Sponsored

How did you decide on your engine?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I LOVE inline 6's....So SMOOTH!!! That would be my engine of choice if available!!!
I agree, it would be my overwellming first choice. Inline-6 engines are inherently smooth. BMW makes some really good ones. That BMW engine in the Supra is silky, like buttttaaa!
Sponsored

Last edited:

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I'm not surprised. This little 2.0L does warm-up quickly and the electric radiator fan comes on quite a bit in the summer. I can understand why a lot of people would choose a 3.6L over the 2.0L, like you said - It's been around forever and it's proven.

That said, the 2.0L has to start somewhere :) I do believe that Jeep will slowly discontinue the 3.6L when the GME-T6 is finally ready. The new inline 6 Is largely based off of the GME-T4 2.0L and will produce a boat load of HP and TQ.
That would be my game planā€¦ letā€™s let the masses proof test this sucker. We will not waste $$$$ money on bench testing. Let the consumer foot the bill.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Side effects include headache, runny nose, dry mouth, and excessive mockery. Check with your Doctor to see if Stellantis is right for you!
WTF was the marketing team thinking of, naming a car company Stellantis?

Side effects of FCA was sh*tty customer service and QC. Hopefully Stellantis is better.

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I agree, it would be my overwellming first choice. Inline-6 engines are inherently smooth. BMW makes some really god ones. That BMW engine in the Supra is silky, like buttttaaa!
Thats a nice engineā€¦ why toyota said ā€˜we can put our badge on it, our rep wont get hit too badā€™

i actually almost bought a supraā€¦ but the car itself is not a daily. Its annoyingly race-y and cramped. A true track car for sh!ts and giggles.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats a nice engineā€¦ why toyota said ā€˜we can put our badge on it, our rep wont get hit too badā€™

i actually almost bought a supraā€¦ but the car itself is not a daily. Its annoyingly race-y and cramped. A true track car for sh!ts and giggles.
The Supra is a really fun driving car. Super smooth power delivery. Perfectly mated to the 8-speed ZF. A lot of bang for the buck. unfortunately not without flaws though. I was going to buy a '21 3.0 Supra also but changed my mind at the last second after reports of excessive oil consumption started to surface. Crazy stuff like a quart of oil in 400-500 miles for some engines. I still want one and will reconsider once BMW figures out the oil issue and what is wrong.

ZF really hit it out of the park with the Supra's 8-speed. I think BMW is using it in some M-Cars now? I think it is also the same basic ZF 8-Speed that is in the JL. The JL's ZF 8-Speed is probably the reason why both the 2.0 and 3.6 feel and drive so good. It compleately transformed how the 3.6 drives. The 3.6 JL is HUGE improvement over the 3.6 JK.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
3) When jeep explained why the 2.0 was not stout enough for the gladiator
When was that? Do you have a link?

4) at that time I was not going to pay extra to be a guinea pig for jeeps new motor.
"Jeep will not offer its 2.0-liter I4 turbo engine in the Gladiator, The Drive reports. A Fiat Chrysler spokesperson told The Drive that "the 3.6-liter [V6] engine can handle the temperatures seen while towing," intimating that the Wrangler's four-pot might not be able to tow and haul with the best of 'em."
Google tells me that quote is from CNET, but the original The Drive article states ""The 3.6-liter engine can handle the temperatures seen while towing," they said. While no knocks were mentioned against the smaller four-cylinder, it's easy to conclude that it simply wasn't created for the hauling capacity Jeep expects from the Gladiator." Looks to me like The Drive came to an "easy conclusion" without actually getting a real answer from Jeep (or maybe not even asking), and CNET put their own spin on it. What they've quoted from Jeep was a statement boasting the 3.6's ability, not knocking the 2.0.

My guess is that Jeep couldn't design a cooling package that could keep up with the 2.0's heat generation, whereas the lower torque output of the 3.6 results in less heat to dissipate. Sort of like my guess of why the 2.0 isn't available as a manual (because it's above the torque rating of the Aisin AL6/D478, and they didn't have another solution). We already know that the Gladiator's grill inserts had to be enlarged, and the cooling fan is the higher wattage unit that's used in the 2.0 JLs... so clearly the JT has some heat related issues when towing. It will be interesting to see what they modify to get the 392 in the JT... I bet it's towing capacity will be less than the 3.6.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When was that? Do you have a link?

