Half doors

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Your what? You ordered the retrofit package? If so did you finish it yet? I really want sliders but don't know if I am brave enough to slice up my current half door tops to do this conversion. I wish someone just sold them, they make everything for jeeps, how can no one be making these sliders anymore?
I like the retrofit JK sliders too and would also be hesitant to slice up my half door tops. Unfortunately, there just are not enough JK half door owners out there to justify large scale production of sliders. Bestop would have a set on the market if there was enough demand.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Rain or car wash does not get the interior wet... only leaving the upper doors off during rain... I had a JK with half doors in NJ for 10 years and rain or car washes never got the interior wet, not even a drop. I love my stock half doors and can’t believe you cannot order a JL with half doors.
There are many different variations of experiences. IMO you should count yourself lucky. I ordered my JKU with half doors. It gets wet inside during moderate to heavy rains. The door skins also don't seal like my old YJ. So high pressure washes in self car washes when angling up can let water in (between skin and door). So to the OP, it could be either. Take that info and do with it as you see fit. Should it stop you from getting half doors? IMO absolutely not!

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I bought my JK with full doors and then bought Mopar half doors later. That $1,460 ends up being closer to $4,000 by the time you add in power locks, uppers, and paint (on a four door at least).

And since my full doors have been in the basement since getting the halfs on, I know that for me at least there's literally no point in buying a JL with full doors. Hopefully the package the dealer was referring to that will have half doors is based on a Rubicon and not some goofy "over priced sticker package" like some of the JK trim options were.

What I'm most curious about are how the uppers are built. I'm fine with the factory soft uppers as they are on the JK but there were rumors about a hard upper with a slider window.
Worst part is that any non-factory built door is never the same a factory built door. The fit, the finish, etc. while really good - is still just a little off compared to the Jeep factory builds.

I built a set of full doors for my YJ. They're great but not as good as my factory halves.

Swadehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Hard Rock, 2019 Rubicon, 2023 392
Wish Jeep sold a real base model with half doors standard again. Half and full doors are the same price on a new Jeep. Thus why you rarely see them outside the warm all the time areas anymore.

I could count the number of half door JKs I've seen in Nj on one hand.
Mine may have been one. :)

SpiderWebShade3_LI.jpg

37s 7.jpg

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
I just bought one with half doors, and spend a lot of time at the jersey shore in the summer, so you may see mine soon too! Make sure to do the jeep wave if you see me!!!

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Since the 2018 JK has half doors as an option, I think it entirely reasonable that they will be an option for the JL.
Not everything is revealed yet, I'm betting they will be available, just as with the JK. Fingers crossed.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Hoping. They do look nice. The JK half door is an under appreciated gem in my opinion. Wish they sold the base model with half doors as models in the past.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Love the look of window-less half-doors with the top off/down. That's what I think about when I think of summertime Jeep fun. Hoping we can get half-doors for the JL, either factory or some quality aftermarket ones.

Pete

NWGS

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2013 JKU on 1tons and 40's, Dodge Viper
Anybody in this forum have the half doors, or have buddies with them? Did you/they for any reason regret getting them? Assuming they still are an option on the JL, I was planning on getting them because I love the way the wrangler looks with them, especially with the window portions off, but I wanted to know what people's experiences have been with them, and whether or not, if they could go back, would get the full metal doors. I have always had the full metal doors, other than buying the complete soft doors on the aftermarket which were a nightmare most of the time, so I am trying to gain some insights. Thanks for any feedback you might have
I bought the factory half doors on Craigslist a year after I got my JKU. I would run those and my softop for 6 months out of the the year in Washington and loved them.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
isnt there a drivers side air bag now? I wonder how that interacts with half door or the half tube doors?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
isnt there a drivers side air bag now? I wonder how that interacts with half door or the half tube doors?
Not a problem, same as JK. The side airbag deploys from the seat.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Watch some of the IHS crash tests. You'll see that doors seem to pop out when they do the offset impact. The side airbags stay in the cabin.

Pretty rad stuff.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
The question is -- will half doors be available from the factory WITH full doors as well? I rather spend the money building half doors than having to build full doors.

edit: apparently MOPAR sells the half doors ... quadratec for $1460 with everything, but you have to paint them. So figure ~$2000 painted. Not too bad.
I am an auto painter by trade and depending on the color, it would run at least $500 per door. Gets pricey quick!
Sponsored