Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I've gone deep enough to have a layer of mud deposited on the top side to the skid plates and inside of the bumpers with no issue. That's with the factory 255/70R18 ATs
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
A few weekends ago, I plowed through some fairly deep water, as you can see. Upon opening the hood after, it was evident that water got on everything - except inside the air intake. I have an unlifted 2018 Sport, on 33s. Zero issues during and after playing in the water, all electronics are solid. Hope this helps.

1113B3D1-2A54-40DE-83D3-D1B8CA56A180.jpeg

0E0E52C3-52EF-403F-B76F-26917B1099ED.jpeg
Similar experience with mine. I still have some spatters on the underside of the hood, lol.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I went approximately 33 inches on my JK since it cleared the 32 inch tires. That was fun but not recommended. I would've been F'd if there was any dropoffs.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. If you guys think any modern Vehicle can act as a submarine you're in for a surprise. Jeeps stopped being good water forging vehicles about 3 decades ago LOL. Theres just too much crap electronics on them.
Knock on wood, so far that has not been my experience. I have had water through the grill and above the hood. I had zero failure in any system.

barongan

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cherokee
30"s is what Jeep says. Any higher than that I hope you have great car insurance or some really good friends at a dealership to warranty it.

I'm not saying you can't go deeper, but you can flood your starter, axles (even though the diff breather is higher in the JL than the JK) and possible a few other things like water in the intake which will cause you to hydrolock.

Just be careful what you do and how deep you go and a snorkel is not the end all be all of protection either. Ive gone pretty deep in many of my jeeps and as long as I've stayed below the intake I've been good. But it's a risk regardless.
Nice
Jeep Wrangler JL How deep have you gone? {filename}

Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
I can certainly understand offroading and going way off the beaten trail and rock climbing but this I don't understand. The downside is so steep I'm baffled why someone would want to intentionally do it.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Go just fast enough to match the speed of the bow wave to keep water out of the engine compartment. I've taken my 4Runner up to my headlights and would be willing to go up to the bottom of the headlights in the Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL How deep have you gone? {filename}

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
I have forded some pretty decent water depths in the past but its alway a little hard to judge the depth till I am out in it, going slow and steady is important, so many want to rush into water and it effectively makes the water deeper in some regards. pulled a couple of buddies a long ways back to pavement that rushed through rivers

WyoTex

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi x 2, 2009 JKU Rubi and 1981 CJ7 Rubiwannabe
I have forded some pretty decent water depths in the past but its alway a little hard to judge the depth till I am out in it, going slow and steady is important, so many want to rush into water and it effectively makes the water deeper in some regards. pulled a couple of buddies a long ways back to pavement that rushed through rivers

Sponsored

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I can certainly understand offroading and going way off the beaten trail and rock climbing but this I don't understand. The downside is so steep I'm baffled why someone would want to intentionally do it.
So you are fine with intentionally going over rocks and possibly tipping over and/or hitting rocks that could dent your Jeep and break parts, but not with water fording? That I don't understand.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
A road on my way to work flooded big time. I drove through it just fine and not in video is me driving through a neighborhood where water was above my bottom door jam. I turned around because I didnt want to chance it.
wow, this is better than watching a Hitchcock thriller

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Enough said.
So you are fine with intentionally going over rocks and possibly tipping over and/or hitting rocks that could dent your Jeep and break parts, but not with water fording? That I don't understand.
You're comparing a possible dent, a paint scrape or an easily replaceable broken part to possibly flooding your motor, tranny and all the modern electronics. Makes sense.
Sponsored