Sponsored

How Do You Carry Extra Gas

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
After years of using plastic 2G RotoPAX fuel containers, I decided to move up to a Wavian (NATO) Jerry Can in Red, and their mount. Mounting the mount onto RockSlide Engineering’s spate tire mounting solution, using high grade nuts/bolts/washers. Will mount with water in it as a test in the coming days.
IMG_5420.jpeg
IMG_5421.jpeg
this Wavian can is the same NATO can I use but test out that stock spout before you rely on it for a trip. Lots of people have found it to be difficult to use, and lets the gas pour out where it's not supposed to. After trying it out, I carry and use their flexible spout which operates how a spout is supposed to.
Sponsored

swang

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Question for those with the Trailrax system on both sides of the Jeep…

When you don’t need to carry extra fuel, what do you do? My Jeep is my daily driver, so most of the time I won’t need the extra fuel.

Do people remove the Trailrax altogether? Or drive with empty Rotopax? Or leave the Trailrax mounted without the Rotopax?

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport

When you don’t need to carry extra fuel, what do you do? My Jeep is my daily driver, so most of the time I won’t need the extra fuel.

Do people remove the Trailrax altogether? Or drive with empty Rotopax? Or leave the Trailrax mounted without the Rotopax?
I had just the single side and for awhile I was leaving it on because every time I removed it I ended up scratching up my Jeep.

Then I took a long road trip and couldn't get the thing to stop banging around. Drove me insane. I removed it and the next road trip I decided to not put in on. I realized there are gas stations everywhere and as long as I kept filling up when I came across small towns I was fine.

I'm debating selling the whole setup and forgetting the idea of extra fuel.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I got the Front Runner dual can set up on my rack. Essentially just a tray and some tabs. Was secure the whole 1000 + mile trip to Maine and back this week.

Took the cans off and it’s just a low profile black tray you can barely see.

Sponsored

TrailRax

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I had just the single side and for awhile I was leaving it on because every time I removed it I ended up scratching up my Jeep.

Then I took a long road trip and couldn't get the thing to stop banging around. Drove me insane. I removed it and the next road trip I decided to not put in on. I realized there are gas stations everywhere and as long as I kept filling up when I came across small towns I was fine.

I'm debating selling the whole setup and forgetting the idea of extra fuel.
If your experiencing banging, periodically check the snugness of the bracket to the hard top!

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
If your experiencing banging, periodically check the snugness of the bracket to the hard top!
It’s actually the 2 gallon and 1.5 gallon packs that are the issue. I’ve tightened everything down, used foam on the packs…. still can’t get the packs to stop banging against the rack. I think a 4 gallon would have no issue. I know it seems to be working fine for most, I just can’t get it to work for my needs.

TEAMSLO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURD

I used to have rotopax diesel/water, shovel, king screw jack, and recovery boards. Since then, have gone to milwaukee packouts. Fuel and such will going back on with a different mounting solution, probably on the spare tire when on longer distance trips.

FB_IMG_1684895900073.jpg

20230510_174908 packout.jpg

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Packouts ROCK!!!

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Sponsored

swang

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I ordered and received a Rotopax 4-gallon fuel container for my Trailrax system. I wanted to use the yellow self-venting spout with it, but it won't fit (it's too long) because of the white tube in the neck of the Rotopax. Rotopax calls it a Flame Mitigation Device (FMD) and advises not to remove it.

Has anyone dealt with this, and what did you do?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Not sire of the nozzle is a CARB compliant design. They suck. Might look for a mon CARB compliant nozzle to replace it with.

swang

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

So this is what I’m doing for now. As my daily driver, I remove the Rotopax fuel cans and the spinning mounting “handles” and leave the Trailrax attached. I did buy some stainless bolts and washers to keep dirt out of the Rotopax mounts.

By the way, during the install I used neoprene padding where the Trailrax contacts the Jeep. Since the foam compresses and sticks, it made fitment a little tricky. Next time I’ll probably use the soft side of Velcro instead, as it would allow the arms to slide into place with less resistance.

Jeep Wrangler JL How Do You Carry Extra Gas IMG_3205

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So this is what I’m doing for now. As my daily driver, I remove the Rotopax fuel cans and the spinning mounting “handles” and leave the Trailrax attached. I did buy some stainless bolts and washers to keep dirt out of the Rotopax mounts.

By the way, during the install I used neoprene padding where the Trailrax contacts the Jeep. Since the foam compresses and sticks, it made fitment a little tricky. Next time I’ll probably use the soft side of Velcro instead, as it would allow the arms to slide into place with less resistance.

Jeep Wrangler JL How Do You Carry Extra Gas IMG_3205
Does it interfere with your rear vision?

swang

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Does not interfere with seeing traffic behind me. I can see the racks for sure, but I wouldn't say they interfere.

Now with the Rotopax mounted, then yes, there is a little interference.
Sponsored