how steep can you go?

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Going up and down is one of those crazy things that seems fine, until it doesn't! I've had a few straight-up the trail at close to 30º pitch with a crawl, but I could not see anything in front of me at the top. And I'm glad I did not have to stop, or go backwards, or turn, or slip sideways. The straight up and down is certainly easier to deal with than rolling. Whenever I get a trail that has a turn down a steep hill, I try to line up straight to not have a heavy pitch AND roll!

A roll at 25º did not feel good from inside the Jeep (what it shows on the screen below), but my spotter was supremely confident with the line. These photos are from J Trail at Rausch Creek where the first 100 yards flexes both ways hard. My concern was not for tipping, but for sliding passenger-side into the dirt wall of the trail. I also spotted a Gladiator through the same obstacle and -- as an outside observer -- 25º is no worry at all!

vlcsnap-00033-crop-1813x1020.jpg

vlcsnap-00025-level.jpg

IMG_20190714_145023.jpg

The last photo was not at full tilt for this obstacle, but still about 19º...

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Going up and down is one of those crazy things that seems fine, until it doesn't! I've had a few straight-up the trail at close to 30º pitch with a crawl, but I could not see anything in front of me at the top. And I'm glad I did not have to stop, or go backwards, or turn, or slip sideways. The straight up and down is certainly easier to deal with than rolling. Whenever I get a trail that has a turn down a steep hill, I try to line up straight to not have a heavy pitch AND roll!

A roll at 25º did not feel good from inside the Jeep (what it shows on the screen below), but my spotter was supremely confident with the line. These photos are from J Trail at Rausch Creek where the first 100 yards flexes both ways hard. My concern was not for tipping, but for sliding passenger-side into the dirt wall of the trail. I also spotted a Gladiator through the same obstacle and -- as an outside observer -- 25º is no worry at all!

IMG_20190714_145023.jpg

The last photo was not at full tilt for this obstacle, but still about 19º...
This is what is always crazy to me....I feel like I'm going to roll and then someone shows me a picture and it barely even looks like it's leaning. :CWL::CWL:

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I was in a group ride and we are just cruising through to the next obstacle. Hit 27 degrees roll and I was like "well everyone else did it, and people are behind me, so". My roof was very close to the side wall. Definitely ripped a hole in my seat with my pucker.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
"And I'm glad I did not have to stop, or go backwards, or turn, or slip sideways. The straight up and down is certainly easier to deal with than rolling. Whenever I get a trail that has a turn down a steep hill, I try to line up straight to not have a heavy pitch AND roll!"

At Hidden Falls I had gotten off course (followed arrows meant for a moto-cross event :facepalm: ) and ended up having to reenter the trail, a steep ravine almost exactly as wide as the Jeep is long, at about a 45° angle. Was going to tip over for sure or end up wedged in with no way out. So I nosed in as best as possible with a bit of momentum and was able to turn in just in time to drive a wheel up the opposite bank and get oriented the correct direction. Not sure I could pull it off a second time...

ArizonaJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I have only gotten 20° roll and 19° decline. The decline(going down hill) was nothing. But that roll felt like something else. I don't think I would feel comfortable with anything over 20 lol!

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I have a related question for ya'll.. maybe? I don't have any real offroading experience, so I'm not sure what my limits are. I live on a hillside. There is a drop off of about 8-10ft from the side of the road down to the point I'm trying to drive to. I have a distance of about 25ft to build up a slope... which would make it 30-40% grade. If it's flat and has a solid gravel base, does this sound like an OK scenario to go up and down for a stock 2dr sport w/all terrains?

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
As somebody who used to fly aircraft it drives me nuts that the attitude indicator in the Jeep does not stay level to the horizon. Its like a 3rd person view of the Jeep on the hill rather than a 1st person view.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

ive gotten to 26 degrees roll without my RTT and 24 with it. that is the worst feeling ive ever had so far. cant wait to get to moab.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
I have a related question for ya'll.. maybe? I don't have any real offroading experience, so I'm not sure what my limits are. I live on a hillside. There is a drop off of about 8-10ft from the side of the road down to the point I'm trying to drive to. I have a distance of about 25ft to build up a slope... which would make it 30-40% grade. If it's flat and has a solid gravel base, does this sound like an OK scenario to go up and down for a stock 2dr sport w/all terrains?
40% grade is roughly 22 degrees. You'll have no problem making it up that consistently.

Jeep Wrangler JL how steep can you go? 1592864490374

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
As somebody who used to fly aircraft it drives me nuts that the attitude indicator in the Jeep does not stay level to the horizon. Its like a 3rd person view of the Jeep on the hill rather than a 1st person view.
should it be altitude or elevation?