Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Agreed there def is a lot more going on! that does not detract from the fact that the tire/wheel is forced back (by the fixed battering ram)causing the axle to pivot sending the passanger wheel forward and under allowing the perfect recipe for going over...the back wheels are almost up in the air depending on the front 1 wheel which was compromised. It happened to the JL in all the tests they ran. I am not an engineer..But I can clearly see that is what's happening. I Think Aldo98229 is onto something by stating the JL is also higher than the JK so that may also factor into it.
Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
It's not just the safety though. This is really bad because Jeep made specific changes to fix the problem. That means that Jeep is doubly incompetent at engineering because they both (1) failed to fix the problem and (2) to accurately assess whether they had fixed the problem. It's one thing to not prioritize safety but another to spend several years attempting to fix a problem and failing miserably.
This is not what you think. If it’s flipping it’s because the front tire is walking up the wall as it is absorbing the crash. Bring that Jeep over another 6’ or a foot and the results would be the same as the JK, No roll over.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
This is not what you think. If it’s flipping it’s because the front tire is walking up the wall as it is absorbing the crash. Bring that Jeep over another 6’ or a foot and the results would be the same as the JK, No roll over.
Yes but the test is precisely specified and Jeep announced they made changes to improve the performance *on the test* and then failed miserably for a second time. I agree with you that in real life you're unlikely to strike at this exact location.

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 2018 Tundra 2018 4Runner 69 Chevelle
Put bigger tires on it and it would run the barrier over lol.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes but the test is precisely specified and Jeep announced they made changes to improve the performance *on the test* and then failed miserably for a second time. I agree with you that in real life you're unlikely to strike at this exact location.
They failed because the Jeep doesn’t have a full steel bumper PERIOD. The contact point is a plastic bumper, a plastic fender and a rubber tire. It merely glances off the frame horn, throwing it over. The same result would be seen if they did this test with a stubby front bumper. Apparently the front of the Jeep is just too strong and doesn’t crumple up under itself like other SUVs. Personally I’d rather this then have my legs crushed.

Sponsored

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Anyone know why the front headrests are removed from the test? I know they measure forces on the head/neck. Doesn't seem a lack of headrests would represent the most common scenario.
i suspect that’s for the camera. In a frontal/offset collision, the head restraint is not a functional safety device. IIHS has other tests that specifically measure head restraint geometry. Proper head restraint geometry and function is of utmost importance in rear end collisions.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The worst thing in the JL is the lack of curtain airbags. On any front-offset or side impact the heat of occupants is thrown into the hard metal structure or side glass.

In the past Jeep said they couldn't incorporate curtain airbags because of the removable roof.

Well, the Bronco has removable roofs and curtain airbags for front and rear occupants. I can't believe Jeep is getting away with it so blatantly.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
It does confirm one thing for me, that plastic bumper doesn't do a damn thing. It just folded in at the frame mounting point and snapped right back.

And no wonder it flipped, look where they struck the barrier. 1/8" outside of the front frame. The bend in the frame at the back of the front wheel well pushed the entire Jeep (and passenger compartment) aside away from the barrier. The barrier was stuck at the perfect position to cause maximum lateral deflection. It literally followed the frame down to the bend at the back of the front wheel well and pushed the Jeep aside by the frame.

IMO, a steel bumper would have a different outcome (it would absorb energy and spread out the lateral deflection). If the Jeep struck the barrier 1" closer to the center (and hit the frame) or 2" further towards the outside (and missed the bend in the frame) both would have different outcomes. I'm not concerned about the engineering aspect of it. This is a very specific scenario that hits the barrier just right.

Personally, I'd rather have a deflecting impact and end up on my side than an impact that is 100% absorbed by the vehicle and stay on the tires.
Had to replace our JL front plastic bumper. My teenager found the steel parking post. There is no structure to it. Plastic bumper probably helps protect pedestrians from being sucked into the tires. Steel bumpers can be designed for safety like ARB. Indestructible steel bumpers can bend the vehicle frame.

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
On the Bronco crash video, watch how the side mirror breaks apart and goes sailing through the passenger compartment. It's at about 0:35 - :40 time frame. I don't care what vehicle it is, that would not be good.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
So? Who buys one of these if that’s a priority. There’s a Volvo out there for people with that requirement.

I would happily buy a brand new CJ if they’d make them. And I ride motorcycles.

I never have bought into the safety at any cost way of thinking.
Actually since the Jeep continued forward and flipped, the impact appears to be less then the Volvo impact. The Volvo took the full brunt of the impact and came to a complete stop quickly and then backwards. The Jeep continued forward and spun farther around. This would leave me to believe that the sudden stop G forces in the Jeep crash were lower then the sudden stop G forces in the Volvo wreck. If you are wearing a seat belt, you possibly suffered less injury in the Jeep wreck. But I am no automotive engineer, just my opinion. All in all I still would take the Jeep over any other SUV!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually since the Jeep continued forward and flipped, the impact appears to be less then the Volvo impact. The Volvo took the full brunt of the impact and came to a complete stop quickly and then backwards. The Jeep continued forward and spun farther around. This would leave me to believe that the sudden stop G forces in the Jeep crash were lower then the sudden stop G forces in the Volvo wreck. If you are wearing a seat belt, you possibly suffered less injury in the Jeep wreck. But I am no automotive engineer, just my opinion. All in all I still would take the Jeep over any other SUV!!!
I totally agree the Jeep deflected the force and having a roll bar still protected the passengers.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
they put the tire blocker beam on the passenger side but they’re ramming it into the wall on the driver side.
Sponsored