Sponsored

Hinge corrosion - affects certain colors?

If you are experiencing hinge corrosion, what color is your Jeep?

• Total voters

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Interesting, if that's the case, why even add the gasket if it's just aluminum on aluminum?!
I've been wondering the same thing. I've also wondered if anyone has actually removed a hinge to check a "said" gasket.
Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
It's really easy to tell if you have the gasket. There is zero gap between hinge and door without gasket. With gasket, you can see the gap.
Looks like I have the gasket. There's definitely a gap and it looks like a think black pad that you can barley see. Unless that's dirt build up. Lol.

The question is did they solve the problem on the rest of the vehicle as well? I've seen the corrosion on the front window frame and hood for example already?

20220822_190031.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
So then It is continuing! they seem to have tried to address the hinges but nothing else! New territory for them I guess, maybe they should have a discussion with Audi's reps to find out and implement a better way(not that they will) much like the electronics....seems they are out of their league on these issues. Not enough research and development to understand future issues over at least a five year ownership! Hell even three years. Yet Some car companies have this all sewn up! I know they all have their Achilles heel but paint and clutches and electrical issues ...pick one at least and put it to bed..Do the work!

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
Looks like I have the gasket. There's definitely a gap and it looks like a think black pad that you can barley see. Unless that's dirt build up. Lol.

The question is did they solve the problem on the rest of the vehicle as well? I've seen the corrosion on the front window frame and hood for example already?

20220822_190031.jpg
My '21 appears to have a gasket. One person commented last time I posted it that it just looks like an unpainted seam but there certainly looks to me like there is something between the hinge and the door
Resized_20220501_210942.jpeg

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
My '21 appears to have a gasket. One person commented last time I posted it that it just looks like an unpainted seam but there certainly looks to me like there is something between the hinge and the door
Resized_20220501_210942.jpeg
Hard to tell by your picture. It looks like a gasket but then if I look hard enough from my end it also looks like unfinished paint. Can't tell.

Is there a gap when looking at it in person?

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
Hard to tell by your picture. It looks like a gasket but then if I look hard enough from my end it also looks like unfinished paint. Can't tell.

Is there a gap when looking at it in person?
Looks just like yours

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Billet Silver here.
I plasti-dipped the shit out of all my hinges early on in 2018. Far as I can tell no rust and no rock chips šŸ˜‰

Sponsored

ELJL

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL Hinge corrosion - affects certain colors? Resized_20220501_210942
Likely moisture barrier and friction isolator; doors on hinges move and twist with frame and when opening/closing.

they likely reason that any moisture on the hood will be evaporated/dried out faster with airflow and engine heat.

dem engineers looks for the simple solution. I bet theyre using an anaerobic compound on the threads now.

hats off to jeep for quietly slipping a design solutionā€¦. ā€˜Letā€™s see if this worksā€™

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Likely moisture barrier and friction isolator; doors on hinges move and twist with frame and when opening/closing.

they likely reason that any moisture on the hood will be evaporated/dried out faster with airflow and engine heat.

dem engineers looks for the simple solution. I bet theyre using an anaerobic compound on the threads now.

hats off to jeep for quietly slipping a design solutionā€¦. ā€˜Letā€™s see if this worksā€™
Yeah I really hope for sure they are tackling the issue and have the fix already in place. Fingers crossed. I guess I'll find out over the coming years. Hopefully it works. šŸ™

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
The only thing with trying to pinpoint paint as a possible cause is that Chrysler is having the same corrosion issues with other models as well. When I took my Jeep in to get a warranty claim filed the service writer said that they were having all kinds of corrosion problems with their Pacifica model as well. In order to get a full picture of whether the paint is part of the issue, you would need a sampling of those colors and combinations as well just in case they are available in colors that Jeeps aren't.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If it affects all colors equally, the poll will show it affects the most popular colors the worst.

I believe youā€™d have to offer a control variable for no corrosion on each color as well, and then compare the ratios for each color

OP
OP
KSwilly

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
If it affects all colors equally, the poll will show it affects the most popular colors the worst.
yeah, thereā€™s gonna be some bias in the numbers for a number of factors - itā€™s still early, but Iā€™m already seeing higher numbers in some of the older colors. Mojito, for example. Is it the paint? Or the fact that those Jeeps are more likely to be 2018-2019 models? Or just more popular, as you say? Analyzing the data can be tricky. Still, itā€™s interesting to see it unfold. I may do a follow-up poll in one of the general forum areas to see what are the most popular colors, and weight it accordingly.
Sponsored