Sponsored

Hinge corrosion - affects certain colors?

If you are experiencing hinge corrosion, what color is your Jeep?

• Total voters

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
So you did yours as a strictly proactive measure? This is what I’m wondering. I’ve held off ordering a new Jeep because of this issue.
Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not sure if you can go by color. The white seem to have it as much as the metallics.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
So you did yours as a strictly proactive measure? This is what I’m wondering. I’ve held off ordering a new Jeep because of this issue.
Sort of. On my JK, I did the same thing but did it myself with spray on bedliner because the hinges get beat to shit by rocks, even on stock jeeps. Once I put the 35s on, it was like a day before one hinge got hammered. So I yanked them and brought them for colour match to LineX.
Honestly. There really aren't many jeeps getting it. A forum is never a good indication of a vehicles reliability. Don't let this issue stop you from getting and enjoying a new jeep.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was all set to order an XR. Mine is a manual and after the whole clutch thing, I figured I'd trade it for an auto, but paused when I heard about the corrosion issue. But if I can do this IF it happens, then I'll be ok. Heck, even if I can spray it myself and treat the hinges on both sides then I'll be fine.
I am not too happy to read about people having their hoods and doors corrode though. Geez.

Mine only the hinges are bubbling a little. But it just gets me that spending all this money and having to worry about it. But i don't like any other vehicle that i've looked at.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
There really aren't many jeeps getting it. A forum is never a good indication of a vehicles reliability. Don't let this issue stop you from getting and enjoying a new jeep.
I beg to differ. While I agree with not letting the issue preventing you from enjoying your Jeep, ther are a great many of Jeeps suffering from this issue. My local dealer has 2 body shop techs dedicated to Wrangler corrosion repair. It takes them 7-10 days to complete the warranty work on one JL. They get an average of 6-8 JL's completed per month. At their current rate, ours won't get into the shop until sometime this winter. All the other dealers within driving distance to me have the same backlog.

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I beg to differ. While I agree with not letting the issue preventing you from enjoying your Jeep, ther are a great many of Jeeps suffering from this issue. My local dealer has 2 body shop techs dedicated to Wrangler corrosion repair. It takes them 7-10 days to complete the warranty work on one JL. They get an average of 6-8 JL's completed per month. At their current rate, ours won't get into the shop until sometime this winter. All the other dealers within driving distance to me have the same backlog.
One local dealer told me they couldn't get me in til spring. Heck my 5 year warranty will nearly be over by that point.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I understand your frustration but we haven't seen numbers at all. Not that I don't believe you but literally everything is conjecture right now. What's the total number of JLs produced? How many actually have the bubbling issue? Even if it is 5% of them, that's still not "a lot" in the grand scheme of things.

Notwithstanding, warranty is a thing. Granted even people who have had them redone have seen it again. That couldmalso be blamed on shitty prep or workmanship as well because there are other that haven't seen it again.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
One local dealer told me they couldn't get me in til spring. Heck my 5 year warranty will nearly be over by that point.
No issue there as long as you have it documented.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT
Likely moisture barrier and friction isolator; doors on hinges move and twist with frame and when opening/closing.

they likely reason that any moisture on the hood will be evaporated/dried out faster with airflow and engine heat.

dem engineers looks for the simple solution. I bet theyre using an anaerobic compound on the threads now.

hats off to jeep for quietly slipping a design solution…. ‘Let’s see if this works’
I see you're in Fairfax. I'm in DC. Which dealer do you use for warranty issues/service? I ordered from Koons, but have bought from Farrish in the past (used to live by Gov't Center). Appreciate your thoughts.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the way my search for a new vehicle is going I may very well just bite the billet. Everything is so mom bus right now lol. So not my thing. Even when I was driving around kids, I refused to get the mom bus.

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sort of. On my JK, I did the same thing but did it myself with spray on bedliner because the hinges get beat to shit by rocks, even on stock jeeps. Once I put the 35s on, it was like a day before one hinge got hammered. So I yanked them and brought them for colour match to LineX.
Honestly. There really aren't many jeeps getting it. A forum is never a good indication of a vehicles reliability. Don't let this issue stop you from getting and enjoying a new jeep.
How did you keep your doors on while the hinges off?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would imagine getting everything lined up again is too much for me. I’d have to find someone who can do it.

CRZYCDN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL XR Unlimited
My 2018 Ocean Blue had this issue on all door/tail gate hinges, and now I see it on the windshield hinges.

They ended up replacing/repainting them, been almost a year...so far so good. Fingers crossed!

HushJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Also it looks like newer ones they are painting the door and hinges seperately. Some members have seen a type of gasket or at the absolute least, a gap where the old ones didn't have a gap between door and hinges.
I won't be convinced there's a gasket installed from the factory until someone separates the hinge from door and proves it.
Sponsored