coldstart

coldstart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps are shit. Like their owners.
Occupation
Space Cadet
The wheel locks do not go through the frame so a determined thief could remove the wheels from the bike and takejust the frame.

As with most locks they are mostly a deterrent for opportunists, I use them when I'm not going to be leaving my bike on the rack unattended for a long duration like a quick pit stop at the store while headed to the trailhead. When my bike is unattended for longer periods or if i am in an area with a high theft rate, then I supplement with a chain through the frame and locked to the hitch under the bumper.
Good Idea. I think I'll get a set for quick stops if needed and for road trips a cable/chain system.

I get funny looks when I wheel my mountain bike to the lobby of a Marriott. :)
Sponsored

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Good Idea. I think I'll get a set for quick stops if needed and for road trips a cable/chain system.

I get funny looks when I wheel my mountain bike to the lobby of a Marriott. :)
Just wait until you wheel your doors through the lobby on a luggage cart.

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
I’ve started looking into this as well. I got a family of four so feel like I need a four bike option. I hear people say the tray style are nicer than the ones where they hang on the frames but my issue is the 4 bike tray style stick out so dang far. I am considering these two options right now:

1) Thule Apex XT Swing 4
Thule Apex XT Swing 4 | Thule | USA

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1A6DAB07-6920-4A7D-BBB7-D95ACADE1529

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1A6DAB07-6920-4A7D-BBB7-D95ACADE1529

2) Yakima FullSwing
FullSwing – Yakima

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1610902589135

A third one I thought about was the Lolo rack but it would not have the swing away feature. It does have a tilt feature though. It's more expensive and might require a hitch extender (I feel like another member put this on their jeep. I'll try to tag them @01tj to verify. . I've also wondered if I could pair the Lolo rack with a swing out hitch from another company or if that might have too much tension on the swing out hitch since it's a vertical bike rack.

Lolo Racks The best vertical 6 bike rack!

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1610902837086

Would maybe pair this rack with one of the following:

Pivot v2 Hitch Rack | KĂĽat Racks | Bike Racks (kuatracks.com)
Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1610902883635

or

RakAttach – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE (1up-usa.com)

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1610902961506

edit* Per the Lolo rack website, you need approximately 12” of clearance from the hitch pin hole for the rack to be set in it’s fully upright position. I think my 4.5” backspacing wheel is just a tad too large and would interfere without any type of extension. The swing extension would probably fix that but then again, not sure the Lolo rack is meant to handle being swung out like that under full load.

Edit 2: I spoke with the folks at LoloRacks and you can custom order a receiver tube that is 4" longer and will clear stock tires and in my particular case (since I asked) it would clear my 315/70/17 Toyo Open County RTs. They don't recommend putting this rack on a swing extension but it can be lowered down to the ground for tailgate access.

Last edited:

SGTZn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 F250 Platinum
You order it with the reversed plates from the factory. I had already purchased my rack when I found out about the plates. I bought them from 1up and installed them myself.

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
A third one I thought about was the Lolo rack but it would not have the swing away feature. It does have a tilt feature though. It's more expensive and might require a hitch extender (I feel like another member put this on their jeep. I'll try to tag them @01tj to verify. . I've also wondered if I could pair the Lolo rack with a swing out hitch from another company or if that might have too much tension on the swing out hitch since it's a vertical bike rack.

edit* Per the Lolo rack website, you need approximately 12” of clearance from the hitch pin hole for the rack to be set in it’s fully upright position. I think my 4.5” backspacing wheel is just a tad too large and would interfere without any type of extension. The swing extension would probably fix that but then again, not sure the Lolo rack is meant to handle being swung out like that under full load.
Lolo suggests not using an extender but they will make it to fit your Jeep to some degree. When you order it will ask if you have a rear mount spare tire and they will send you the correct length to fit your Jeep. There are also a few different settings in the bracket that adjust the angle of the vertical tube so its somewhat customizeable.

My pros and cons

Pros,

The rack is really heavy duty, I think I could do pull ups on it

You can configure the rack to fit up to 6 bikes

It fits pretty much any type of bike

Its pretty quick and easy to load

It tilts so that the bikes will be sitting on the ground

Even loaded with 4, 5 or 6 bikes they don't stick out really far like most platform racks.

To me it just looks better having the bikes mounted vertical

Cons,

Its heavy, I can't imagine my wife you kids being able to use the tilt function when loaded or even really being able to install the rack on my Jeep.

It's kind of expensive but I guess you get what you pay for.

