Sponsored

Hinge corrosion - affects certain colors?

If you are experiencing hinge corrosion, what color is your Jeep?

• Total voters

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
This is an effort to collect some data on the hinge corrosion issue - if your Jeep has experienced this issue, what color is your Jeep?

The fact that it’s so hit-or-miss - some 2018 owners don’t have it, while some 2022 owners already see it happening - I’m curious if there’s any correlation to the paint color that makes the problem more susceptible. If there’s data that supports that, it could point to paint ingredients, or a particular process unique to a particular color, or even a failed process when a particular color is painted at the factory, like failing to seal between the metals.
Please post if a color is missing from the poll (or add it if that’s allowed). I may not have all the 2018-2019 colors.
Sponsored

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
Good thought but you'll probably want to narrow down by colors their build dates too. I'd imagine there is a Lot code to each batch of paint. Not sure if that info would be available to us peasants however.

OP
OP
KSwilly

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good thought but you'll probably want to narrow down by colors their build dates too. I'd imagine there is a Lot code to each batch of paint.
great follow up! If this poll shows a specific trend, we could narrow this down by build dates for sure. I didn’t see any previous effort to check color before - thought it may yield some kind of “smoking gun” (or not).

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Add Punkin Metallic

Sponsored

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
Not sure what paint color would have to do with it. It's galvanic corrosion caused by aluminum in the doors coming into contact with the steel of the hinges. It would be a lack of a barrier coating between the two i.e. the primer. I still don't know why they haven't just placed a thin rubber gasket or similar between the two and been done with it.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yes^^^^^^^ what he said.......... two dissimilar metals! You need to add Ocean blue Metalic also!

Smoke ‘Em

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR
Didn’t happen to my hinges, but corrosion hit my door edges and hood edges on my 19 mojito JLR.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
20 JLU in billet has it.

20 JT in Granite does not.

Some other data to throw in there.

The JLU was a rental prior to me getting it and was washed regularly. It lived outside of the salt belt.

JT was a private vehicle. Not washed regularly based upon some areas the dealer missed. Lived in the salty state of Indiana for 2 winters before I purchased.

Starting to think it may be accelerated by regular washing adding some ions to the surface between the two components.

Don’t forget that somewhere in the my21 range the started to put gaskets between the hinge and door on some vehicles.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
From what I've observed, most of this seems to be occurring with metallic color paints, as if whatever makes the paint 'metallic' is contributing to the conductive problem that's going on.

More generally, I've tried to avoid metallic finishes because there has been a long history of problems with them-- fading, peeling, failing clear coat, and now this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KSwilly

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what paint color would have to do with it. It's galvanic corrosion caused by aluminum in the doors coming into contact with the steel of the hinges.
I understand it’s primarily a galvanic corrosion issue - the current data suggests that some are seeing it show up much faster than other Jeep owners.
This may point to some additional factor why it affects some but not others. There may not be a correlation to paint color, or we may discover that a particular set of colors may see it show up sooner than others. That gives us something more to go on.
I’ve worked in manufacturing before and seen different shifts do things differently, including forgetting steps that led to failures. The paint itself may or may not be the issue - it could be a forgotten sealing step, forgetting to install a spacer between metals, or even a metallic paint formulation that adds to the reaction. Worth asking the question.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Not sure what paint color would have to do with it. It's galvanic corrosion caused by aluminum in the doors coming into contact with the steel of the hinges. It would be a lack of a barrier coating between the two i.e. the primer. I still don't know why they haven't just placed a thin rubber gasket or similar between the two and been done with it.
The hinges are not steel. The only steel or non aluminium anywhere near the hinges is the retaining nut that holds them on.
Personally I think it's because they paint the hinges on the door and there are microscopic holes for water to get in there and corrode the aluminum.

Also why we see it on other spots and why some don't have it.

Last edited:

Mike_Hawk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GOBI JLUR 3.6
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

I recently (3 weeks ago) picked up a new 2022 Gobi Rubicon and the hinges have a thin gasket between them and the doors. I'm not sure if this is a new thing they started doing, but it's definitely visible.

Oddly enough, there aren't gaskets on the hood hinges.

EDIT: After looking into it, there aren't gaskets on the hood or back gate because 1) the hood is fiberglass stamped steel, and 2) the back gate is steel which is the same as the hinges.

EDIT 2: It turns out I was looking at a replica hood that was fiberglass, the original is stamped steel. I'm confused on what material the hinges are now that someone posted a picture with magnets next to the rear hinges

Last edited:

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yeah you would think the tailgate also and the hood and windshield hinges. But then why the edges of the doors and the front edge of the hoods?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I recently (3 weeks ago) picked up a new 2022 Gobi Rubicon and the hinges have a thin gasket between them and the doors. I'm not sure if this is a new thing they started doing, but it's definitely visible.

Oddly enough, there aren't gaskets on the hood hinges.

EDIT: After looking into it, there aren't gaskets on the hood or back gate because 1) the hood is fiberglass, and 2) the back gate is steel which is the same as the hinges
What hood is fiberglass?
And the hinges nor the tail gate are steel.

These are extremely strong magnets millimeters beside my tail hinge.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hinge corrosion - affects certain colors? 20220822_171147
Sponsored