How is the ESS?

zhilbert

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Today I unplugged hood open sensor #2 on right side of engine bay. According to the wiring and software schematics it's only job is auto stop/start disable with hood open. I will get the auto start/stop warning dash symbol, but that start/stop feature was driving me crazy.
I drove the JL 68 miles today with zero issues.

Yes I am too forgetfull to turn it off at every start.
This will hold me over until I can figure out a better defeat technique for this very undesired feature.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Do we know that that hood sensor isn’t used for the remote start as well?

Not tied into the hood alarm either?

7D9BDE0F-C17A-498A-B059-249C711EFFF6.jpeg

zhilbert

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Do we know that that hood sensor isn’t used for the remote start as well?

Not tied into the hood alarm either?
Check the thread referenced in the quote above. I think I read that there are two hood sensors, one is used for ESS, the other is used for other things like remote start.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Please explain how you "disconnected it". Thank you.
As you are sitting in the jeep it is the left sensor. If you look under it you will see 2 tabs to squeeze, then you will pull up the switch through the bracket holding them. Then there are 2 tabs to release the wire from the switch.

Sponsored

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
As you are sitting in the jeep it is the left sensor. If you look under it you will see 2 tabs to squeeze, then you will pull up the switch through the bracket holding them. Then there are 2 tabs to release the wire from the switch.
May need to try this. I really hate ESS and I don't find the 3.6 implementation particularly smooth. Maybe it will get better with more break-in time.

It does seem a bit better since switching to a mid-grade gas (I did that to reduce the ethanol level not to get higher octane) so I might experiment with a couple tanks of high-grade.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
My initial thoughts are that it is as quick as they say at a traffic light but like many I've found a couple things particularly annoying.

-Pulling into my work I stop to put it in a reverse and back in, engine stops.
-Pull into my driveway when I get home. Stop in my driveway, Jeep shuts off, I put it in park it starts back up, I immediately shut it off.

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
There is a major player in tuning that is working on a programmer and it may include control of ESS.
A little ways out but progress is being made.

Treader

Threads
Reaction score
There is a major player in tuning that is working on a programmer and it may include control of ESS.
That is good news. I figured someone like Superchips or AEV would have it come with a their handheld device. Interested to see what is coming and when.

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
That is good news. I figured someone like Superchips or AEV would have it come with a their handheld device. Interested to see what is coming and when.
Just not sure the $100 price tag (if it's from the same folks who made the existing version), I'll pass. I've tried to get used to the ESS feature and I just can't do it. I will likely try the sensor trick for now.

Sponsored

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
The company I spoke about is working on a complete calibrator that will include TPMS settings, ESS enable/disable, gear ratio, and some BCM settings.
Don't waste your $$ on just a ESS disabler.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
If it’s a true programmer and not an OBDII dongle solution like the existing one, I’d pay the exorbitant price for a tuner, just for that... and to lower the TPMS PSI trigger... and maybe one or two other things especially if it can access some throttle and transmission stuff.

However this alone as a one & done solution might be worth it.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Engine wear is increased, but components are also improved to try to compensate for that and keep it under warranty, but that also means if you disable it then theoretically it will last longer?

However, like the theoretically gasoline savings of ESS, is the difference significant enough to matter to those people who care?
deep2.jpg

LMontes

First Name
Lori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 1994 XJ
Occupation
Business Owner
I am not a fan, I have not permanently disconnected it, but I do push the ESS off button each time I get in the jeep, it is a routine now and I have only had it for 2 days, just have to remember to turn it off each time you get in.
Sponsored