Heated Auto Shifter Knob?

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Having had several top loader transmissions apart (T-18's, NP-435's etc) to put new output shafts in them to adapt to Jeep transfer cases, I can tell you first hand that putting slight pressure on the shift forks absolutely causes an amount of unnecessary wear. Especially with those transmissions that typically have longer shift levers (more leverage).

Maverickxeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 TJ Sport
Having had several top loader transmissions apart (T-18's, NP-435's etc) to put new output shafts in them to adapt to Jeep transfer cases, I can tell you first hand that putting slight pressure on the shift forks absolutely causes an amount of unnecessary wear. Especially with those transmissions that typically have longer shift levers (more leverage).
Is it anything substantial though? I do imagine there is more wear, but I can't imagine it is enough to make a huge difference in 'service life.'

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Is it anything substantial though? I do imagine there is more wear, but I can't imagine it is enough to make a huge difference in 'service life.'
Probably not substantial....
But knowing that it's happening, was enough for me not to rest my hand there 😉

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
known issue.

look around this site and you should be able to find some posts about the various things people have used to plug up some of the center vents of the defroster in order to direct more airflow to the sides.

Only defrost part of the windshield. For a small window would think they could do better. Ice and snow builds up on the sides of the windshield into vision and will not defrost it works fine in the center.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
all good cases to have both hands on the wheel.
problem solved, and control and safety improved. win/win/win!

Yes, I know it's a Jeep. No reason we can't be comfortable while crawling over rocks, splashing through mud, or exploring a snowed-over forest road.

PXL_20220101_201311709.jpg

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Years ago, I owned and showed MGBs. It was well-known within that owner community to avoid resting one's hand on the shift lever when driving, something very easy to do in the model's cozy interior.

The abbreviated height of the B's shift lever meant that resting one's hand on the shift knob created downward pressure that, over time, was confirmed to cause accelerated wear on the shift fork(s) in the gearbox. This was authenticated by relevant photos of disassembled transmissions. Damaged shift forks can affect the operation of the synchronizers, which will in turn affect shift quality. A cascade effect.

So, there it is.

The foregoing is a data point of one, but it's also well-proven. How or even if this matter crosswalks to the Aisin in the current-gen. Wrangler isn't anything I personally care about (my JLU has the 850RE); I'm just passing on my related experience.

If any of the OEMs actually warn against it in their Owner's Manuals, that should add a bit of necessary context here.
I had an ‘08 GT500 and I remember resting my hand on the shifter. I noticed one day I could feel a slight grinding/buffeting sensation when resting the full weight of my hand and arm on it vs just lightly touching it. That was enough convincing for me.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Like I imagine most of you, I typically drive with one hand on the wheel, and the other resting on my shifter, even in an automatic. While the steering wheel is heated, the shifter knob is not, so my right hand is typically freezing in the winter, while my left hand is spoiled with the heated steering wheel.
So in other words, you reallly just riding around feeling like you have your hand on your d***. Didn’t you parents tell you that will stunt your growth?

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Deleted member 59498

known issue.

look around this site and you should be able to find some posts about the various things people have used to plug up some of the center vents of the defroster in order to direct more airflow to the sides.
Yeah I need to do that and get it fixed up. Thanks

Buddwiser

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
Some of you guys are hilarious. Never rest your hand on the shifter. Geez. I wish someone would have told me that at some point in my 40 years of driving semis, some with up to 16 forward gears. I always left my hand on the shifter then as I do now in my Wrangler. I'm pretty sure had I ruined a 16 spd transmission by leaving my hand on the shifter, my maintenance people, not to mention the owner would have had a few choice words for me.