Sponsored

Half doors

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
The question is -- will half doors be available from the factory WITH full doors as well? I rather spend the money building half doors than having to build full doors.

edit: apparently MOPAR sells the half doors ... quadratec for $1460 with everything, but you have to paint them. So figure ~$2000 painted. Not too bad.
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Here in BC Canada, the Motor vehicle regulations state that if a vehicle comes with doors it must have doors on. If FC no longer offers half doors factory then it makes haveing half doors possibly illegal. It's a grey area I'd rather not deal with so I hope FC offers them.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited
The question is -- will half doors be available from the factory WITH full doors as well? I rather spend the money building half doors than having to build full doors.

edit: apparently MOPAR sells the half doors ... quadratec for $1460 with everything, but you have to paint them. So figure ~$2000 painted. Not too bad.
I bought my JK with full doors and then bought Mopar half doors later. That $1,460 ends up being closer to $4,000 by the time you add in power locks, uppers, and paint (on a four door at least).

And since my full doors have been in the basement since getting the halfs on, I know that for me at least there's literally no point in buying a JL with full doors. Hopefully the package the dealer was referring to that will have half doors is based on a Rubicon and not some goofy "over priced sticker package" like some of the JK trim options were.

What I'm most curious about are how the uppers are built. I'm fine with the factory soft uppers as they are on the JK but there were rumors about a hard upper with a slider window.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Hard uppers with the sliding window have been an aftermarket item since the YJ came out with half doors.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon Unlimited
Not for JK's.

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Not for JK's.
Never noticed that. I think the decline in JKs sold with half doors has something to do with that. Most JKs are sold with full doors now. The YJ and the TJ sold tons of base models with half doors only.

For most of the YJ run, every soft top YJ sold was half doors only. Wasn't until 93-95 that Jeep sold a full door with soft top version. Even those were quite rare.

WebDevDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Gonna go trade my 2013 JK for a brand new 2018 JKU with half doors on Friday. The "definitely maybe" as to whether or not halves will be available finally pushed me over the edge. I suppose if they ever come out then I could always trade up, but by that point I'll probably be eyeballing the JT...

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
I posted this in another threAd, but also thought it would be good to post it here too.

So, I am still wavering but leaning pretty heavily towards a JK at this point, primarily for a ā€œhappy wife happy lifeā€ predicament. I have a question for guys with half doors. I went to look at a ā€˜17 with half doors, dealer knew I was coming so they ā€œcleaned it upā€, running it through the car wash.

Hereā€™s the predicament, when I test drove it, the driver side floor was really wet. I am assuming due to the pressure of the water in the car wash, but it had rained recently. anything I should be concerned about, or no biggie, just the car wash pressure. If just the car wash I ainā€™t gonna sweat it, I wonā€™t be driving through them regularly

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Never noticed that. I think the decline in JKs sold with half doors has something to do with that. Most JKs are sold with full doors now. The YJ and the TJ sold tons of base models with half doors only.

For most of the YJ run, every soft top YJ sold was half doors only. Wasn't until 93-95 that Jeep sold a full door with soft top version. Even those were quite rare.
This retrofit kit looks pretty nice. It replaces the existing zipper windows in the soft upper top.

Sponsored

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I posted this in another threAd, but also thought it would be good to post it here too.

So, I am still wavering but leaning pretty heavily towards a JK at this point, primarily for a ā€œhappy wife happy lifeā€ predicament. I have a question for guys with half doors. I went to look at a ā€˜17 with half doors, dealer knew I was coming so they ā€œcleaned it upā€, running it through the car wash.

Hereā€™s the predicament, when I test drove it, the driver side floor was really wet. I am assuming due to the pressure of the water in the car wash, but it had rained recently. anything I should be concerned about, or no biggie, just the car wash pressure. If just the car wash I ainā€™t gonna sweat it, I wonā€™t be driving through them regularly
Rain or car wash does not get the interior wet... only leaving the upper doors off during rain... I had a JK with half doors in NJ for 10 years and rain or car washes never got the interior wet, not even a drop. I love my stock half doors and canā€™t believe you cannot order a JL with half doors.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Wish Jeep sold a real base model with half doors standard again. Half and full doors are the same price on a new Jeep. Thus why you rarely see them outside the warm all the time areas anymore.

I could count the number of half door JKs I've seen in Nj on one hand.
Mine was probably one of them :)

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Mine will be here tomorrow :)
Your what? You ordered the retrofit package? If so did you finish it yet? I really want sliders but don't know if I am brave enough to slice up my current half door tops to do this conversion. I wish someone just sold them, they make everything for jeeps, how can no one be making these sliders anymore?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Here in BC Canada, the Motor vehicle regulations state that if a vehicle comes with doors it must have doors on. If FC no longer offers half doors factory then it makes haveing half doors possibly illegal. It's a grey area I'd rather not deal with so I hope FC offers them.
I heard they are only allowed to have sporks up there, too. They might hurt themselves, otherwise.
Sponsored