Sponsored

Got a 392, ask away.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
A couple comments/questions:

First: I agree with everyone else, love the Sarge Green! It definitely wears the bronze accents better than all the other colors. :like:

Second: Keep us posted if the paddle shifters start to feel more responsive with mileage, and/or increased RPM or throttle pressure.

Third: What didn't you like about the rear camera? Do you also have the off-road trail camera option? I've heard that you get a different rear camera with that package, so I'm curious if the performance is different as well.

And Finally: Given your background, you may be able to answer a random question I have about the stereo performance.

There was a thread in the general forum a few months back, where a guy mentioned that he and his wife, or girlfriend, both owned similar JL's, and both had the same factory stereo upgrade option, and they both also had hard tops. Yet, he said the same stereo sounded quite a bit better in hers than it did in his. The only thing he mentioned that was different between the two was that his had the hardtop headliner. So my question is this: I also ordered mine with the hardtop headliner, so I'm curious if you think that this could in fact have been making a significant difference, and if so, would removing the headliner really make the performance of the stereo noticeably better, and even if it did, would it also greatly increase the level of road noise/tire noise.

(I don't even know if liner removal is even possible, so I guess I'm just asking hypothetically.)

Thanks for your time,
-Rob
Hardtop liners have always made them sound better to me. My 392 has the liners but, with the exhaust on and the M/Ts, the music gets hard to hear.
Sponsored

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
do the 37s fit with no rubbing etc when flexed?
Haven’t had a chance to take off road yet. Hopefully sometime this month. I do have a 1.5” lift and extended bump stops on mine and the 37” KO2s actually measure ~35.25”. My goal is not to rub.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

First: I agree with everyone else, love the Sarge Green! It definitely wears the bronze accents better than all the other colors. :like:

Second: Keep us posted if the paddle shifters start to feel more responsive with mileage, and/or increased RPM or throttle pressure.

Third: What didn't you like about the rear camera? Do you also have the off-road trail camera option? I've heard that you get a different rear camera with that package, so I'm curious if the performance is different as well.

And Finally: Given your background, you may be able to answer a random question I have about the stereo performance.

There was a thread in the general forum a few months back, where a guy mentioned that he and his wife, or girlfriend, both owned similar JL's, and both had the same factory stereo upgrade option, and they both also had hard tops. Yet, he said the same stereo sounded quite a bit better in hers than it did in his. The only thing he mentioned that was different between the two was that his had the hardtop headliner. So my question is this: I also ordered mine with the hardtop headliner, so I'm curious if you think that this could in fact have been making a significant difference, and if so, would removing the headliner really make the performance of the stereo noticeably better, and even if it did, would it also greatly increase the level of road noise/tire noise.

(I don't even know if liner removal is even possible, so I guess I'm just asking hypothetically.)

Thanks for your time,
-Rob
Hardtop headliners should make the sound stage in the jeep better, not worse.

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
do the 37s fit with no rubbing etc when flexed?

40s fit with no flex. My guess is that 37s are going to be right on the cusp. I would expect some rub.

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
I get 13 mpg on my 6 speed manual. 35 in BFG KO2 stock gearing. Painfully slow, it see 6500 rpm all the time, just painfully slow. I wish they fill 392 orders faster.......

b182665684d8858082f361f61d6f633.jpg
I too switched from a manual, the power delivery from that transmission was.... honestly dangerous. Do you have a 392 on order?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler

Thanks for your time,
-Rob
Thank you sir (and all others who complemented the color).

While novelty, I still enjoy using the paddle shifters. Its become kind of a timing thing, shifting a full second before actually desiring a gear change. I'll do a video at some point to show. The gear changes themselves are fine, its the lag from the paddles/shifter that makes it impractical. I have not ran through 1st-4th all the way yet but I will soon; I expect that one would rev limit if they tried to use the shifter at the appropriate time.

The night vision on the rear camera is terrible. When pulling off the flatbed it was literally unusable. Looked like the screen had a total of 20 pixels, couldn't tell a trashcan from the road. During the day it is fine. I have not used it while driving yet.

