Sponsored

Hinge corrosion - affects certain colors?

If you are experiencing hinge corrosion, what color is your Jeep?

• Total voters
OP
OP
KSwilly

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting - the Sting Gray forum has more posts than any other color -over 11,000 posts, but has a low number here. Data suggests it may not be as biased based on popularity.
Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
We have 3 JL's, but I could only vote for one. Fortunately we only have 1 showing the effects so far - the '20 Mojito. Both my '21 HellaYella and my daughter's '22 Snazzberry are good. Not sure how your poll could take age into effect, since I wouldn't expect to see corrosion on a brand new one.

--EDIT--

The Mojito is also experiencing hood corossion.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't notice any corrosion on my 2018 (granite crystal) until after its 4th winter. I suppose I could have missed it, but I don't think it was there for the first 3ish years.

My wife has a '21 sarge green JLU and so far it's good.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Also, just to correct things posted earlier, the doors and hood are aluminum. The tailgate is magnesium. The bolts and the plate it screws into (at least inside the doors) are steel.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Without knowing quantities produced is each color, the poll is inconclusive...

...unless a massive trend develops.

Sponsored

Jihx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Can you add Tuscadero Pink? New color but i'm sure within a year or two we will start seeing it on some of the late 2021 models.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Also, just to correct things posted earlier, the doors and hood are aluminum. The tailgate is magnesium. The bolts and the plate it screws into (at least inside the doors) are steel.
The hinges are aluminium and yes the bolts are steel along with the plates the screw into. I think I may have said earlier the bolts were aluminium.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
20 JLU in billet has it.

20 JT in Granite does not.

Some other data to throw in there.

The JLU was a rental prior to me getting it and was washed regularly. It lived outside of the salt belt.

JT was a private vehicle. Not washed regularly based upon some areas the dealer missed. Lived in the salty state of Indiana for 2 winters before I purchased.

Starting to think it may be accelerated by regular washing adding some ions to the surface between the two components.

Don’t forget that somewhere in the my21 range the started to put gaskets between the hinge and door on some vehicles.
Why only some vehicles?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The hinges are aluminium and yes the bolts are steel along with the plates the screw into. I think I may have said earlier the bolts were aluminium.
So the plates that the bolts screw into are inside the doors, which are aluminum. How to you coat that? You could coat the bolts with a corrosion gel. You could do that with the plates too?

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
So the plates that the bolts screw into are inside the doors, which are aluminum. How to you coat that? You could coat the bolts with a corrosion gel. You could do that with the plates too?
Technically you don't have to. Both the screw and the recieving plate are steel. I am not in the camp that this problem is galvanic corrosion. I think it comes down to :
1. Shitty prep/shitty paint
2. Painting the hinge while attached to the jeep.

That explains why people are getting the bubbles in spots where it's just aluminium. Water is getting under the paint.

HushJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I’ve read most threads and posts regarding bubbles in paint, corrosion and rust on JLs. This is what I’ve learned:

- Doors and hinges are aluminum, bolts and nut plate inside door are steel;

- Doors are painted at the factory with hinges already attached (I.e. there is no paint between them);

- There is no evidence of a protective coating, primer, gasket or seal between the hinge and door, or between steel bolt and aluminum hinge;

- Has affected people with Jeeps in dry climates, who never drive in poor weather, garage kept and meticulously maintain them as well as others in wet areas with salted roads and less washing;

- Possible and likely major cause is galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals in contact with one another;

- Other causes may be poor paint preparation at the factory (I.e. dust, contaminants, inadequate coverage, etc);

- May not affect all Jeeps but affects a disturbing proportion of them.

A warranty claim or repaint will postpone the issue a few years according to owners who’ve gone that route.

Regarding hinge areas, if you’re going to be proactive, go in 100% (I.e. coat, seal, isolate, paint) as a few have done!

Regarding corrosion at edges of hood or doors… not sure.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I’ve read most threads and posts regarding bubbles in paint, corrosion and rust on JLs. This is what I’ve learned:

- Doors and hinges are aluminum, bolts and nut plate inside door are steel;

- Doors are painted at the factory with hinges already attached (I.e. there is no paint between them);

- There is no evidence of a protective coating, primer, gasket or seal between the hinge and door, or between steel bolt and aluminum hinge;

- Has affected people with Jeeps in dry climates, who never drive in poor weather, garage kept and meticulously maintain them as well as others in wet areas with salted roads and less washing;

- Possible and likely major cause is galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals in contact with one another;

- Other causes may be poor paint preparation at the factory (I.e. dust, contaminants, inadequate coverage, etc);

- May not affect all Jeeps but affects a disturbing proportion of them.

A warranty claim or repaint will postpone the issue a few years according to owners who’ve gone that route.

Regarding hinge areas, if you’re going to be proactive, go in 100% (I.e. coat, seal, isolate, paint) as a few have done!

Regarding corrosion at edges of hood or doors… not sure.
Also it looks like newer ones they are painting the door and hinges seperately. Some members have seen a type of gasket or at the absolute least, a gap where the old ones didn't have a gap between door and hinges.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also it looks like newer ones they are painting the door and hinges seperately. Some members have seen a type of gasket or at the absolute least, a gap where the old ones didn't have a gap between door and hinges.
That’s good if they are addressing the issue now.
but still you have to treat the nut plate inside the door with something

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
That’s good if they are addressing the issue now.
but still you have to treat the nut plate inside the door with something
Well, technically it's steel on steel so, I don't think so. I looked real close at mine when I had them all off and none of the backing plates was showing any corrosion. Granted I didnt have any bubbling before I did my hinges in LineX though either. I don't imagine it would hurt to coat them if the hinges are off anyway.
Sponsored