Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Does anyone know if the JK had similair results?
When subjected to the same small overlap crash test, the 2015 JKU used by IIHS did not tip over.

The absence of a front side airbag in the JKU, made glaringly evident at 0:50, certainly gets one's attention. The 2018+ JL Jeeps now have that fitment as standard.

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
Also note the differences of the front passenger side tire and the acceleration of the wranglers steering wheel to the left.
I wonder if that quick turn to the left contributes to the rollover.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Solid mass causes the (solid axle) driver wheel to push to the rear, causing axle to rotate and passenger side wheel turns in creating the overturn of the vehicle.

Sponsored

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
Put some rocks, sand and mud in the path towards that barrier, select low range, lock the diffs, disconnect the sway bar and just drive over that freakin barrier.

The Jeep will outperform any other vehicle in its own habitat.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Solid mass causes the (solid axle) driver wheel to push to the rear, causing axle to rotate and passenger side wheel turns in creating the overturn of the vehicle.
Thanks for the concise explanation. I wonder what they tried to do to keep that from happening.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Seems the JL is more susceptible to this than the JK so there must be some small change to the Jl axle design that creates this!

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Just notice the windshield didn’t break in a crash but it breaks when a bug hits it.
If they ever add a “bug impact test” the Wrangler’s safety rating will really be toast!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Seems the JL is more susceptible to this than the JK so there must be some small change to the Jl axle design that creates this!
JL sits quite a bit higher than JK.

My JLU Sahara came from the factory with as much ground clearance as my JKUR Recon.

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
It would be interesting to see if the Jeep consistently rolls on it’s side after multiple test crashes as opposed to just one.

And the rollovers happened during “small overlap” impacts, I guess the moral of the story is if you’re going to hit somebody head-on, (not recommended) try and get a full overlap square on with the opposing vehicle.🤪

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Here is the same test on the Ford Bronco 4 door. For whatever reason, the energy from the Jeep collision pushed the Jeep up, while the energy from the Bronco collision pushed the Bronco down. I assume the difference is due to the straight axle on the Jeep vs IFS on the Bronco.

Last edited:

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Absolutely the difference! solid axle is also being pushed along with wheel in the Jl test...Bronco only has the components of the wheel being compromised(along with the whole side )

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
Watch the steering wheel in the video. There's more happening than what you're describing.

J_Winslow

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
People focus too much on the fact that it lands on its side. I'd rather have the momentum of the impact slow gradually over time than come to an abrupt stop. The force of impact is lessened the more the vehicle can continue moving... even if that means going on its side. I randomly watched a few small overlap impacts on youtube, and watch how violently this one comes to a stop. No thanks.
Got to agree... that video is far more violent than the jeep going to its side. I imagine the person would be far more injured.
Sponsored

Last edited: