First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Let’s say you get 18 MPG with the 3.6 and drive 12,000 miles per year. That equals 666 gallons of gas per year. At $2/ gal that is $1333 per year fuel cost.

Jeep says the PHEV should get 50 MPG. So same calculation equals $480 in fuel cost.

the difference is $853 per year. So with a $20k premium it will take approximately 23.4 years to break even. Lol

that diesel isn’t looking that bad compared to those numbers.
I was interested in one because driving EV around town would be awesome, and EV in the woods would be silent and awesome.

but it is like $2-3k awesome (assuming premium - tax savings), not$13k awesome.

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Well we still don't know the price and you have to remember the price isn't just for the EV. The 4xe includes a lot of standard equipment that on any other version you would have to pay extra for.

OP
OP
S2k Chris

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Well we still don't know the price and you have to remember the price isn't just for the EV. The 4xe includes a lot of standard equipment that on any other version you would have to pay extra for.
maybe. Agree the pricing isn’t necessarily final, but that order in the OP looked like it was a $60-65k Rubi with a $20k powertrain option.

Sponsored

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well like I said that price isn't just for the engine it includes the extra included options that are normally optional.

OP
OP
S2k Chris

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Well like I said that price isn't just for the engine it includes the extra included options that are normally optional.
so it’s a $30k option with $10k of “free” stuff? I mean if it’s right it’s an $84k Jeep no matter how you package it

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
I can’t vouch for this, but someone posted on a JL Wrangler FB group that they had 2 on order, Rubicon 4xe’s, lots of options but not loaded (no skyroof I think) and they were $82-84k. That...can’t be right? Can it?
E507C11C-0F2D-4297-A66D-AD6EC35BE3FA.jpeg
Someone shared that in the Wrangler 4XE Fans Group on Facebook. When an order is actually accepted, it goes in to D status. I'm not sure what this is but it doesn't appear to be a received order. I have one on order and I have a VIN but no pricing is in the system yet. I'm just wondering if the dealership is plugging in a placeholder in the pricing. I could be wrong.

Sponsored

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone shared that in the Wrangler 4XE Fans Group on Facebook. When an order is actually accepted, it goes in to D status. I'm not sure what this is but it doesn't appear to be a received order. I have one on order and I have a VIN but no pricing is in the system yet. I'm just wondering if the dealership is plugging in a placeholder in the pricing. I could be wrong.
I know where they got that price and without speaking on an official capacity for Jeep I am going to say this. I don't trust that number and do not think it will be that high. I guess we will see.

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let’s say you get 18 MPG with the 3.6 and drive 12,000 miles per year. That equals 666 gallons of gas per year. At $2/ gal that is $1333 per year fuel cost.

Jeep says the PHEV should get 50 MPG. So same calculation equals $480 in fuel cost.

the difference is $853 per year. So with a $20k premium it will take approximately 23.4 years to break even. Lol

that diesel isn’t looking that bad compared to those numbers.
It doesn't get 50 MPG, it's 50 MPGe. There's a HUGE difference. MPGe is an equivalent value placed on the vehicle when operating in electric mode. The MPG when operating in gas or gas/hybrid mode should be fairly close to a similarly equipped gas model.

I'll use Smart Cars as an example because it's one of the few vehicles that were made in both gas an electric versions. The 2013 gas Smart got anywhere from 34 to 38 MPG. The Electric Drive version wasted at 105 MPGe. Since electric is so much more efficient than gas, they came up with a formula that would give consumers something that resembles and apples to apples comparison by creating the MPGe formula.

Here's how it works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_per_gallon_gasoline_equivalent

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no doubt that there will be a premium for both new variants of the Wrangler, as demand will be really high.

That number is insanely high.

Only explanation I can even remotely consider is that MAYBE (pure speculation here) the early 4xE adopters are helping to build out the trail chargers that Jeep has said they'll install nationwide, and MAYBE you get free charging for life, like Tesla. Even then, probably not enough of a benefit....
My guess is Jeep will pay for those chargers out of pocket to play nice with the CAFE board. They may be able to avoid continuing to pay fines by investing in chargers. That's a guess with no real world information to base that on. Just seems how businesses operate these days and how the dance with the government goes.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Scott Blum who works for FCA on the wrangler development team stated they have not released pricing in any capacity and they was 100% BS. I trust him and we chat on the side about other things too and know he’s legit.

brett

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know where they got that price and without speaking on an official capacity for Jeep I am going to say this. I don't trust that number and do not think it will be that high. I guess we will see.
Forbes was guessing $4000. I spent an evening doing a lot of number crunching against other vehicles that had both gas and PHEV versions. Considering the price of the battery and equipment, I came up with $4500. So I came pretty close to Forbes. I sort of expect $5500. But with the $7500 federal tax credit, it still comes out pretty descent.

I've spent a lot of time looking at data and specs compared to pricing across the industry. I've also spent a lot of time going over the specs that have been released on the Wrangler 4XE. There were a lot of things Jeep could have done to add to the price of the vehicle. While they haven't made it cheap, they have done a number of things to keep the price in check. They could have done a bigger battery but they put one in just big enough to qualify for the full $7500 without going too big. They could have put in a bigger DC to DC converter. They could have done a larger electric motor and scaled back the gas engine. There were all sorts of things they COULD have done but I have a feeling someone put a dollar figure on the white board early on and instructed the team to stay under it.

I have felt for months that Jeep NEEDS the Wrangler 4XE to sell. They were already paying CAFE fines. I don't think the 392 would even be a possibility without the 4XE. They need those CAFE numbers to go down and the Wrangler 4XE helps. When the Renegade 4XE and Compass 4XE come to the states, that will help even more.
Sponsored