Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was at 25 yesterday and it was feeling sketchy, but stayed shiny side up. Incidentally, I’m on 40’s with a 3.5” lift
Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Been up to 27 roll and 32 pitch. Not same time! But it’s when you do get into both that it starts getting even more real.

Reactions: J0E

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
I hit 27 degrees this past weekend. Butt puckered up for a second when the tire slipped. Will try to push it farther next time to find your answer :rock:
30 isn’t too bad. Got a lil worse later at SMORR Jeep Jamboree today
5ED5BE16-63B3-4547-A1B8-880E121443CF.jpeg

Sponsored

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I decided to try my first hill.....

Do I get man points or stupidity points?

I have 3.5" metalcloak lift with 38" tires.

PHOTO_20190623_155117.jpg

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was at 27 roll last weekend. I couldn’t imagine much more, to be honest.

I’ve been at 36 pitched down. Was fairly intense but it could handle a lot more.

8972D224-DE0B-4FD3-AFD5-19EC0F250166.jpeg

MTKMAN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4xe, 21 Range Rover HSE,
Vehicle Showcase
Pitch, roll, but no mention of yaw anywhere? How do you make minor adjustments?? Jk... I’m surprised no one has geeked out and built a database for certain lifts, tire size, ect. I’m sure there is a physics/ math wiz on here that has a formula given “X” amount of weight, at certain ride height off the ground can tolerate “x degrees angle” before the Jeep goes tits up and we’re in the market for a new top.

This is all interesting and I’ve come to the realization I should probably pay more attention.

Matstery

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
It is a physical fact that any object will tip over only when its center of gravity gets outside its base of support. A jeep's base of support is easy to measure -- it is simply the vehicle's track width. The center of gravity, however, is not so easy to measure. A stock, static vehicle by itself will have a very precisely located CoG, but fuel tank levels, lift kits, mounted accessories, and occupants have a huge effect on the dynamic CoG -- especially the number, placement and weight of occupants. For instance, a single occupant in the driver's seat will raise the CoG of the vehicle slightly and move it a little to the left. A driver plus two passengers in the right front and right rear will raise the CoG even more, but move it slightly to the right. Yes, placing two occupants on the uphill side of your vehicle will help significantly.

As long as you keep your CoG over your track width your are in good shape, provided no additional force is applied (like momentum) which would swing your CoG past the tipping point.

In the Wrangler diagram below, if you assume the CoG is at the center of the spare tire mount (quite conservative, even with four occupants), I calculate the rollover angle would be roughly 40-degrees. It's easy to see how lowering the CoG would increase this rollover angle.

Jeep Wrangler JL How much pitch & roll is too much? Jeep Roll Angle

Sponsored

spaghettipie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi A4 Avant s-line, 2012 Subi Impreza sport hatchback, 2010 MB GL350, 2013 Lotus Evora S, 2020 JLU Sahara
Loving all things cars, I go to a lot of car shows & did the "Camp Jeep" experience several times. On stock Jeeps (unbelievably all models from the Renegade to the Wrangler) they take you up and down a 35 degree pitch approach/departure 18' tall 'mountain', and a 25-30 degree wedge to experience roll & articulation.

Both the pitch and roll angles were pretty impressive... while I love watching what people can do with their wranglers on extreme trails, that little course that all the models can manage confirmed to me that stock is all I personally am willing to handle! ;-)

Matstery

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Loving all things cars, I go to a lot of car shows & did the "Camp Jeep" experience several times. On stock Jeeps (unbelievably all models from the Renegade to the Wrangler) they take you up and down a 35 degree pitch approach/departure 18' tall 'mountain', and a 25-30 degree wedge to experience roll & articulation.

Both the pitch and roll angles were pretty impressive... while I love watching what people can do with their wranglers on extreme trails, that little course that all the models can manage confirmed to me that stock is all I personally am willing to handle! ;-)
Agreed! A bone-stock Wrangler is capable of some pretty amazing feats of physics.

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
My Jeep came with a book that specifies limits. I’m not in the Jeep for a few days but I’ll post it when I find it
Sponsored