And as to your final question, yes. A headliner in a hard top will significantly improve the sound over raw plastic. Awkward sound reflections cause distorted sound. A headliner softens the sound. Same principle applies to listening to music in a carpeted room vs a cement floored garage. You get a "tinny" sound with more reflective surfaces.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

40s fit with no flex. My guess is that 37s are going to be right on the cusp. I would expect some rub.
I am referring to fitting with the Factory wheels. most testing of larger tires have used aftermarket wheels. I plan to run takeoff 392 beadlocks on my JLUR on order but I am concerned that the backspace may not work well even lifted.

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
I am referring to fitting with the Factory wheels. most testing of larger tires have used aftermarket wheels. I plan to run takeoff 392 beadlocks on my JLUR on order but I am concerned that the backspace may not work well even lifted.
I do plan on running 37s on stocks but there is a good bit to do before that. You'll have to wait on me for that or find out elsewhere. Goodluck

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I do plan on running 37s on stocks but there is a good bit to do before that. You'll have to wait on me for that or find out elsewhere. Goodluck
well, with the current parts delays and since my salesman has went radio silent for the last week I may have plenty of time to wait lol.

I have read they are the same backspace as the Mopar Performance beadlocks, and also the same as factory Rubicon (JL) wheels. one would work fine with 37s, the other would rub at full stuff. I would think they would at least be the backspace of a Mojave wheel, which I think may work for 37s when lifted, but still looking into that.

a lot ofmp guessing out there on specs, but nothing official I have found yet. Maybe of someone has a wheel off it will have the backspace printed on it?

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I too switched from a manual, the power delivery from that transmission was.... honestly dangerous. Do you have a 392 on order?
yes. it's on order, I'm late to this game, hopefully I will get mine soon.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
yes. it's on order, I'm late to this game, hopefully I will get mine soon.
While I only waited 3 days for mine, I can say that it is well worth the wait. The manual was such a let down for me.

OP
OP

Taanto

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler
well, with the current parts delays and since my salesman has went radio silent for the last week I may have plenty of time to wait lol.

I have read they are the same backspace as the Mopar Performance beadlocks, and also the same as factory Rubicon (JL) wheels. one would work fine with 37s, the other would rub at full stuff. I would think they would at least be the backspace of a Mojave wheel, which I think may work for 37s when lifted, but still looking into that.

a lot ofmp guessing out there on specs, but nothing official I have found yet. Maybe of someone has a wheel off it will have the backspace printed on it?
I can just crawl under there and measure but its unlikely to be super precise. What are the respective wheel's backspacing (rubi jls vs beadlocks)?

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s

392 Beadlock Backspacing is 6.125”, measured by me, with a tape measurer. Same as stock JLUR.

For this reason I went with the original Mopar beadlocks with 4.4” BS to run my 37x12.5x17 wheels.

Jeep Wrangler JL Got a 392, ask away. ABEE4995-EDBE-47A3-92C4-B480647724AB

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
392 Beadlock Backspacing is 6.125”, measured by me, with a tape measurer. Same as stock JLUR.

For this reason I went with the original Mopar beadlocks with 4.4” BS to run my 37x12.5x17 wheels.

Jeep Wrangler JL Got a 392, ask away. ABEE4995-EDBE-47A3-92C4-B480647724AB
that is exactly what I was thinking with the backspace. I was hoping maybe it was between the Mopar beadlocks and the stock JLUR backspace. I guess no luck.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!

ABEE4995-EDBE-47A3-92C4-B480647724AB.jpeg
Eli, I hope you don't mind, but this pic has kind of become my "GO TO" comparison shot for wheels & tires I've been considering. :like:

I have a quick confirmation question if that's ok, since it really helps me visualize my options, but how much total width do you think you added on each side over stock?

(I'm guesstimating that it was around 1.6" from the new offset, plus the extra half inch of wheel and one inch of tire, to about 2 to 2.25 inches per side?)

For what it's worth, I'm leaning towards a 18 x 9 inch wide wheel with a -12 offset (about 4.5" backspacing on a 9" wheel) at this point, with 35 x 12.50 K02's. And I'm trying to figure out how far out they will sit, and if it will rub the the outer fender on a 392 without a lift or spacer.

Thanks for any guidance.
-Rob
Sponsored