Sponsored

ESS - The data behind fuel consumption (really interesting video)

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I’m new to a car with a ESS. It was weird for about a day, now I don’t notice it and I appreciate saving some gas. Win for me.

I’m sure I waste a bit of gas with my soft top in Sunrider position so I’ll take any savings I can get to help offset it.

Way to go Jeep.
Sponsored

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
Not sure the starter is going through extra cycles because the transmission stores up the energy to cause the fly wheel to turn and turn the motor back over when you release your foot from the break. So to me it's turning back on differently than when you push the button to start it up for the first time.

otisroy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Such an annoying feature. If I was worried about fuel efficiency I wouldn't have bought a wrangler.
This.

Is there an electric pump that continues to keep the galleries full, pistons lubed and valve-train bathed in oil? I'm not convinced this is a good idea for long term engine wear. I'll let someone else be the guinea pig to incur thousands of extra start cycles on their engine. It's nice to know I've got a well engineered starter that will outlast the engine because I'm not going to use it for what it was designed for.

I'll look for gas card deals at Publix. Find the deal, buy $50 in groceries, add a $50 Wawa gift card for $40 and I just realized a 20% savings in fuel cost. The bonus is that I'm not swiping my personal card at a pump that some a**hat has installed a skimmer on.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Texas summer I want my AC

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I love how when it comes to ESS everyone is an automobile engineer.

I remember hearing all this same stuff when cars started going from carburetors to electronic fuel injection.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
This.

Is there an electric pump that continues to keep the galleries full, pistons lubed and valve-train bathed in oil? I'm not convinced this is a good idea for long term engine wear. I'll let someone else be the guinea pig to incur thousands of extra start cycles on their engine. It's nice to know I've got a well engineered starter that will outlast the engine because I'm not going to use it for what it was designed for.

I'll look for gas card deals at Publix. Find the deal, buy $50 in groceries, add a $50 Wawa gift card for $40 and I just realized a 20% savings in fuel cost. The bonus is that I'm not swiping my personal card at a pump that some a**hat has installed a skimmer on.
Wait... Why would you need an electric oil pump?

otisroy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Wait... Why would you need an electric oil pump?
To combat the wear associated with more start cycles. When your engine is running the oil is circulating through the galleries and spraying/bathing your journal bearings, cylinder walls, cam shaft, etc. in oil. When you stop, the oil stops moving and settles into your sump. Some commercial vehicles(I remember hearing that delivery trucks) and tractors have a supplemental pump that keeps that oil circulating to reduce startup wear.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
To combat the wear associated with more start cycles. When your engine is running the oil is circulating through the galleries and spraying/bathing your journal bearings, cylinder walls, cam shaft, etc. in oil. When you stop, the oil stops moving and settles into your sump. Some commercial vehicles(I remember hearing that delivery trucks) and tractors have a supplemental pump that keeps that oil circulating to reduce startup wear.
ESS is inactive until the engine is upwarmed up to normal operating temperature. I don't think some 30 second, 1 minute, or even 5 minute engine stoppage is going to drain the oil off of your engine parts to a detrimental point. Its not like it's preforming a cold start.

Don't forget that the tractors and delivery trucks you speak of are almost certainly diesels too.

otisroy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Don't forget that the tractors and delivery trucks you speak of are almost certainly diesels too.
Exactly! Diesels generally suffer abuse well. Hence, their use in commercial applications. If they thought enough to add re-circulation pumps to protect against wear in a diesel, I'm concerned they didn't include one in an extremely light duty motor that will now run through hundreds more restart cycles. I was really on the fence about buying the Wrangler with a gas motor. I'd have preferred a diesel and if they hit the market in the next couple years I'll be driving one.

I am convinced that ESS in its current form will disappear like automatic seatbelts.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Exactly! Diesels generally suffer abuse well. Hence, their use in commercial applications. If they thought enough to add re-circulation pumps to protect against wear in a diesel, I'm concerned they didn't include one in an extremely light duty motor that will now run through hundreds more restart cycles. I was really on the fence about buying the Wrangler with a gas motor. I'd have preferred a diesel and if they hit the market in the next couple years I'll be driving one.

I am convinced that ESS in its current form will disappear like automatic seatbelts.
Not exactly what I meant. Diesel engines run much dirtier the oil is dirtier and they usually have 1 1/2 to 2 times the oil capacity of a gasser. Since a diesel uses compression for combustion instead of ignition, a start up is harder on the components.

Secondly, ESS has been driven by the government forcing auto manufacturers to meet CAFE standards. But yes, ESS as it is now, probably won't remain, at least with FCS. The BSG system will be more efficient, seamless, and provide some performance gains.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
My daily driver is 7 years old, 100k+ miles, drives in city traffic every day, countless start/stop, and I've had 0 issues with it. I'm sure my Wrangler will be the same.

ZOMG start/stop iz zoooo baaaaadddddzzzzzzz ho-le-fuk.
Sponsored