OP

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4 door
That's what the JK guys around here do, 4L high RPM's, those JK auto's overheat like crazy here in the desert.
Yeah sorry for confusion I am saying I am not running around with the lockers on the whole time when I dont need them but I have also had it get super hot when running in 4L down a trail.

OP
OP

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you happen to hit anything underneath your JEEP while off reading?
Ha yes of course but nothing that would have affected cooling. I put a wonderful dent in the B Pillar. I just put a mall crawler sticker over it to cover it up ;)

OP
OP

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Totally agree and think there is an issue, unfortunately my dealership literally told me to just pull over if it over heats and this is normal although they called chrysler and were able to reproduce this as an issue

Sponsored

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Ha yes of course but nothing that would have affected cooling. I put a wonderful dent in the B Pillar. I just put a mall crawler sticker over it to cover it up ;)
I just asked because if you hit anything doing with the transmission under there you may have a leak or something worse.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I'd check the transmission cooling lines under the jeep very closely, they are very exposed without skids and one little crease is all it takes. And find another dealership, the one you are using is shit.
Agree on this. Also if you can drive it as little as possible do so. You would not want to rebuild your transmission or buy a new one.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Rule of thumb is 200 +/- and the Mrs. typically hangs out anywhere from 195 to 205 and I have seen it go as high as 220 wheeling especially at altitude. But 250 on a regular basis... no way, you have every right to be concerned about that. It's almost as if one of the cooler lines is blocked internally.
Side note, she just turned over 60k miles so I am having the tranny serviced Monday. Will be posting a thread about that.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@5ABI - Thanks for tagging us!

@thrasher - As the Customer Care Team, we are not mechanically trained and therefore we rely on the diagnosis of the dealer. We can certainly have a case escalated for additional support while you are in service. Would you consider visiting a different dealer for a second opinion?

Darlene
Jeep Cares

OP
OP

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@5ABI - Thanks for tagging us!

@thrasher - As the Customer Care Team, we are not mechanically trained and therefore we rely on the diagnosis of the dealer. We can certainly have a case escalated for additional support while you are in service. Would you consider visiting a different dealer for a second opinion?

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Yep absolutely! Doing some more digging under as well to ensure I have more information and will take to a new dealer. Thank you for reaching out!

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Yep absolutely! Doing some more digging under as well to ensure I have more information and will take to a new dealer. Thank you for reaching out!
Waiting to see how this turns out for you. I took mine to the dealership today and they said it was normal, even though I know my temps are high. If I start the Jeep and just let it idle, the trans temp will sit around 203. If I drive for 30 minutes or so, it will be between 212 to 224. If I tow my jetski trailer it will hit 237. Dealer blamed my 35" tires, but that really doesn't explain the 203 trans temp at idle.

The annoying this is the cooling fan hits max jet-engine speed somewhere between 212 to 224, and once the fan hits that speed it will not shut off, even if the temp drops back below 200, you have to restart the engine to make the fan stop. It's pretty loud and honestly embarrassing to pull into a parking lot with a Jeep that sounds like it's about to explode.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hot Transmission 20200818_150151

OP
OP

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting to see how this turns out for you. I took mine to the dealership today and they said it was normal, even though I know my temps are high. If I start the Jeep and just let it idle, the trans temp will sit around 203. If I drive for 30 minutes or so, it will be between 212 to 224. If I tow my jetski trailer it will hit 237. Dealer blamed my 35" tires, but that really doesn't explain the 203 trans temp at idle.

The annoying this is the cooling fan hits max jet-engine speed somewhere between 212 to 224, and once the fan hits that speed it will not shut off, even if the temp drops back below 200, you have to restart the engine to make the fan stop. It's pretty loud and honestly embarrassing to pull into a parking lot with a Jeep that sounds like it's about to explode.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hot Transmission 20200818_150151

Dealer and Chrysler have now said that its hot and reproducible but just to pull over and let it cool down. A guy I jeep with have an exact same 2018 rubicon JL with 37s and his does not get this hot. Maybe its his white hood vs my black hood lol
Sponsored