GPS issues

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Count me in here too. 2018 JLUR with 8.4. Compass is off and nav has me driving across fields and oceans nowhere near where I actually am. I have ski racks mounted on the Jeep and just assumed this might be causing interference with the gps antenna. I mostly use Waze so I haven’t taken the racks off to check if that’s indeed the issue.

Any idea if that might be the cause? Do you all have roof mounted racks or gear?
Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Nav is about 15 miles off course here. It seems there would be a way to force it to recalculate without disconnecting the battery. I’m running just the soft top.

RLW007

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Dealer is ordering me a new radio. GPS just quit suddenly. Know telling how long this will take

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Maybe MOPAR sends you two screen protectors per package, so you’ll have a spare for when your Nav bites the dust.

Hilaryl1983

First Name
Hilary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ocean blue Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I’m in same boat. 2020 rubicon jlu. GPS putting me 4 hours away from my home, brought to dealer on Friday morning and they said the fix is to replace the radio, but that the radio is on back order....... which sucks. Driving my $60k rubicon knowing there is this mass problem with it just makes me angry. I absolutely love my jeep, but this is a major issue and seems like a fix should be quicker than waiting months like it looks like so many people are doing! Here is to hoping they start manufacturing these radios more quickly for us... while not sacrificing quality so we do not have the same issues or different ones! 🤞🤞

Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea this kind of stuff is annoying for sure. Truthfully I dont use the in-dash nav much with CarPlay available, but I would like the compass to be right and if there was ever a need to track the vehicle as stolen, I assume that would be fu*led in its current state.

oh yea... and we paid for it to work. There’s that too! Hopefully I’ll get mine fixed when I bring it in for the latest clutch recall.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
About two weeks ago, my 2019 JLU Sahara (still all at stock level) with over 52,000 miles on it received an OTA u-connect update on 8.4 system. Now, my navigation will start out correct, but after about 6 to 10 miles it starts to wander off from the road I am on, sooner if do any turns. The further I drive, the more it loses location and I can many miles off. In 2019 I drove my jeep to as far north as Fairbanks, Alaska and other locations in Canada from Mason, Michigan and back. The navigation system worked great with the Jeep (which has had no other issues) for this trip and several golf trips to the southern States. I was very impressed with its accuracy of the road situations. The OTA update occurred with my Jeep in the enclosed garage and I wonder if it did not fully update. I plan on taking it to the dealer this week. Hopefully, they can reload the software update. Someone mentioned disconnecting the battery. I see how to disconnect the main battery, but how do you also disconnect the smaller battery to create a hard boot?

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My 2019 is garaged, too. Wondering about update issues also.
My guess is that both batteries need to be disconnected, but mine is still under warranty @14,000 miles. So it’s just a matter of finding time to get to the dealer to fix the radio, clutch recall and steering box rehab.
So much for waiting a year to buy a newer model. Maybe by year 4 or 5 they will have the bugs figured out.

wyobob44

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 , 17 Indian Chieftain, 12 Ford F-350 Dually 4X4, 74 Jeep Wangoneer
Occupation
Retired
Add me to this as well, compass is about 180 degrees off, the GPS shows 0 foot elevation and the coordinates are a good 60 miles off all on Off Road Pages and Navigation is off by 60+ miles as well.
Called dealer and have an appointment for next thursday a week and half away
Hope @JeepCares is watching this closely

Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strange how many of us are having such a similar issue here and across a range of model years. Sounds like maybe a bad software update might be a good guess? I can’t imagine the hardware would fail in such a similar way across a few different models and years. Please let us know what ur dealer finds. Thnx!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello everyone--

We're super sorry to hear about the concerns that you are all experiencing with your infotainment systems. However, if you'd like additional support while working with your dealers to get this addressed, please do not hesitate to send our @JeepCares team a private message! We'd be happy to investigate it further.

Thanks in advance,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

Big Red Rubicon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ; 2014 FLHTK
I’m in same boat. 2020 rubicon jlu. GPS putting me 4 hours away from my home, brought to dealer on Friday morning and they said the fix is to replace the radio, but that the radio is on back order....... which sucks. Driving my $60k rubicon knowing there is this mass problem with it just makes me angry. I absolutely love my jeep, but this is a major issue and seems like a fix should be quicker than waiting months like it looks like so many people are doing! Here is to hoping they start manufacturing these radios more quickly for us... while not sacrificing quality so we do not have the same issues or different ones! 🤞🤞
I have had a case open on this for almost 2 months now. My dealer has no idea when the replacement radio will be in their hands.

I have noticed and I'm not certain, but when my phone is not plugged into the USBc port the GPS location seems to work however when I am plugged in both the GPS on the NAV and my phone GPS are off location. I also have an open PM with Jeep Cares...

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The issue is the aircard.

The UConnect has an embedded 4G cellular card it uses to establish GPS position for navigation. When this card dies, which is much more common on 2018 models, your navigation won't have the correct position. You can verify this by launching either the Wi-Fi Hotspot app or the App Manager app and in the top left corner, you'll see you have no 4G signal.

There's nothing wrong with your antenna, unplugging batteries won't fix it, and roof racks or non-OEM tops aren't the problem.

Updating the software won't fix this issue, either. In fact, it'll brick your radio since it requires the aircard to function to not only complete the update, but also revert to your previous version if it fails.

Unfortunately, your radio will have to be replaced.