I don't like the way the brake lever on my Specialized with hydraulic brakes sits in the bracket but I plan on fabricating something to fix that this summer.

You can hear it when driving down the road. This is probably true with every rack but it's more noticibale in my soft top Wrangler. I did talk to someone who has a hard top that said he can't hear it in his Jeep.

ohc-afia-rcts4iax_imnmu-_nc_ht-scontent-iad3-1-jpg.jpg

img_20200906_175647980-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

MOTC JL

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I bought a 1UP USA 2 bike rack, they’re top quality but pricey. Order it from them directly and ask for reversed side plate. It’s not a catalogued item. I found out about the side plates after I bought the rack and installed them afterwards. No extension needed and you can fully open rear after you lower rack into loading position. Now I bought it for my sons JK w/33” tires, so not sure if your planning on larger tires, then you might need an extension.
I agree, hands down best bike rack.

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
I’ve used an inexpensive Allen Premier Locking 4-bike for spare tire for the last year with no problems. It installs in the hitch receiver, it’s sturdy and folds out of the way for full tailgate clearance. It is only $259 on Amazon. Just made the drive from Omaha, NE to Scottsdale with 3 bikes...very stable, zero problems.

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
I’ve used an inexpensive Allen Premier Locking 4-bike for spare tire for the last year with no problems. It installs in the hitch receiver, it’s sturdy and folds out of the way for full tailgate clearance. It is only $259 on Amazon. Just made the drive from Omaha, NE to Scottsdale with 3 bikes...very stable, zero problems.
Are you referring to this one? Model S645? Interestingly, Amazon's "vehicle fit" tool says it doesn't fit my 2020 Jeep Wrangler but I know it's not the most precise tool. Looks good for the price. Do you have a link for the exact one you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C45IBC...wVehicle=1&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

tonyp913

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rivian R1S
I went "all Yakima" because you can buy a set of matching lock cores, all keyed the same, to help secure your stuff. So I use the Backswing, the Ridgeback, and the HitchSki (for the winter), and plan to add the HandCuff security cable when (if?!) it comes available, all secured with the same key.

I didn't need a hitch extender at all for that set up, running the JLURR with the stock 33" KO2 spare.

If you're not worried about having multiple keys, the Allen Sports Premier Carrier "with Spare Tire" is made specifically for vehicles with an external spare. I bought it but returned it for the convenience of the Yakima system, but was impressed by the quality, particularly for the price.

Good luck!

Sponsored

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
I made this one and have the patent on it. It holds 4 bikes using a rubber compression bushing inside the seat tube. Just pull the seat out using the post clamp, the pick the bike up vertically and slide the bike on the rack ( into the bike frame). Turn the handle on the rack and the cam lock. The bicycle isn’t going anywhere. I have used this one for 5 years with no problems. This rack is not for bikes That are carbon fiber, which can’t handle the tension load inside or a dropper post that doesn’t remove easy.

I was working towards marketing these a few years ago then we moved and haven’t picked it back up. I would like to hear y’al’s opinions. Should I keep trying to market this?
Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? 1610997774532
Frankly I wouldn't have bought this one as re-setting seat height exactly, or removing/reinstalling the emergency repair kit pouch under the seat, are not things I would want to have to do.

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
I also have a Kuat Sherpa rack. Absolutely love it. Have owned Thule and Yakima racks through the years, and this one is my favorite. I did not buy the Kuat Pivot, which allows it swing away, but I did buy a hitch extension from them. Because of the rear tire, you'll need some sort of extension for just about all hitch racks.

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I need to read the entire thread because i'm in the market for a new rack. I have a yakima fourtimer and the spare sticks out far enough to impede on the bike in the first slot. that was when I had 33s but now have moved to 35s so I can only carry 3 bikes now without the extension. OEM hitch.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Frankly I wouldn't have bought this one as re-setting seat height exactly, or removing/reinstalling the emergency repair kit pouch under the seat, are not things I would want to have to do.
No Problem. I know it isn't for everyone. Heck, If I don't work to take it to market then it isn't for anyone but me. BTW resetting the seat height is easy, I have the reflector set at that height. The pouch...I have no idea.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to consider is the type of bike you want to carry and the type of rack - hanging a $10k carbon road bike from the top tube and driving on dirt roads will not be good for your bike. The racks that are 'tray' type that both tires are supported are best for high end frames and/or long trips on dirt roads. I have a Thule T2 Pro XT and it is strong.
Sponsored