Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Back to JL Bashing, a relief from "he said " bashing ; if the JK passed this test, lets see that test video, and damage aftermath, and compare the two.
The frame flare out, and suspension component attachment points " may " have caused the lift, and roll.
The JK comes close to tipping, but not quite. There is more cabin intrusion than the JL though

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's an IFS frame and it is still narrower in front than at midship.

But whatever...if you think that's what caused the tip over, you don't need my permission and frankly, this whole thread is much ado about nothing.
Yes but IFS shouldn't make a difference in what I'm talking about. the Ram's frame is wider at the front meaning it takes more of an impact in a small overlap test. Flaring out the frame could help in this instance, but that would prevent using a stubby aftermarket bumper. The frame shape isn't the only cause but It contributes. Its the price we pay for the off road capability. For what its worth it does a good job keeping the cabin intact and that's where it counts.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A 2WD Ram 1500 isn 't going to run a larger diameter tire like even an IFS 4WD would....which means it doesn't need to have the frame come in as much.
Except that frame I showed was a 4x4. Notice how it still flares out in the front and gives a wider area for it to take an impact. For this specific test, the Jeep's frame just doesn't take any of the impact until the vehicle passes the point behind the front axle. A stronger bumper could be a good answer to this test as that stock bumper doesn't have much behind the plastic.

And in no way am I advocating IFS as a better off roader, before anyone thinks I am, lol.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mea Culpa. Didn't notice the drive axle.

You're right that flaring out the very front of the frame would help in this specific accident test.....and then people would have to cut it off b/c it would fuck your approach angle (and limit the diameter tire you could clear). I wouldn't be surprised if this is the route Jeep decides to take.

Same thing happens on Toyota's cab mounts in front of the front door....and people have to cut them down and plate them in.
All true, there will always be mods. I think I'm more in favor of a stronger bumper or a cross brace type of reinforcement. A lot of bumpers get swapped out anyway so modded rigs might not have an issue. That is without taking a higher center of gravity from a lift and bigger tires into account.

Last edited:

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
One thing I noticed in comparing the JK and JL videos is the driver side front tire does different things. On the JK it gets crushed on the metal pillar deflates and moves out of the way, On the JL it does not hit the pillar and somehow gets pushed under the frame which may contribute to the rollover, hard to tell if it has blow out.

Interesting that FCA sent a second vehicle and got same result, or maybe the second vehicle was a bribe and they were not smart enough to know that and crashed it too. just kidding:LOL::LOL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I don't know why we're worrying about rolling over. I'm a big proponent of the two JL safety packages, but as the Luddites on this forum say, "just pay attention" and you won't need them. Same applies to rollovers; if we'd just pay better attention, we wouldn't care about crashworthiness.

just kidding :)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I don't know why we're worrying about rolling over. I'm a big proponent of the two JL safety packages, but as the Luddites on this forum say, "just pay attention" and you won't need them. Same applies to rollovers; if we'd just pay better attention, we wouldn't care about crashworthiness.

just kidding :)
I wish I could see that exact same crash recreated with the emergency braking feature utilized. That would be great. Judging by the crash I believe with all my heart, soul, and mind that the Jeep absolutely would not have rolled over because the braking would reduce the speed tremendously prior to the impact. I just wish I could see how much. Still totaled? Doubt it. Fender bender? Maybe.

Wranglernator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler (sold); 2021 Sting Gray Rubi Unlimited
Occupation
Evil Overlord
One thing I noticed in comparing the JK and JL videos is the driver side front tire does different things. On the JK it gets crushed on the metal pillar deflates and moves out of the way, On the JL it does not hit the pillar and somehow gets pushed under the frame which may contribute to the rollover, hard to tell if it has blow out.

Interesting that FCA sent a second vehicle and got same result, or maybe the second vehicle was a bribe and they were not smart enough to know that and crashed it too. just kidding:LOL::LOL:
This. It's the wheel tunneling under the JL that makes it roll. A much easier fix than redesigning the chassis.

This test was done with a Sport right? I wonder if the Rubicon with its obviously more robust axle, linkage, and suspension would do the same.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
The next generation Wrangler (JM) is already undergoing safety testing with new airbags made in Wuhan, China on the menu.
Jeep Wrangler JL IIHS rollover test? giphy - 2020-05-15T191902.452
Sponsored