Google tells me that quote is from CNET, but the original The Drive article states ""The 3.6-liter engine can handle the temperatures seen while towing," they said. While no knocks were mentioned against the smaller four-cylinder, it's easy to conclude that it simply wasn't created for the hauling capacity Jeep expects from the Gladiator." Looks to me like The Drive came to an "easy conclusion" without actually getting a real answer from Jeep (or maybe not even asking), and CNET put their own spin on it. What they've quoted from Jeep was a statement boasting the 3.6's ability, not knocking the 2.0.

My guess is that Jeep couldn't design a cooling package that could keep up with the 2.0's heat generation, whereas the lower torque output of the 3.6 results in less heat to dissipate. Sort of like my guess of why the 2.0 isn't available as a manual (because it's above the torque rating of the Aisin AL6/D478, and they didn't have another solution). We already know that the Gladiator's grill inserts had to be enlarged, and the cooling fan is the higher wattage unit that's used in the 2.0 JLs... so clearly the JT has some heat related issues when towing. It will be interesting to see what they modify to get the 392 in the JT... I bet it's towing capacity will be less than the 3.6.
I think tow ratings have specific thermo capacity specifications. There were a few articles about the Gladiator's increased need for more thermo capacity if they wanted to rate it at where it is. Jeep went to great measures to get what they could as far as tow capacity. The thermo capacity was limited by the front size and shape of the Wrangler.

Here is a article.
https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Side effects include headache, runny nose, dry mouth, and excessive mockery. Check with your Doctor to see if Stellantis is right for you!
If your doctor says "yes," FIRE him... šŸ„“

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know the 3.6 has been around since the Triassic Period and has a good track record as being reliable. How long has the turbo 4 been around? Is there a general consensus on its reliability? Can I expect 120,000 miles out of it without much maintenance fuss? Any known major maintenance work I need to known about?
The 2.0 is definitely newer so not as long a track record yet. Only warranty claims records would be accurate. A casual indicator might be looking up used vehicles that use the 2.0 for sale. Take a look at how high the mileage is on some? That won't be a accurate indicator but you can get an idea if the engine gets up there in mileage. Or call a few FCA service departments and ask the service guys and techs for their opinions. I have done that before but some techs favor engines that are easier to work on irregardless of which one is more or less problematic.

Its not like the 3.6 has not had it's fair share of engine problems before. It had head issues, bad valve seats, some ate rocker arms, overheating issues due to defective head casting. Sand from the casting process plugged up coolant journals. There were some other issues. Issues were resolved over the years.

It's very rare a actual engine, long block, fails. Usually its the peripherals attached to the engine. Stuff like sensors and water pumps. Obviously someone can ruin a long block if they ignore the symptoms of a bad water pump. Oil and filter technology is improved. Modern robotic engine assembly is more consistent. Tolerances are tighter and more consistent. Overall QC is better. Any modern engine should easily run to 150K-200K+ miles with regular oil changes and proper maintenance.

Last edited:

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I LOVE inline 6's....So SMOOTH!!! That would be my engine of choice if available!!!
If/when it does come in a Wrangler (or maybe a Gladiator), there's a good chance I'll buy one. I like inline 6s.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If/when it does come in a Wrangler (or maybe a Gladiator), there's a good chance I'll buy one. I like inline 6s.
I have nothing real to back this up with but I think we will see all electric before the inline-6? I hope I am wrong.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I saw some articles about them testing in a Grand Cherokee. IMO it would be a perfect fit in the Wrangler. I love the low end torque that I6s provide.

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
My jlu with the 2.0 is actually my 3rd 2.0 turbo vehicle I have owned. Gti, focus st, and the jlu. I know what these motors are capable of. If you know how to maintain a turbo motor you will have no issues. On 91 it makes great power on 35s towing out loaded 3500lb max trailer I donā€™t feel anything and still get rather great mileage

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Owning a previous pentastar with oil pump and filter problems put that to pasture and with the diesel being too expensive it left me with the turbo option. Drove one for a week in CO. and loved it. Ordered a 2021 and picked it up in Nov. 2020. 11500 miles now and no regrets. Consistent 24 mpg city or hiway.

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My jlu with the 2.0 is actually my 3rd 2.0 turbo vehicle I have owned. Gti, focus st, and the jlu. I know what these motors are capable of. If you know how to maintain a turbo motor you will have no issues. On 91 it makes great power on 35s towing out loaded 3500lb max trailer I donā€™t feel anything and still get rather great mileage
Anything specific you do for maintaining them?
Sponsored