First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport
Occupation
Crime scene remediation field supervisor
Hey people... I was wondering what is the max safe water depth a stock sport/sahara can drive through without stalling out. I dont have a lift yet, but I have the 33 rubi tires on. How deep have any of you gone?
Sponsored

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
30"s is what Jeep says. Any higher than that I hope you have great car insurance or some really good friends at a dealership to warranty it.

I'm not saying you can't go deeper, but you can flood your starter, axles (even though the diff breather is higher in the JL than the JK) and possible a few other things like water in the intake which will cause you to hydrolock.

Just be careful what you do and how deep you go and a snorkel is not the end all be all of protection either. Ive gone pretty deep in many of my jeeps and as long as I've stayed below the intake I've been good. But it's a risk regardless.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hey people... I was wondering what is the max safe water depth a stock sport/sahara can drive through without stalling out. I dont have a lift yet, but I have the 33 rubi tires on. How deep have any of you gone?
Stalling out isn't the problem. It's all the breathers for your axles/transmission/transfer case as well as all the electronics.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
A road on my way to work flooded big time. I drove through it just fine and not in video is me driving through a neighborhood where water was above my bottom door jam. I turned around because I didnt want to chance it.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
With a snorkel and raised breathers you can go very deep. W/o them, I wouldn't go over the recommended 30".
What about all the computers? What do you consider "very deep"? There's much more to it than just raising breathers and adding a snorkel. You're gonna have a bad time submarining in a rolling computer.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
What about all the computers? What do you consider "very deep"? There's much more to it than just raising breathers and adding a snorkel. You're gonna have a bad time submarining in a rolling computer.
Not with the JL 'cause I don't have a snorkel yet, but have played in the water with my JKs:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
A few weekends ago, I plowed through some fairly deep water, as you can see. Upon opening the hood after, it was evident that water got on everything - except inside the air intake. I have an unlifted 2018 Sport, on 33s. Zero issues during and after playing in the water, all electronics are solid. Hope this helps.

1113B3D1-2A54-40DE-83D3-D1B8CA56A180.jpeg

0E0E52C3-52EF-403F-B76F-26917B1099ED.jpeg

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
I rolled into a old creek bed after a big rain a few years ago. Obviously not in a jl. Thought it would be fine.
Water rolled over top of hood for like 2 seconds .
It fried all the electronics. All sorts of things I never considered.
It was never right again. Traded it after about 6 months and alot of regret.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A few weekends ago, I plowed through some fairly deep water, as you can see. Upon opening the hood after, it was evident that water got on everything - except inside the air intake. I have an unlifted 2018 Sport, on 33s. Zero issues during and after playing in the water, all electronics are solid. Hope this helps.

1113B3D1-2A54-40DE-83D3-D1B8CA56A180.jpeg

0E0E52C3-52EF-403F-B76F-26917B1099ED.jpeg
That is awesome. You have much bigger gonads than me my friend. How well are the door jams seals. Any water in the cabin?

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I rolled into a old creek bed after a big rain a few years ago. Obviously not in a jl. Thought it would be fine.
Water rolled over top of hood for like 2 seconds .
It fried all the electronics. All sorts of things I never considered.
It was never right again. Traded it after about 6 months and alot of regret.
:crying::brokenhearted:

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not with the JL 'cause I don't have a snorkel yet, but have played in the water with my JKs:

Man since when has jeep made a Hovercraft? That is some deep water. I would have my pants!

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
That is awesome. You have much bigger gonads than me my friend. How well are the door jams seals. Any water in the cabin?
No water in the cabin at all, gonads were safely sucked way up into my body. ;) My Jeep is still under warranty. If anything fails, I will have my Jeep thoroughly cleaned and delivered to the dealership. Jeeps are engineered and built to ford 30” of water, with no incursion into the cabin and no failure of systems. If something fails while using the Jeep within engineered parameters, it’s on FCA to fix it.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Exactly. If you guys think any modern Vehicle can act as a submarine you're in for a surprise. Jeeps stopped being good water forging vehicles about 3 decades ago LOL. Theres just too much crap electronics on them.
Sponsored