Sponsored

How reliable is the new 3.6l? is it straight out of the gc?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Not really sure if this is the right place to post this but it looks like at the beginning it was and then it kind of got sidetracked.

I have a 2018 JLUR With 17,000 miles on it at this point. I just took it for the third time because of a number #5 cylinder misfire. They just replaced cylinders 1,3 and 5 rocker arms because they were sticking on number five. Headed home not even 24 hours after being fix and it started doing the same thing that it was doing previous to them fixing it. My ā€œA!ā€ came on, if you donā€™t scan it it wonā€™t come up when they do scan it if itā€™s off. So I took it to the dealership immediately while it was on. The readout was the same misfire number five cylinder. Remember they just replaced #1,3 and 5 24 hrs ago. My vehicle was in the shop for 23 days for this problem. Come to find out there is a ā€œstarā€ case open on the situation with the rocker arms sticking. Whatā€™s funny as I read some of these posts, my vehicle was doing the same thing the whole time but I just thought it was normal. Other than the engine light coming on or the ā€œA!ā€ light coming on. I had loud ticking noises, starting up was rough sounding and while idling seemed a little shaky.
I love my jeep but itā€™s been in the shop for this one particular reason well over 30 days.

On a sidenote, has anybody heard or have a problem with the driver side pillar by the seatbelt and or the passenger side pillar by the seatbelt making loud noises when offloading? Almost like two things coming apart and coming back together, like a clicking/snapping noise.

I just want it fixed so I can move on and enjoy my jeep.
Can you lemon it? I would. This isn't normal at all. Changes are you got a bad motor from the get go.
Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
adding on to this thread. Mine isnā€™t very reliable at all. Blown head gaskets and warped cylinders at 61k miles ;1k miles out of PT factory warranty. Been at the dealership for over a month. Received no warning lights, error codes, nothing while cylinders warped. Never knew engine got baked until I FELT it idling rough. Looked down to see temp gauge needle rise above mid. Still no warning light.

coolant was escaping into the block and warped the heads. Only received the Auto Start/stopight AFTER the damage had been done, which is when I took the jeep in.

It took FCA 25 days to approve my engine replacement (only bc I had an EW) after it was at the dealership for a week. Itā€™s since been a week and 4 days since I received the news thatit was approved for repairs. 39 days without my jeepā€¦and still counting.

2018 Sport JLU automatic 3.6L V6 (I ordered it and it was built in June 2018)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
adding on to this thread. Mine isnā€™t very reliable at all. Blown head gaskets and warped cylinders at 61k miles ;1k miles out of PT factory warranty. Been at the dealership for over a month. Received no warning lights, error codes, nothing while cylinders warped. Never knew engine got baked until I FELT it idling rough. Looked down to see temp gauge needle rise above mid. Still no warning light.

coolant was escaping into the block and warped the heads. Only received the Auto Start/stopight AFTER the damage had been done, which is when I took the jeep in.

It took FCA 25 days to approve my engine replacement (only bc I had an EW) after it was at the dealership for a week. Itā€™s since been a week and 4 days since I received the news thatit was approved for repairs. 39 days without my jeepā€¦and still counting.

2018 Sport JLU automatic 3.6L V6 (I ordered it and it was built in June 2018)
Wow, sorry to hear you've been through such an ordeal!

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, sorry to hear you've been through such an ordeal!
Thanksā€¦itā€™s definitely been an ordeal. So much so, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to recommend the brand to anyone as I did before. Apparently, Iā€™m not the only one with this issue at this low mileage.

If you havenā€™t had probs with your motor, be especially glad! If you have low mileage and still within yourfactory warranty it wouldnā€™t be a bad idea to purchase an extended warranty.

If I hadnā€™t purchased mine when I got the jeep in 2018, Iā€™d have to shell out $10-$15k for an engine and labor!

Luckily, I also paid the jeep off early (3.5 yrs instead of my 6yr loan). Iā€™d be even more upset if I had to pay a monthly note while not having my vehicle.

