Sponsored

I don't understand....maybe it's me

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
All good with me too CC, you said it perfectly, different strokes.... I personally open up 68-83 degrees but like Chocolate Thunder said it can get chilly on the highway at 68 and people do it to look “cute”. I saw a guy here in NY, weather in the 50’s the other day, convertible open, winter jacket and wool hat. Probably one of those people who spray tan themselves and tell everyone they were in the Bahamas. There’s a nice guy in these rooms, I think his handle is Newjlu19 or similar. He claims to open up at 32 degrees. I’ve told him “you’re a better man than me”.
I’m surprised he hasn’t chimed in on this one.
“Curtis where are you?”

Ha, I plan on using the hard top in the winter for the extra storage, but I'll probably be just like your New York guy next year, or whenever I get around to purchasing one of those Bestop Sunriders.

As it is, I've been wearing fall jackets and coats, with a wool watch cap on the chillier days, with the windows down all of this winter so far in NJ. Being mostly warm while it's cold all around is fun; you can pretend that you're winter camping all the time. I've never spray tanned, but iodine has made me turn strange colours sometimes, I suppose.
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
There’s a number of reasons to not take the top off. Being too busy, lack of storage, living in a risky area or working in a risky area, driving fast(it’ll be colder on a highway) come to mind.

Taking the doors and top off is a ton of fun. But for me I’ll have to put em back on the same day. I really only remove them if I’m off that day and it’s 80 degrees +. Otherwise it’s not worth the hassle.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Even with a hardtop lift, it's a pain in the ass to take on and off. Not to mention, if you park outside for work you're left without a roof all day. Stop being judgy mcjudgy pants. There are a million reasons why people might not want to be topless.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i love getting the top and doors off and tend to run with my freedom panels out as much as i can... but now that i have a RTT for long trips I dont see the top coming off much. somthing about spending two hours to get the top off doesnt sound worth it. lol doors still come off all the time. It helps me not miss my Bike as much. anyways we all have different lifestyles and different needs and wants. Enjoy your jeep as you please Except with 22:bandit:"+ rims and lowered. go buy a hummer if thats what you like LOL!

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I'd probably take the sides off my soft top more on a whim if they weren't so clumsy to store in the vehicle. I quite like the top closed/sides off config (less windy on freeway, warmer on cool days, shady on hot sunny days). My ideal would be quick-release rigid side panels that could be stored behind the back seats... Might be a pipe dream though.

Sponsored

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
I was very close to popping the top & doors off Sunday, but its not really quite warm enough yet.
Its also a bit of work with the hard top for just 1 day. Now if both Saturday and Sunday were going to be sunny and warm I would have

I also have this, which goes from hard top to no top in 13 seconds and is quite a bit warmer/less blustery than the Jeep.
20180527092048-1.jpg

I LOVE the Jeep top/door less in the summer, much more so than I was expecting.
The Miata sits in the garage a lot more in the Summer as its often too hot in it, but the air flow in the jeep and the mesh sun shade is really enjoyable.

OP
OP

crashclay

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Even with a hardtop lift, it's a pain in the ass to take on and off. Not to mention, if you park outside for work you're left without a roof all day. Stop being judgy mcjudgy pants. There are a million reasons why people might not want to be topless.
I wasn't trying to come across as "mcjudgy pants". As I said in an earlier post, there are different strokes for different folks. I genuinely was curious. I don't own a hard top and never thought of the pain in the ass factor.

Bmcconnell85

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Every chance I get, sometimes even when I shouldn't. It almost got up to 50 that day! I'd been missing doors off weather and this is as close as I was going to get for a while. It was only bad when it got windy later in the day.
1pvQvxF.jpg

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I find myself in safari mode more than I thought I would. The sun is so strong here even in winter it's like a laser beam. I'm super glad I got the soft top though, if I just had the hard top I think I'd be one of those people that never took it off.

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XXXXXX 2020 JL Rubicon 3.6
Just a random thought/question...

Yesterday was a picture perfect day in Atlanta. It was the first sunny & warm weekend day we've had in months. The temps were unseasonably warm (almost 70 vs an avg of 56). All I could think about was riding around topless knowing that today was going to be nice as well.

I have no clue how many Jeeps I saw out rolling around (there were more than 25), but being topless (or having any open air) was the exception vs the rule. It just seemed strange to me. Why not take advantage of the good weather?
How about using titles on your post? Random criticism.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I bought a beater vehicle so that my Jeep could be topless and doorless during the summer. Sometimes Michigan will trick you though. Last spring, I thought it was safe to get the Jeep into summer mode....

mkgydotbCevYPq4bS94H4HskHOdrMykSxidUq_bpwGceRBI0_HyxhRMtwI7A_h4ESGdRcO9cX-yPpo7wgk=w1346-h757-no.jpg

I usually only have to top and doors on for wheeling and winter.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I find myself in safari mode more than I thought I would. The sun is so strong here even in winter it's like a laser beam. I'm super glad I got the soft top though, if I just had the hard top I think I'd be one of those people that never took it off.
Safari mode is wonderful. It gets very hot in the summer and safari mode for keeping the sun off makes a big difference. I put the top over the Spiderweb shade.

OP
OP

crashclay

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
How about using titles on your post? Random criticism.
My apologies. I didn’t realize there were such strict editorial standards on the forum. If you can send me a link to your preferred style guide, I’ll do my bests to tailor my future posts and comments to the acceptable format.

#RandomSarcasticFeedback

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP: Perhaps a significant number of Jeepers are like myself: I live in a high rise. I park in a high rise garage. I don’t have the facilities to store my hardtop nor my doors.

OP
OP

crashclay

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
OP: Perhaps a significant number of Jeepers are like myself: I live in a high rise. I park in a high rise garage. I don’t have the facilities to store my hardtop nor my doors.
that’s a great point I never thought about. I live in a pretty rural area, so I’d say that’s a rare exception...but definitely a solid reason to not go open air.

Again, I know there are different strokes for different folks. Just curious as to why people do or don’t
Sponsored