Sponsored

JL IIHS Crash Test Videos - Marginal Overall Safety Rating, Good Side Impact Rating

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
All they do is analyze and provide data to make corporations build safer cars and trucks. I don’t get the IIHS suspicion. The tests aren’t perfect but with limited resources they try and simulate the most common causes of death and injury to help manufacturers. I liked the interview. They also rate headlamps and how glare effects oncoming traffic.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
It's like most things. Easy to chuckle it off or say it'll never happen to you because you're the best driver ever blahblahblah… until it happens to you.Anyone who has ever been in a serious wreck probably has a slightly different perspective on things...
I don’t think any post on here is suggesting that the poster is invincible or that an accident can not happen to them.

Public toilets exist because shit happens. If you’ve seen the accidents that I’ve seen, you would probably never step into another motor vehicle and you would most likely never leave your house.

I’m sorry to hear about your brother but I’m glad he’s safe and okay enough to be able to choose what to drive.

No one is denying that safety is important. Most vehicle motor accidents are the result of operator error, mechanical failure or both.

But even the safest, strongest vehicle can result in the occupants dying if the dynamics of the accident warrant so.

No vehicle or system, no matter how sophisticated, can repel the laws of physics.

These IIHS tests simply gauge how well a vehicle will perform under a controlled environment, something that the real world is not. At the end of the day, an experienced, vigilant non impaired, non distracted driver is the safest variable in a vehicle and can make a difference whether he and the people around him get to arrive safely to their destination. Or not.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
No one is denying that safety is important. Most vehicle motor accidents are the result of operator error, mechanical failure or both.
People can make some pretty dumb mistakes. The worst accident I've ever been in was because another driver decided to make a u-turn right in front of me. There wasn't any time at all to make a meaningful reaction. Even slamming the brakes proved to be pretty futile unfortunately. I'm just trying to say, it's totally possible to get thrown into a very dangerous situation in an instant, no fault of your own. One of my favorite examples is that one where a tire flew off a car and exploded on a Jeep going the opposite way on the freeway.

Anyway, this might make you laugh, but the whole reason I even thought of selling my JK and buying a JL in the first place, was when I found out the forward collision avoidance system was now an option on the JL. Between that and the much improved "roll cage" I was sold!

Where I live we have a lot of people who play with their phones while driving, and a lot of tourists. I'd rather have as many ideal cards in my deck as possible! So yeah.. I'll keep encouraging more safety features on our rock crawling 4 door convertibles. :D

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Well I for one have definite problems with IIHS. Look at the images below Both the Wrangler and 4Rrunner get the same rating of Marginal overall, The IIHS faults the 4runner for poor frame/body. IIHS feels the damage on the dummy weights the same as the Wrangler tipping on its side. I would far rather climb out thru the roof. Or maybe even have by stander help me up out the door than be trapped in pain with a broken leg/foot waiting on fire department to cut me free. Then spend months in rehab maybe be off work. They constantly make test more difficult. Head on to barrier, to to overlap test 50/50 to small overlap 25% into barrier I frankly don't need a car watching lane keeping and actually find it dangerous. A couple months back, I had a rental car on a narrow North Carolina black top. I went to go wide around a bicyclist (no oncoming traffic) only to have car fight me and try and nudge back toward to cyclist. I think it's time to allow driver to drive his or her car, if you can't drive take an Uber. We have the NHTSA to deal with auto safety. The Auto insurers can refund us the money sent to IIHS so we can afford higher trim levels with more safety nannies if we don't want to drive...
Jeep Wrangler JL JL IIHS Crash Test Videos - Marginal Overall Safety Rating, Good Side Impact Rating 4 runner
Jeep Wrangler JL JL IIHS Crash Test Videos - Marginal Overall Safety Rating, Good Side Impact Rating Wrangler

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy crap, that 4Runner did terribly. To be fair they did rate is structure POOR. The results speak for themselves. I’m pretty sure the 4Runner has higher insurance rates.

The downside to a tip over is if you’re on a busy street you’re suddenly in a way more dangerous situation. Still, that 4Runner is definitely not something I’d buy lol.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you might be joking but it does happen. and people get thrown off horses all the time too. As you’d guess, car+buggy accidents are unfortunately bad news for the people riding in the buggy. :(

If you want to ride around in a CJ you can still buy one used. Or get a mahrinda Roxor and try to get it street legal.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
I would have to believe the results might of had a better outcome if the Jeep was equipped with the factory steel bumper instead of that flimsy plastic one... Just a thought... :idea:
Sponsored