Sponsored

Hard top wind noise

JeepRock71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have the whistle noise coming from my hard top (only generates at 45mph or higher) and after reading this thread for months I've tried every adjustment recommended. Based on its central location (essentially the gap where the freedom panels meet) I was convinced it had to be the position of the panels - I tried to make sure they were perfectly aligned assuming turbulence may be causing the noise. I experimented with clamping them down more, then less... all to no avail. Was ready to write it off as cross wind and nothing more I could do. Then today after a wash I decided to tape the entire rubber gasket around the windshield went for a drive and bingo no more noise! On the way back I removed the tape and whistle returned. I recall another forum member taping his windshield but can't remember the outcome. Off to the dealership this week to see if I can get it resolved.
Hi I just saw this and I am thinking I might be the other forum member you mentioned? I had the whistling noise and did tape my windshield to try and isolate it. Long story short, the dealer ended up trimming the gasket around the windshield and after that I’m happy to say the whistling was gone and has not returned. I hope this helps.
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I just sprayed everywhere in the interior where the top meets the windshield with Flexseal and it's quiet as Christmas Eve inside now.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
That’s a joke right? Sprayed flex seal? Lol

DiabloBlanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I've tried to read through before asking this, but is this exclusively an issue with the hard top? Is the soft top quieter on the JLU?

seguerski

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S 3.6L Sting Gray, 2014 Jeep MK Compass Latitude 2.4L
Here's some pictures:
This is the 2" strip of sound tape
IMG_1203.JPG

and Here's the Header Seal transition
IMG_1204.JPG

and here's the dip I mentioned
IMG_1205.JPG

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I've tried to read through before asking this, but is this exclusively an issue with the hard top? Is the soft top quieter on the JLU?
Not on my Jeep. My hardtop (with Mopar headliners) on stock 33" Rubi tires is about as quiet as my Infiniti Q50 Red Sport with low profile UHP summer tires. Jeep is dominated by wind noise where the Infiniti is dominated by tire noise. Not the best but liveable and I can have a cell phone conversation on the highway.

With my soft top (premium), it is a good deal louder.

landj

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 cj5 95yj 18 mojito jlur
Occupation
Project manager
I found the latches above the sun visor's have almost no tension. I took a small piece of rubber hose, split it in 2 put it on the tab that the latch pad touches. Test drove it up to 80mph. It made a huge improvement.It was night and day

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I don’t have excessive wind noise, but know that I could probably fix anyone’s after reading every page of this thread. ;) I also learned a few other things.

1. Some of you are insane and probably can hear the wind as you read this. Lol
2. Some have regular wind noise and just want to complain.
3. Some people read one post and just assume peoples complaints are bogus.
4. Others have a genuine issue that is related to QC, but you can prob fix it yourself if you try to narrow it down one seam at at time (painful to “hear”, but true). I saw one guy fix his issue in Oct post and someone gave the fix in March. :idea:

sfadchi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Bright White JLUR
Occupation
Corporate Recruiter
I don’t have excessive wind noise, but know that I could probably fix anyone’s after reading every page of this thread. ;) I also learned a few other things.

1. Some of you are insane and probably can hear the wind as you read this. Lol
2. Some have regular wind noise and just want to complain.
3. Some people read one post and just assume peoples complaints are bogus.
4. Others have a genuine issue that is related to QC, but you can prob fix it yourself if you try to narrow it down one seam at at time (painful to “hear”, but true). I saw one guy fix his issue in Oct post and someone gave the fix in March. :idea:

5. Some people just have 17 Post and most of them are all trolling!

Reactions: JC7

Sponsored

Desoxyn

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport 2 door manual
Took delivery of my 2019 JL 2 door sport(soft top) the day before thanksgiving, and the wind noise was driving me insane. Sounded like I had a window cracked.

I looked at the driver side window seal from the inside(where the noise was) and I could see light! This is with the door completely closed.

ZX5r9R7.jpg

I folded the windshield down, loosened all 4 hinge bolts on the back of the windshield, and pushed the windshield toward the gap. It broke the paint free on the windshield and everything moved about 2mm toward the driver side(based on the old paint mark).

Now the wind noise is completely gone and there is no more gap!

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
Took delivery of my 2019 JL 2 door sport(soft top) the day before thanksgiving, and the wind noise was driving me insane. Sounded like I had a window cracked.

I looked at the driver side window seal from the inside(where the noise was) and I could see light! This is with the door completely closed.

ZX5r9R7.jpg

I folded the windshield down, loosened all 4 hinge bolts on the back of the windshield, and pushed the windshield toward the gap. It broke the paint free on the windshield and everything moved about 2mm toward the driver side(based on the old paint mark).

Now the wind noise is completely gone and there is no more gap!
How did that pass the dreaded water test?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
ya that looks bad. Water is definitely getting in there.

Desoxyn

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport 2 door manual
How did that pass the dreaded water test?
Funnily enough, it was pouring down rain right before I took this pic. That was while I was driving at 65 on the interstate. When I got to work and took the pic not a drop inside the cab or the door seal. No clue how.
Sponsored