL

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nice finished look!

Cwg33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2024 2-door Willy’s
after waiting 6 months for mine, it's still sitting in the box... now I'm waiting for the 1/4" rivet gun i ordered to install it
Luckily I already had a rivet gun from previous JK hood lock install.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
AT LAST !! Maybe the New Year, 2020, will see the arrival of long awaited accessories for the JL 2 door ...the third year is the Charm !

Sponsored

Lastwrights

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just finished installing mine. Just an FYI it’s possible to install without taking the grill all the way off. Don’t be lazy like me, remove the winch your forearms will thank you.

looks great and works perfectly

MojoHanky

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU V6 6M ($299 lease and driven like stolen), BMW 335D (400whp/600wtq)
I just installed mine. Roughly a 30-45 minute installation for a run of the mill office worker like me on a cold day. The included instructions are pretty good, but not completely comprehensive.

Tips:

1. The six plastic push-pin retainers removed from the top of the grille are easy.
2. The bottom grille pressure clips (I think there are about six in a line across the very bottom and then one more on each side just a bit higher up toward the headlight IIRC) take some effort, especially the first time you remove the grille. I was a little concerned about cracking something plastic, but my fears were unfounded. Rock the top of the grille forward enough to get one hand a nice hold on the bottom of the headlight opening and your other hand at that bottom corner of the grille and give a few short but confident yanks with equal pressure from both hands and they'll pop out.
3. The four holes for the lock itself are obvious. This $19.99 rivet gun from Harbor Freight worked perfectly: https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy...and-riveter-with-collection-bottle-66422.html
4. On the center mesh insert, the torx bolts are easy. The two white tabs are easy. The (I think six) black retention clips were kind of a PITA if you have never released them before. A stubby flat tip is the best tool, and then learn the procedure in the video below. This is NOT covered in the instructions.
5. Then replace with the replacement center mesh with the Bolt cutout opening, and put everything back in reverse. I reused all plastic clips and saved the ones provided by Bolt for a rainy day (aka when I turn in my leased JLU).

Most helpful YT video I could find to show how the black retention clips on the center mesh work and how to release (starting around 2'30"). Just remember you only need to remove the center mesh section and not the two mesh sides:

Pic of mine installed. These are really a no-brainer at half the price of the Mopar version, and with the lock learning your key on its own:
KEFMozbl.jpg

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
I installed mine this morning. Took about an hour start to finish including clean-up and putting everything away. Although I was getting very impatient with BOLT, I have to say that I’m glad I waited. The ability to remove the key in both the locked and unlocked position is a major plus. And, the fit and finish of the parts are top notch. BTW, I ordered mine from Northridge and with a discount code it was $111 with no tax and free shipping.

A35021-BA-51-D2-4127-A160-6-B6-A7-ED5053-D.jpg

6976-DD62-8-C2-D-4-A78-AB24-4049-CB37-B188.jpg

After Clean-up.
3008-BC84-D3-CD-4-F21-9-B21-EA0-FF596-AE01.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

MojoHanky

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU V6 6M ($299 lease and driven like stolen), BMW 335D (400whp/600wtq)
Thanks ! I like the fact you can lock it at will, lock only in iffy areas, unlocked for quick access off road
Agreed. Does the Mopar version only release the key in the locked position? If so, that would suck.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I'm skeptical the little rubber cover over the key hole is going to last very long. and once it's gone, I wonder what's going to happen when rain is forced into the cylinder at highway speeds...

oh, and I'm really glad I purchased a pop rivet gun with 17" handles before I started this job. I tried using a rivet gun with 13" handles first, and there was no way I was gonna get it done with that. I'm not a big guy but, since you thought it, yes, I do lift :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049E4VJO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
I
I'm skeptical the little rubber cover over the key hole is going to last very long. and once it's gone, I wonder what's going to happen when rain is forced into the cylinder at highway speeds..
BOLT has a lifetime warranty. The rubber cover holder slips on from the front so it’s easily replaceable. If it breaks or it gets lost, keep your proof of purchase and BOLT will replace it.
Sponsored