FCA only covered a rental 8 days, so Iā€™ve had to drive my dadā€™s ā€˜05 Ram truck (320k miles on it) and my motorcycle to get around.šŸ˜ 

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thanksā€¦itā€™s definitely been an ordeal. So much so, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to recommend the brand to anyone as I did before. Apparently, Iā€™m not the only one with this issue at this low mileage.

If you havenā€™t had probs with your motor, be especially glad! If you have low mileage and still within yourfactory warranty it wouldnā€™t be a bad idea to purchase an extended warranty.

If I hadnā€™t purchased mine when I got the jeep in 2018, Iā€™d have to shell out $10-$15k for an engine and labor!

Luckily, I also paid the jeep off early (3.5 yrs instead of my 6yr loan). Iā€™d be even more upset if I had to pay a monthly note while not having my vehicle.

FCA only covered a rental 8 days, so Iā€™ve had to drive my dadā€™s ā€˜05 Ram truck (320k miles on it) and my motorcycle to get around.šŸ˜ 
Sounds like you had a coolant leak that went unchecked and localized overheating caused the coolant leak via cylinder head gasket. Heads donā€™t suddenly warp for no reason.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you had a coolant leak that went unchecked and localized overheating caused the coolant leak via cylinder head gasket. Heads donā€™t suddenly warp for no reason.
You are 100% Correct.

Had a coolant leak that went into the block (unnoticed somehow). The jeep was regularly serviced. I also had a faulty temperature sensor at 13k miles. Had it replaced. I believe the new one may have gone bad as well which would account for no warning lights to come on when coolant level was low, and which is also why no engine light or temperature light came on when the block overheated.

Even when I noticed the jeep idling rough, and saw the gauge slowly rise, there was no warning light. I shut it off as soon as I noticed.

There are others apparently with similar issues like mine and others without a coolant issue, where theyā€™ve experienced blown head gaskets and need a new engine. Iā€™m not sure what caused their engine to fail, but I suspect it was a faulty sensor/sensors on mine.

I also know that if it was caused by anything I did, thereā€™s no way FCA would approve the engine replacement with my $100 deductible. Iā€™m sure they checked all the maintenance logs in their system from the dealer and the ones I entered myself (when I had to replace both batteries myself), which may or may not have been under warranty.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I've got the lifetime Maxcare warranty with $200 deductible. Plus, I have a 2008 JK to fall back on, thankfully! It has a lifetime warranty, too, but that old 3.8 has only used it for a water pump at about 160,000 miles.

Hopefully you'll get it back and will never have an issue again.

I just hate that you had to go through all that and then wait forever. It wouldn't leave such a bad taste if they got right on it and got it done. When my JK's manual transmission was replaced, (It did not fail, but just rattled and popped out of gear now and then) they quickly determined they would replace it, ordered the new one, it came in about 2 days, then they installed it in two. They gave me a badass lifted JK for about 3 days. I had my Jeep back the same week, and they did the installation perfectly. I had them put a new clutch in it while they had it out, which saved about 1/2 of the labor cost. When they do the job that quickly and that well, you don't feel so badly about it. Of course, there were no supply chain issues back then, so there's that to deal with nowadays.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You are 100% Correct.

Had a coolant leak that went into the block (unnoticed somehow). The jeep was regularly serviced. I also had a faulty temperature sensor at 13k miles. Had it replaced. I believe the new one may have gone bad as well which would account for no warning lights to come on when coolant level was low, and which is also why no engine light or temperature light came on when the block overheated.

Even when I noticed the jeep idling rough, and saw the gauge slowly rise, there was no warning light. I shut it off as soon as I noticed.

There are others apparently with similar issues like mine and others without a coolant issue, where theyā€™ve experienced blown head gaskets and need a new engine. Iā€™m not sure what caused their engine to fail, but I suspect it was a faulty sensor/sensors on mine.

I also know that if it was caused by anything I did, thereā€™s no way FCA would approve the engine replacement with my $100 deductible. Iā€™m sure they checked all the maintenance logs in their system from the dealer and the ones I entered myself (when I had to replace both batteries myself), which may or may not have been under warranty.
It sounds a lot like the original run of the 3.6ā€™s on the JKā€™s, tons of bad cylinder heads in 2012/13. Iā€™ve seen a few GCā€™s with the same issue on the upgrade engine.

The coolant temp sensor is in a terrible location on the 3.6, it almost never detects an overheating condition due to coolant loss.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have the LS warranty.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds a lot like the original run of the 3.6ā€™s on the JKā€™s, tons of bad cylinder heads in 2012/13. Iā€™ve seen a few GCā€™s with the same issue on the upgrade engine.

The coolant temp sensor is in a terrible location on the 3.6, it almost never detects an overheating condition due to coolant loss.
I knew this HAD to be an issue.

I couldn't for the life me understand how the engine could get so hot and I wasn't notified. I spoke to a technician in Arizona and he told me that if you live in hot/humid areas that the sensors on the jeeps never do well in those areas. I think I'll have to get mine checked or inspected each year maybe? I just don't know how to avoid this situation again, other than to pop the hood and check my reservoir levels weekly.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the lifetime Maxcare warranty with $200 deductible. Plus, I have a 2008 JK to fall back on, thankfully! It has a lifetime warranty, too, but that old 3.8 has only used it for a water pump at about 160,000 miles.

Hopefully you'll get it back and will never have an issue again.

I just hate that you had to go through all that and then wait forever. It wouldn't leave such a bad taste if they got right on it and got it done. When my JK's manual transmission was replaced, (It did not fail, but just rattled and popped out of gear now and then) they quickly determined they would replace it, ordered the new one, it came in about 2 days, then they installed it in two. They gave me a badass lifted JK for about 3 days. I had my Jeep back the same week, and they did the installation perfectly. I had them put a new clutch in it while they had it out, which saved about 1/2 of the labor cost. When they do the job that quickly and that well, you don't feel so badly about it. Of course, there were no supply chain issues back then, so there's that to deal with nowadays.
Yasss! That seems like an awesome experience tbh.

I have the lifetime/unlimited mileage added care plus EW that they offered briefly in 2018, which comes with a $100 deductible. Iā€™m happy that I didnā€™t have to pay for a new block. That wouldā€™ve been horrible. I will say FCAā€™s customer care service is on point. Jeep Cares put me in contact with one of their Reps and theyā€™ve been on top of it. Calling to ask me about my experience and to see what my expectations wereā€¦it really helped. I felt like I was being heard. Theyā€™ve been in contact with the dealership as well. I must say that my dealership and my Customer Care Rep really make a difference.

YES, my patience is being tested, but to know someone is checking and communicating on my behalf means so much. I plan to write a letter to corporate about ways they need to improve their vehicles and their EW policies and to praise them for their customer care program. Maybe someone will read it and maybe not.

Either way, theyā€™re getting a letter.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yasss! That seems like an awesome experience tbh.

I have the lifetime/unlimited mileage added care plus EW that they offered briefly in 2018, which comes with a $100 deductible. Iā€™m happy that I didnā€™t have to pay for a new block. That wouldā€™ve been horrible. I will say FCAā€™s customer care service is on point. Jeep Cares put me in contact with one of their Reps and theyā€™ve been on top of it. Calling to ask me about my experience and to see what my expectations wereā€¦it really helped. I felt like I was being heard. Theyā€™ve been in contact with the dealership as well. I must say that my dealership and my Customer Care Rep really make a difference.

YES, my patience is being tested, but to know someone is checking and communicating on my behalf means so much. I plan to write a letter to corporate about ways they need to improve their vehicles and their EW policies and to praise them for their customer care program. Maybe someone will read it and maybe not.

Either way, theyā€™re getting a letter.
That letter will get more attention than 1000 surveys. You'll tell them so much with that. I am sure someone will pay attention. The issue will be if it can break through the bureaucracy of this large company. But it is good they are doing at least something right!
Sponsored